The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just been for a run.

Only managed one lap round the park (about 1.5 miles), but I did it 2 minutes faster than usual :smile:
Original post by HellowHellow
Has anybody on here invested in any barbells/dumbells? If yes, where from and how much? And how useful d you find them?

Also, do people on here ONLY weigh themselves, or also use other methods to measure fat loss/weight loss?

x

I got mine from Argos.. although I'm ashamed to say that I haven't used them for five days so they're sitting gathering a bit of dust. I must get them out at some point!

Also, I weigh myself (far too much but I can't help it) and I have a sheet of measurements from February and July that I took, so I can actually prove there's some kind of change. I will start doing the body fat percentage as well when I'm actually down to a healthy weight, but there's no point now as I know it wouldn't be great.

Taking photos is amazing, particularly if you stand in the same position wearing the same clothes.. I put together a recent photo with a photo from Jan. 1st all the time. It makes me see for sure how far I've come!
Original post by -jessica

I got my dumbbells from argos, and I think they were around the £20 mark. I love them, and you can build them up (they go up to 7.5kg each :eek:) as you get stronger :smile:

I have a habit of weighing myself every morning, but I'm trying to stop this and am going to start weighing myself once or twice a week. I also use a tape measure sometimes.

Edit: I think its these ones.

Yeh, I think I'm going to invest in some but I also want a barbell :smile: I also do this, but then it panicks me, so I just do it once a week. Thinking of actually doing it once a fortnight!

Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I got mine from Argos.. although I'm ashamed to say that I haven't used them for five days so they're sitting gathering a bit of dust. I must get them out at some point!

Also, I weigh myself (far too much but I can't help it) and I have a sheet of measurements from February and July that I took, so I can actually prove there's some kind of change. I will start doing the body fat percentage as well when I'm actually down to a healthy weight, but there's no point now as I know it wouldn't be great.

Taking photos is amazing, particularly if you stand in the same position wearing the same clothes.. I put together a recent photo with a photo from Jan. 1st all the time. It makes me see for sure how far I've come!

My weight just fluctuates stupidly! :mad: So I measured myself this morning. 35-27-35 :smile: See how much that changes in a fortnight! :smile:

Thanks guys!
(edited 12 years ago)

My weight just fluctuates stupidly! :mad: So I measured myself this morning. 35-27-35 :smile: See how much that changes in a fortnight! :smile:
!

Oh wow, you're so in proportion! Hopefully your weight won't fluctuate too much but remember it's one of those annoying female things we have to put up with!.
Original post by ChelseyElla
Oh wow, you're so in proportion! Hopefully your weight won't fluctuate too much but remember it's one of those annoying female things we have to put up with!.

You're probbably gonna hate me for saying this, but it is SO annoying. To find clothes/bras is such an effort! Seriously 30F bras on a 5ft 2" girl :rolleyes:. Also my thighs are pretty big (but I think that is from alot of running/sports). My weight fluctuates too much so it's tape measure and pictures time! Anyway thanks haha :smile:
I'm struggling with boredom eating while being home :/
I need to find something to do!
My kettlebell set arrived today so just did Jillian Michaels shred it with weights and then ripped in 30 with my dumbells. Off to the gym in a bit:biggrin:
Reply 1387
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];33298152']I'm struggling with boredom eating while being home :/

I eat when I'm bored as well, it's a pain in the arse inbetween uni terms because I don't have as many friends at home as I do around uni, so I can't occupy myself with going out. Just dull dull dullity.
Original post by Sorani
I eat when I'm bored as well, it's a pain in the arse inbetween uni terms because I don't have as many friends at home as I do around uni, so I can't occupy myself with going out. Just dull dull dullity.

I know how that feels! But I have to find things to keep myself occupied that involve exercise :biggrin:.
Reply 1389
:rolleyes:. Also my thighs are pretty big (but I think that is from alot of running/sports)

Women naturally have more powerful and muscular legs than men, so strong thighs is perfectly normal :wink:

[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];33298152']I'm struggling with boredom eating while being home :/

Original post by Sorani

I find that making sure I have enough small snacks around the house is good for this when I feel a moment of weakness coming in.
Sainsburys Basics petit filous' are lush, 62kcals each (for a small pot, but you just gotta eat it in half-teaspoonfuls and it feels like more), and I dip raw veg in salsa or humous (carrot sticks, cabbage strips, peppers, cucumber etc.). Bread sticks are good too: 20kcals per breadstick, so I eat a couple of those- if I don't want them dry I have a Laughing Cow triangle with them (total 100kcals snack).

I also find it helps me to have a structure to my day: I have a set number of calories each day that I know either fall into the categories of breakfast, lunch, dinner or snacks. That way I prevent myself from overeating somewhere.
Had a macdonalds just now, went to a healthy place 1st for lunch and they had no jacket potatoes, and my friend insisted on McD's so I gave in. Was so good though, that I don't have the energy to feel bad for it haha! :biggrin:

Better day tmro! x
It's time like this I wish I had a wii (fit).

Cause I feel like doing somthing, but it's a lot of effort to go to the gym, plus I'm guessing it'll be packed, considering how busy it is during the day. I could go for a walk, but I don't really like wandering aimlessly, and I have nothing to do.

Haven't been too bad for snacking so far - had a couple of small handfuls of salted popcorn, and a nectarine. Only just under 2 hours til dinner...
(edited 12 years ago)
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];33301366']It's time like this I wish I had a wii (fit).

Cause I feel like doing somthing, but it's a lot of effort to go to the gym, plus I'm guessing it'll be packed, considering how busy it is during the day. I could go for a walk, but I don't really like wandering aimlessly, and I have nothing to do.

Haven't been too bad for snacking so far - had a couple of small handfuls of salted popcorn, and a nectarine. Only just under 2 hours til dinner...

Get one get one get one! They're AMAZING! Haha.

I'm going to go over by about 300 cals today, but will still be below my BMR so nothing major. Done some exercise as well so will be okay I'm sure!

Love to all.
Can't afford one unfortunately :frown:
My boyfriend used to have a wii, but it's currently in storage, then I think his mum is buying it off him. My brother only has an xbox.
Original post by Nut.
Women naturally have more powerful and muscular legs than men, so strong thighs is perfectly normal :wink:

:colonhash:
Reply 1395
Original post by Shawshank

is he serious? I can't tell
Reply 1396
Original post by a_t
is he serious? I can't tell

Original post by Shawshank

I might have phrased it slightly wrong, but I did read it online from a book somewhere. I've done a search again (I read it a while ago) and I've come up with some similar stuff again.
It might be wrong- you guys seem pretty incredulous about it.

Book was "Myths Of Gender: Biological Theories About Women And Men" by Anne Fausto-Sterling, and it says within it: "Leg strength measured relative to lean body weight (leaving out the fat differences) actually shows women's legs to be 5.8 percent stronger than men's."

I can't find a study source because the book shows up on multiple forums. I'm now presuming that this "fact" presented in it was wrong? Or that I have entirely misinterpreted it? :colondollar:
Nono I can believe that as women have have shorter levers to work with, I was just hoping you had the context behind it :p:
Reply 1398
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];33303132']
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];33303132']Can't afford one unfortunately :frown:
My boyfriend used to have a wii, but it's currently in storage, then I think his mum is buying it off him. My brother only has an xbox.

Get a kinect, i have one its awesome, you can get zumba on it aswell which is better than on the wii because theres no controller.
You're probbably gonna hate me for saying this, but it is SO annoying. To find clothes/bras is such an effort! Seriously 30F bras on a 5ft 2" girl :rolleyes:. Also my thighs are pretty big (but I think that is from alot of running/sports). My weight fluctuates too much so it's tape measure and pictures time! Anyway thanks haha :smile:

Eeek, I see what you mean with the bra thing. One of my friends had enough trouble getting 32DD! I always moan about having small breasts but atleast it's easy for my to buy bras. Eve if it is one of the sizes that go first in sales :frown:

Latest