The Student Room Group

Would you be able to enjoy yourself at a nightclub without alcohol?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marsha2112
I thought I could, but actually, no. It's not really the same...I love the music and the dancing, but the people just become annoying and it's a bit like "why am I doing this". If you're drunk, everything you say/do is a fantastic idea.

until the morning
Original post by jblackmoustache
Would you be able to go to a nightclub and not drink or is the booze part of the experience?

Lets say we're in... A typical nightclub that plays all the generic music that everybody knows. Nothing too special.

The vast majority wouldn't, not in britian at least.

Take a survey of any weekend city nightspot and I think you'll find that the majority of revellers will have drunk alcohol before the night out, during and after, all to heighten their enjoyment by limiting thier inhibitions (the reason why people drink socially)
Reply 42
Only really ever go to CatHouse (rock/metal/punk nightclub)
Been in sober, it's fine until around 1am, then people start getting touchy feely and start trying to come on to me.
Been there, done that.........and it is NOT fun, just really boring.
I used to think I could. I thought with a positive attitude and a good bunch of friends you could do it. I have tried it a few times and can conclusively say no.

Going to a nightclub sober is the most dull, boring, annoying experience I have had on a night out. Dancing can be fun, but what you do in a club is not dancing its more of a slight oscillation and occasional jerk - something you don't really notice when drunk. Chatting with friends is fun, but good luck trying to do that in a club - and when you are sober, standing a cm from your friends ear and roaring at the top of your voice only to be misheard/not understood becomes tiresome and hopeless far quicker than when you are drunk. Drink prices for non-alcoholic stuff is twice what you would pay outside a club. You have just paid for the privilege of entering the place. You realise the music which normally merely provides words for singing to and a beat for moving to - is total dirge than you would never choose to listen to sober. Or if it is good, it is either being blasted out louder than the speakers can properly reproduce it - or the acoustics in the place are crap and so sounds ****e anyway. Finally, for me - as I am robbed of talking to a girl, then I require a little Dutch courage to become part of the meat-market economy that is involved in pulling in a club. If I am sober then I am not going to be getting any girls in a club.

So to answer your question. No. Nor would I ever inflict such torture upon myself again.
Perhaps twice I've been sober on a night out. Absolutely awful experience. Everyone else is drunk and therefore a prick, I'm too shy to dance because I feel like an idiot, and I can't stand drunken chavs pushing into me while I attempt to dance.

An alcohol fuelled night is so much better. I gain confidence I couldn't dream of having when sober, I'm incredibly sociable, have no qualms about dancing, and I find it easier to ignore all the pushing that goes on.

However, if a club had a strict no-drinking policy, well I probably would enjoy it. Half of the reason I drink, as I said above, is so I'm not left out and I don't hate everyone who's drunk when I'm not. Though I doubt as much dancing would occur from everyone.
Reply 46
Original post by scott202
My expressive dance is second to none.

I Take it all back. Wish i had more +rep to give.
Reply 47
Hell no. When your sober you dont get up to half the antics you do when your out of it. Would i sit on a traffic light when i'm sober? No, but when I was drunk it was the best damn thing to do in the world.
Definately not, I can't even enjoy it after a small amount of alcohol, I have to be moderately drunk. Unless I was taking drugs then I could.
Would you be able to go to a nightclub and not drink or is the booze part of the experience?

Lets say we're in... A typical nightclub that plays all the generic music that everybody knows. Nothing too special.

Isn't that what E's are for?
Original post by Libertinedreamer
Isn't that what E's are for?

I thought it was M-Cat that was big now :lol:
honestly no. I feel too self conscious to dance without alcohol.
Drunk people are irritating unless you're drunk too.

I know it's been said a fair few times in this thread but it's a fair point. Having a dance at home sober with friends is fine though-it's those other people I find difficult to tolerate.

:h:
Reply 53
Original post by bammzie
Only really ever go to CatHouse (rock/metal/punk nightclub)
Been in sober, it's fine until around 1am, then people start getting touchy feely and start trying to come on to me.

Haha, Cathouse is awesome... You think the folks in there are a bit hands on later, try some of the more commercial clubs :biggrin:

I've been to Cathouse sober many times and enjoyed it, wouldn't do it again in the Garage or any Liquid type venue... :smile:
If the music's good, then yeah it's ok. It's definitely better when you're tipsy though.
Reply 55

Depends what the atmosphere is like, there was a club near the uni I went to in Canterbury. In my first year I went there loads of times pretty drunk, thought it was a great place. I went there sober one night, I realised it was a ****hole, a lot of the people there were complete ********s (the girls more than the boys, the lads just drink & have a laugh, the girls were bitchy and one even stuck her middle finger up at me because a bloke she was trying to get on commented on my fancy dress!) and I like heavy metal and indie, they played snoop dogg and I just wanted to leave.

I prefer pubs or bars that open late, I like a pint, a chat and a good laugh.
Reply 56
Not in a club that plays generic rnb, pop or whatever you wanna call it. I'd need to be drunk to enter anyway :/
Take me to somewhere that plays some good dnb/dubstep, and I wouldn't need the alcohol to have a good time :smile:
Reply 57
No worries, I go out quite regularly and drink very little or nothing... doesn't worry me in the slightest! :biggrin:
If I'm on a natural high (like the night before graduation) I don't need booze. But usually, being a little tipsy makes things more interesting.
I have. For the first couple of hours it was fine, but then when people around you are off their faces, and bumping into you - something I would normally ignore if I was drunk too - it gets annoying REALLY quickly!

Quick Reply

Latest