The Student Room Group

Accounting and Finance applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by GrandHustle
Thanks. And yes they are, although hopefully they will be AAAA after January, but the Uni's wont see that obviously in my application. And thanks, that's encouraging after reading some of people's grades on here I thought mine were average, but hopefully I can work hard and get the courses I want.
I don't really know what it was about Manchester really that put me off. The actual Uni was nice, but the surrounding area put me off slightly, the course didn't seem as specific as other one's that I have looked at. I think at the end of it all I couldn't see myself living there and the course doesn't quite deliver what I wanted. I've looked into York and Durham this evening and both look like good alternatives. York still worries me about the lack of A+F info (as you reiterated), whilst Durham has higher accommodation costs than most of the other's that I have considered which may hold me back in deciding. Either way I think either York or Durham will fill my final space, although I was recommended to look at Warwick and LSE (which I hadn't considered due to the distance they are from where I live) and will look into all of my options to decide on the most appropriate one for me. By the way, has anyone been to Nottingham yet, I missed the open day but the course really intrigues me and I've heard nothing but good things about it from friends. I'm applying blind, but am certain that I want to apply there even without seeing it in person. Has anyone else been who can give me a second opinion? Thanks

Fantastic grades, you should be fine as Unis know and understand that some students can under perform at AS level and step up their game for A2s; so there is leeway in that regard.
Reply 101
Username: GrandHustle
GCSEs: A*A*A*A*AAAAAAAB
Predicted AS grades (and subjects): Maths A, Geography A, English Lit A, French B
Subjects for A2: Maths, Geography, English Lit, A*A*A
Universities likely to apply to: Leeds, Newcastle, Lancaster, Nottingham, either Manchester, York or Durham.
Extras: Undecided between Manchester and York and Durham. I'm went to see Manchester today (which I wasn't too impressed by), but will look at Manchester, York and Durham and then will make my decision. I am a bit worried that York doesn't seem to be on any A+F League Tables :s-smilie: Anyone know what it's like? Durham has lower entry requirements than all of the rest (ABB) but is well respected, anyone know why there are lower requirements, or has anyone done the course and know if it is a good course despite the low requirement? Also, I'm resitting French AS and English Lit AS to get higher AS grade in French, and help overall tally of points in English.
How do you think my chances are, and anyone know about York for A+F and Durham's course, please?
Thanks

With those grades, you have a good chance of getting an offer from all your choices.
Durham has low entries because it's a new course and it's not on the Durham campus and instead the business school is like 10-15 miles from the actual uni from what i've heard. I guess the good thing is you have a durham stamp on your CV...
Original post by uxa595
With those grades, you have a good chance of getting an offer from all your choices.
Durham has low entries because it's a new course and it's not on the Durham campus and instead the business school is like 10-15 miles from the actual uni from what i've heard. I guess the good thing is you have a durham stamp on your CV...

Ha ha, exactly. The reputation of Durham is doing a lot to sway me. It's on Queen's Campus isn't it? which still looks ok to me, but if it is just the fact that the course is new and on an alternative campus then that isn't too bad. I was worried that it may be that Durham had a poorer quality course than competitors despite its prestigious status, so couldn't expect students to achieve as highly before entering. Thanks for getting back to me and clearing up some of my worries :biggrin:
And thanks, I certainly hope I get offers as I'm working hard to give myself the best chance in the future :smile:
Original post by Choppyy
Fantastic grades, you should be fine as Unis know and understand that some students can under perform at AS level and step up their game for A2s; so there is leeway in that regard.

Thank you, and since I'm now focusing on 3 subjects instead of 4 then I'm hoping that I can step it up and get my predicted A*s and A like you said. :smile:
Thanks. And yes they are, although hopefully they will be AAAA after January, but the Uni's wont see that obviously in my application. And thanks, that's encouraging after reading some of people's grades on here I thought mine were average, but hopefully I can work hard and get the courses I want.
I don't really know what it was about Manchester really that put me off. The actual Uni was nice, but the surrounding area put me off slightly, the course didn't seem as specific as other one's that I have looked at. I think at the end of it all I couldn't see myself living there and the course doesn't quite deliver what I wanted. I've looked into York and Durham this evening and both look like good alternatives. York still worries me about the lack of A+F info (as you reiterated), whilst Durham has higher accommodation costs than most of the other's that I have considered which may hold me back in deciding. Either way I think either York or Durham will fill my final space, although I was recommended to look at Warwick and LSE (which I hadn't considered due to the distance they are from where I live) and will look into all of my options to decide on the most appropriate one for me. By the way, has anyone been to Nottingham yet, I missed the open day but the course really intrigues me and I've heard nothing but good things about it from friends. I'm applying blind, but am certain that I want to apply there even without seeing it in person. Has anyone else been who can give me a second opinion? Thanks

Hey yeh Ive been too Nottingham....The business school is part of Jubilee campus...Its a really nice environment to study....especially if yu get the accomodation on jubilee campus whch is pretty much a 1 minute walk from the business school...Job prospects are high with the business school ....they certainly do help you alot with getting internships and placements...Town centre Is amazing is a bus ride away...not too far but not to close to nottingham trent either lol...

Oh btw go too the open day u'd love it...the business school is top notch
Original post by Jeeves_90
Hey yeh Ive been too Nottingham....The business school is part of Jubilee campus...Its a really nice environment to study....especially if yu get the accomodation on jubilee campus whch is pretty much a 1 minute walk from the business school...Job prospects are high with the business school ....they certainly do help you alot with getting internships and placements...Town centre Is amazing is a bus ride away...not too far but not to close to nottingham trent either lol...

Oh btw go too the open day u'd love it...the business school is top notch

Hey, thanks for the information. I'm looking at either the accommodation on the jubilee campus, or some that is cheaper but a very short distance away. Both look really god, and what I've seen of the campus looks nice (all from pictures). I know that the business school is ranked highly for A+F but what you've said helps me to know that it's a nice place as well. Thanks for your help, and I'll certainly try to get down there to have a look even though I couldn't go to the open day. Thank you
It's fairly obvious that A&F at LSE or Warwick can put you in line to do pretty much any finance/economic job in addition to accountancy, mainyl due to the brand name of the uni, but what about A&F from somewhere like Bristol or Nottingham? Are you destined for accountancy in the Big 4 or can you still open yourself up to plenty of other great careers?

I know Notts and Bristol are very good unis, but in the end the course is A&F and not something more prestigious such as Economics (not trying to slag off A&F, I'm applying for it too), but is the name really good enough to give you a headstart in other careers?
Original post by Confused101
It's fairly obvious that A&F at LSE or Warwick can put you in line to do pretty much any finance/economic job in addition to accountancy, mainyl due to the brand name of the uni, but what about A&F from somewhere like Bristol or Nottingham? Are you destined for accountancy in the Big 4 or can you still open yourself up to plenty of other great careers?

I know Notts and Bristol are very good unis, but in the end the course is A&F and not something more prestigious such as Economics (not trying to slag off A&F, I'm applying for it too), but is the name really good enough to give you a headstart in other careers?

My advice....research all the job prospects with regards to the universities.... but yes graduate destinations by doin A+F at these uni's is VERY good...Like i said in the previous post...Jobs like analyst roles, risk, management consultancy etc require a no stages for you too be successful in for you too actually get the job i.e Online apps-psychometric tests-First round telephone interview-face to face interview THEN assesment centre....and for you too even be eligable for these process's you need to have achieved a 2:1 or upper 2:1 in your 1st second or third year at University...Although the reputation of the university does help alot and attract alot of employers to recruitment days, recruitment fairs etc Big companies do look at your A level grades (Big 4 generally want 320 points minimum) how well your doing in ur degree what experiance you have and you as a person as a whole...I mean ppl who have gone to Cov uni have jobs with deloitte and ernest and young....

Going to a prestigeous uni does help im sure employers are aware of the status of the course at uni...but truthley it is what you make of it
Reply 108
Isn't anyone applying for flying start at newcatle university?
Original post by mali167
Isn't anyone applying for flying start at newcatle university?

Yes me. The PwC combined degree is one of my top degree choices! And Newcastle looks a great Uni and city!
Reply 110
I'm applying for it too, though I'm not convinced by Newcastle Uni or the city. It won't be my 1st choice.
Reply 111
Yes me. The PwC combined degree is one of my top degree choices! And Newcastle looks a great Uni and city!

Have you sent it through on UCAS?
Original post by Choppyy
I'm applying for it too, though I'm not convinced by Newcastle Uni or the city. It won't be my 1st choice.

Why not?
It's among my top 3 with Leeds (because it's local) and Lancaster (who have a similar degree but with Ernst and Young)
I think Newcastle felt vibrant and fun, as well as the Business School which looked quite amazing really. What puts you off Newcastle?
Reply 113
Why not?
It's among my top 3 with Leeds (because it's local) and Lancaster (who have a similar degree but with Ernst and Young)
I think Newcastle felt vibrant and fun, as well as the Business School which looked quite amazing really. What puts you off Newcastle?

When I went to the open day in July, the admissions tutors were extremely vague about PWCs link with the degree and what one could expect if they received a 2.1 after the 4 years from PWC. Seemed a little bit of a gimmick degree where a name is attached to a degree to make it more popular, if anything else.
Reply 114
Original post by Choppyy
When I went to the open day in July, the admissions tutors were extremely vague about PWCs link with the degree and what one could expect if they received a 2.1 after the 4 years from PWC. Seemed a little bit of a gimmick degree where a name is attached to a degree to make it more popular, if anything else.

Man you're puttin me off this course now. Only reason its my 1st choice is coz of pwc which the no. 1 firm right now. But this connection doesn't really exist then its like any other A n F deGree.I dunno you've been there I've only read about it so.......I was only thinkin about 12 exemptions from ICAEW. Wen you finish, you only need like 18 months TWE 2 become an ACA.
Reply 115
Original post by mali167
Man you're puttin me off this course now. Only reason its my 1st choice is coz of pwc which the no. 1 firm right now. But this connection doesn't really exist then its like any other A n F deGree.I dunno you've been there I've only read about it so.......I was only thinkin about 12 exemptions from ICAEW. Wen you finish, you only need like 18 months TWE 2 become an ACA.

That is true, but who would the 18 months be spent with? PWC or a small, independent firm? It isn't clear to me?!
Anybody applying for the PWC Accounting and Business course at Reading University
Reply 117
Original post by Choppyy
That is true, but who would the 18 months be spent with? PWC or a small, independent firm? It isn't clear to me?!

Found this on the website.

A very high proportion of our students go on to further their careers with PwC on graduating. So while you aren't obliged to join PwC (and neither are they obliged to employ you), it is re-assuring to know that the programme provides you with an opportunity to progress to employment with one of the top graduate employers.
Reply 118
GCSEs: AAAAAAAABB
AS Grades: Economics C, Chemistry C, Maths B, Biology D
Predicted A2 grades (and subjects): Economics B, Chemistry C, Maths B
Universities likely to apply to: Northumbia, Nottingham Trent, Hull, Hudderfield and East Anglia
Extras: Resitting Maths C2, Economics and Chemistry Unit 2. Plently of work experiance and run my own business

Any advise on other possible Universites
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by nervous_girl
Username: nervous_girl
GCSEs: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AAAABB
Predicted AS grades (and subjects): Maths (A), Further Maths (A), Applied Business (B), I.T (A) , Mandarin Chinese (A).
Subjects for A2 + predicted grades: Maths (A), Further Maths (A), Applied Business (A), I.T (A)
Universities likely to apply to: LSE, Warwick, Bristol, Bath, Lancaster
Extras: May do EPQ + YASS
Taking resits in AS further maths (decision 1) + applied business (1 paper)
Have already took resit in I.T (1 paper)

Do you think i'll have a chance at any of these uni's? :frown: since 2 of my subjects are considered as 'weak' and also i have and are considering taking resits. 3 resits in total.
Please help :frown:

They don't care about resits you do in year 13, not for A&F anyway.

You should be fine for Bristol Bath and Lancaster, but Warwick/LSE may be a problem with your 'weak' subjects. No harm in applying though.
Best thing to do is call them up and ask directly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending