The Student Room Group

My mum is a dictator

I like to discuss and debate things with friends and other people i meet. If you try to debate or put forward an argument with my mum she will just say "shut up" "just shut up!!!" "**** off and move out then" you can't debate or explain anything if you disagree with her then you are wrong and anything you say is ignored.

This isn't really a problem just that if she wasn't my mum she would be a person i would never want to speak to and would probably hate.
Don't debate with your mother then. :\
maybe she just doesnt want to argue?
My step dad is the same.

The solution was to move out. And in fact it means that sometimes we can now have these debates/discussions because he no longer hates the sight of me, and also I've grown up a lot, so I can put arguments across much more reasonably.

Just a thought, are you debating relevant things or are you trying out being a devil's advocate and saying things like "if you put a pound on the lottery each week you are insuring yourself against losing out on the jackpot!" or "fox-hunting is actually necessary" or "vegetarianism will save the world!" because then I totally sympathise with her
Reply 4
Original post by Blindsailor
My step dad is the same.

The solution was to move out. And in fact it means that sometimes we can now have these debates/discussions because he no longer hates the sight of me, and also I've grown up a lot, so I can put arguments across much more reasonably.

Just a thought, are you debating relevant things or are you trying out being a devil's advocate and saying things like "if you put a pound on the lottery each week you are insuring yourself against losing out on the jackpot!" or "fox-hunting is actually necessary" or "vegetarianism will save the world!" because then I totally sympathise with her

no i don't bring up any silly topics she could suddenly show me something or say something then i'll express my opinion on it and be told to shut up
Original post by Jacktri
no i don't bring up any silly topics she could suddenly show me something or say something then i'll express my opinion on it and be told to shut up

Oh right so she's very much of the 'children should be seen and not heard' mindset then? Have you spoken to her about it? Ask her why she'll show or ask you something if she doesn't want an opinion. I can't think she just wants you to look indifferent. That's plain rude.
Reply 6
Original post by Jacktri
I like to discuss and debate things with friends and other people i meet. If you try to debate or put forward an argument with my mum she will just say "shut up" "just shut up!!!" "**** off and move out then" you can't debate or explain anything if you disagree with her then you are wrong and anything you say is ignored.

This isn't really a problem just that if she wasn't my mum she would be a person i would never want to speak to and would probably hate.

I've had the same problem with my Mother for years. The only solution I've found it to move out, but on my own terms.

So don't move out when she threatens you, you just have to put up with it until you're done with education and have a job to pay the bills, then you leave.
Reply 7
Original post by The Mr Z
I've had the same problem with my Mother for years. The only solution I've found it to move out, but on my own terms.

So don't move out when she threatens you, you just have to put up with it until you're done with education and have a job to pay the bills, then you leave.

my solution is to not shut up
Reply 8
sounds like a lot of mum tbf.........just avoid debating with her, there's nothing you can do to change her
Reply 9
My dad is a dictator :mad: :angry:
perhaps your mum (and everyone elses parents/guardians) have better things to do than debate with you. They are probably busy cooking your food, cleaning your room, washing your clothes, and working to pay for your mobile phone bill. Stop being immature, get a job, buy your mum some flowers and do the dishes for her once in a while.

Oh, and you have no god damn idea what it is like to suffer at the hands of a dictator, no idea what so ever so don't even try to make the pathetic comparison between that and your parents, show some respect.
Reply 11
Original post by mikestraws
perhaps your mum (and everyone elses parents/guardians) have better things to do than debate with you. They are probably busy cooking your food, cleaning your room, washing your clothes, and working to pay for your mobile phone bill. Stop being immature, get a job, buy your mum some flowers and do the dishes for her once in a while.

Oh, and you have no god damn idea what it is like to suffer at the hands of a dictator, no idea what so ever so don't even try to make the pathetic comparison between that and your parents, show some respect.

a dictator is a person that talks and doesn't listen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending