The Student Room Group

Results/Uni Help please

I was wondering what to do about my results regarding university.

My results were:

H Physics A
H Maths A
H Geography A
H Chemistry B
H English B (Strong Appeal though)

And next year i was going to do:

AH Physics
AH Maths
H Geology

I'm wanting to do Geology at St.Andrews, my grades meet the minimum requirements but i'm not sure whether it would be better for me to retake chemistry and try to get an A or to do the two Advanced Highers which aren't as important to the subject.

Thanks

--------

Also one other question, on unistats.com it tells you the average Ucas points students have achieved before they enter certain degree programs. I have 370 currently but the average for Geology at St.Andrews is 452!?

Would this include 6th year grades aswell? As i was under the impression that they would be added after the university clearing.

Thanks
Reply 1
UCAS points are irrelevant, the majority of top universities ignore them.
Reply 2
Thanks for that.
Original post by Evan7788
I'm wanting to do Geology at St.Andrews, my grades meet the minimum requirements but i'm not sure whether it would be better for me to retake chemistry and try to get an A or to do the two Advanced Highers which aren't as important to the subject.

Given St Andrews say they want AABB for geology without any subject requirements, I don't see why you'd need to bother resitting Higher chemistry. You could perhaps substitute one of your AH subjects for this year to chemistry, then aim to get a B in it if you wanted to show that your chemistry knowledge was at the same level as your other subjects. However, I'd just do which ever subjects you're the most interested in and which ever subjects will make it likely for you to reach a high grade and be predicted a good mark in for your UCAS form.

Have you checked that the other universities do not require an A in chemistry? For example, Edinburgh will generally be looking for AAAA at Higher which was achieved in the first sitting, so you'd ideally need to get your English grade raised in the appeal to meet the profile for Edinburgh.

Also one other question, on unistats.com it tells you the average Ucas points students have achieved before they enter certain degree programs. I have 370 currently but the average for Geology at St.Andrews is 452!?

Would this include 6th year grades aswell? As i was under the impression that they would be added after the university clearing.

Yeah, it will include 6th year grades as well. Its the average number of points for all of the things people have that includes points, not just the things they needed to actually get into university. So if an A at Higher is 80 UCAS points, the average applicant will have say, AAAAB which is 385 points then say an AH grade too. Or alternatively, they might have AAABB at Higher, like you, and then take some AHs too.
Reply 4
I did get 74/77% in my chemistry prelims but it's unlikely for me to get that appeal. I think i might retake it next year, and hope fro the best.

Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by Evan7788
I did get 74/77% in my chemistry prelims but it's unlikely for me to get that appeal. I think i might retake it next year, and hope fro the best.

Thanks

Unless you're applying to unis that require an A in chemistry for the subject you're applying to, I wouldn't resit chemistry. You have a B, which is really good and it would be a waste of time (IMO) resitting just to try and get an A. Loads of people get a B in a higher then go onto do the AH (like me).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending