The Student Room Group

Accounting and Finance applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pinklover96
is Manchester university or Manchester met good for accounting and finance degree .

Both.....as long as you get 300-340 ucas points (prefably first time round if you can) it dosnt matter which uni you go to to do a+f....as long as you get a 2:1
At the end of ur degree....NB man met offers more exemptions but manc of is highly ranked globally...but dont be easily fooled by online rankings.....if ur really worries call up some employerss and ask wat sorta students they take on
Original post by Jeeves_90
Both.....as long as you get 300-340 ucas points (prefably first time round if you can) it dosnt matter which uni you go to to do a+f....as long as you get a 2:1
At the end of ur degree....NB man met offers more exemptions but manc of is highly ranked globally...but dont be easily fooled by online rankings.....if ur really worries call up some employerss and ask wat sorta students they take on

Are you sure about that? There must be a reason why some unis are rated better for those courses then others.
Reply 782
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by henry93
I would pick Manchester over Manchester Met every time. Manchester has a much better reputation and prestige and is recognised globally whereas Manchester Met isn't. This would enable you to get a graduate job more easily as you will be more employable which is seen as Manchester has a greater percentage of students employed in graduate jobs from A+F than Manchester Met.

Also the point Jeeves_90 made about it doesn't matter which university you pick as long as you get a 2.1 is in my opinion false. Because a 2.1 from Manchester (or any other Russell Group or top 20 university) is in my opinion better than a 2.1 from a 'lesser' university and I think employers will see it this way too.

LOL....did I hit a nerve :wink:.....

I used to think on the exact same lines as you....If I dont go to a top 20 uni I wont get a job blah blah blah hence my choices of Nottingham and Birmingham.....
yes Manc of has better stats with regards to graduate emploment....as they have a higher cohort of students who enter the course with AAB at A level....but did you look at manc met thier entry requirments are BBB so a lower cohort enter.....so if it came to a grad job then OBVIOUSLY the manc met student will be filtered out first due to the students getting lower A level grades....
.However if someone from man met had AAB at a level and someone at Manc of had AAB it would be an equal playing field for Accounting roles such as Assurance,Coporate tax, Management consulting Auditing etc....I found this out from doing extensive research of the Big 4 companies....Even if you had A*A*A* at a level and a first at uni you still may not get the job as its your characteristics and ability to pass thier AC which determine if you get the job. Going to Manc of wont secure you a place over someone who went to a less reputable universiy

Accounting and finance courses at most Uni's are tailored the way accounting firms require thier future employee's to be....... As long as you have good A levels the sys the limit...BBB is a good starting point for anybody.

However when it comes to other business and Finance related roles then yeah going to a good Uni would be an advantage thats fact....for example Bristol Bath Warwick have a high mathematical and economic content in thier A+F course which is very suitable for roles such as Investment Banking, Investment analysis, Economic Consulting, Corporate tresurey and Risk Management and going to those Uni's will set you for life NO PROBLEM.....
and yeah for iamlovingit your going to a good uni and doing a very good course for Finance and accounting roles and probably have very good future prospects...

But when it comes too accounting roles which involves The ACA ACCA CIMA ICAS CTA CPFA then its as I said above 300 ucas points a 2:1 a good working ethic characteristics and buisness sense will give you alot of oppurtunity....Just becuase someone goes to UEA Man met or wherever dosnt mean thier gunna be at a disadvantage...

Oh and Henry if your reallly worried call up some accounting employers see what student they have :smile:
Reply 784
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 785
Original post by henry93
I never said that employers don't employ students that have graduated from one of the less prestigious universities. I fully recognise that people from Manchester Met and others have gone on to have a very successful career.

I also acknowledge that going to a university such as Manchester wont guarantee you a job over someone else with the same qualifications that went to a less prestigious university as i fully understand other factors influence a employers decision such as personality etc.
What I am saying is that going to a more prestigious and recognised university will let you stand out from the crowd. This will give you an advantage and that is what you want when applying for a job.

But what he's saying is it won't in accounting and the big 4, which is generally true.
However, as he has said already, for other, more prestigious jobs, a better uni does matter ALOT.
This is because the degree is most likely harder, and the calibre of students is better.

So, if your sole aim in accounting, uni choice shouldn't matter too much as long as you meet the minimum requirements. But who would want to go manc met when you could go manc :tongue:
Original post by uxa595
But what he's saying is it won't in accounting and the big 4, which is generally true.
However, as he has said already, for other, more prestigious jobs, a better uni does matter ALOT.
This is because the degree is most likely harder, and the calibre of students is better.

So, if your sole aim in accounting, uni choice shouldn't matter too much as long as you meet the minimum requirements. But who would want to go manc met when you could go manc :tongue:

Lol true :tongue:
Reply 787
what are the top 5 uni's offering this course?
Reply 789
Original post by joy12
what are the top 5 uni's offering this course?

I would put them in tiers tbh.
Warwick and LSE would be tier one.
Bristol, Bath and possibly CASS tier 2.

The link in the post about is hopeless by the looks of it though. Bath is in no way better then LSE and putting uni's like Bham at 55 below Birmingham city uni is a joke.
Edit: Having done Maths and Econ, i guess you know LSE and Warwick are likely to be top considering UCL/Ox/Cam don't offer it :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 790
Original post by uxa595
I would put them in tiers tbh.
Warwick and LSE would be tier one.
Bristol, Bath and possibly CASS tier 2.

The link in the post about is hopeless by the looks of it though. Bath is in no way better then LSE and putting uni's like Bham at 55 became Birmingham city uni is a joke.
Edit: Having done Maths and Econ, i guess you know LSE and Warwick are likely to be top considering UCL/Ox/Cam don't offer it :P

What about UCL, Kings, Imperial, St Andrews, Durham, Manchester?

Yes, I have a brief idea, I know that Warwick, LSE and ofcourse your tier system is very useful.

I am helping my cousin out with his application :smile:
Reply 791
Original post by joy12
What about UCL, Kings, Imperial, St Andrews, Durham, Manchester?

Yes, I have a brief idea, I know that Warwick, LSE and ofcourse your tier system is very useful.

I am helping my cousin out with his application :smile:

None of the uni's you listed except durham and manc offer A&F. While durham is great for econ, for A&F, it's not that great as it's a new course and the business building is located on the other side of the city (away from the main durham campus).

Manchester do A&F and they are probably on the same level as notts and bham. Which are all probably below Bristol and Bath if you were to put them on my tier list.
Original post by uxa595
None of the uni's you listed except durham and manc offer A&F. While durham is great for econ, for A&F, it's not that great as it's a new course and the business building is located on the other side of the city (away from the main durham campus).

Manchester do A&F and they are probably on the same level as notts and bham. Which are all probably below Bristol and Bath if you were to put them on my tier list.

So would I be employable even in big 4 if i graf with a 2.1 in finance from manchester?
Original post by iamlovinit05
So would I be employable even in big 4 if i graf with a 2.1 in finance from manchester?

Yep...well ull qualify for the grad schemes....the interviews and assesment centres are up too you
So has anybody made up thier final descisions yet....ive firmed nottingham the other week nd got thier starter pack for next term lol.... So every other one my choices come up as declined ontrack....jus gotta sort out student finance now...anybody else got an unconditional who has firmed thier places
Reply 795
So has anybody made up thier final descisions yet....ive firmed nottingham the other week nd got thier starter pack for next term lol.... So every other one my choices come up as declined ontrack....jus gotta sort out student finance now...anybody else got an unconditional who has firmed thier places

im stuck on whether choosing between Aston and Birmingham, Aston offer a 4year sandwich course with a placement year which i believe will be very valuable for trying to get a job, as it is all about experience now. But ive had heard that birmingham as the better reputation. so confused
Reply 796
Hey
What are peoples views here of Loughborough Uni for this course? It's supposed to be pretty good right?
Thankss
Original post by ryan609
im stuck on whether choosing between Aston and Birmingham, Aston offer a 4year sandwich course with a placement year which i believe will be very valuable for trying to get a job, as it is all about experience now. But ive had heard that birmingham as the better reputation. so confused

Both are very

Good for accounting........however you do know you can do a placement year at bham uni aswell...you just gotta request it mate....thats what I intend to do at nottingham....truthley im not a fan of aston uni....I didnt like the look of the area it just didnt seem like a nice environment to study.... Bham however looked like a really nice place to go to....im not a fan of the town centre they both have a good reputation so its up to you reallyy....my sister went bham uni and did a placement year at deloitte nd shes doing alright know
Reply 798
Both are very

Good for accounting........however you do know you can do a placement year at bham uni aswell...you just gotta request it mate....thats what I intend to do at nottingham....truthley im not a fan of aston uni....I didnt like the look of the area it just didnt seem like a nice environment to study.... Bham however looked like a really nice place to go to....im not a fan of the town centre they both have a good reputation so its up to you reallyy....my sister went bham uni and did a placement year at deloitte nd shes doing alright know

thanks for your advice, im going to look at both unis again as i have been invited for an open day and then make my decision
Reply 799
Original post by ryan609
thanks for your advice, im going to look at both unis again as i have been invited for an open day and then make my decision

Aston is a ok uni but i found the campus to be ugly and in a horrible area. Plus, their accounting course is heavily based on management, which is something i don't like.

On the other hand, Bham generally has more prestige, is located and is a nice campus and has a course structure i like.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending