The Student Room Group

English Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eggs and Ham
You went from B at AS to A* at A2 English Lit? Did you re-take any modules? Congrats on your result!

You see, that's where I'm so confused! I didn't re-take any of the modules. I was on AQA for English Language and Literature (combined course); I got a C in ELLB1 and an A in ELLB2 for AS. But then for A2 I got A for ELLB3 and ELLB4 (UMS 97% for ELLB4). Anyone on here do Friel's 'Translations' for ELLB3 and remember being absolutely dumbfounded at how the extract had anything to do with the question? And THAT unseen extract OMG!

And thank you! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by SidneyHopcroft
You see, that's where I'm so confused! I didn't re-take any of the modules. I was on AQA for English Language and Literature (combined course); I got a C in ELLB1 and an A in ELLB2 for AS. But then for A2 I got A for ELLB3 and ELLB4 (UMS 97% for ELLB4). Anyone on here do Friel's 'Translations' for ELLB3 and remember being absolutely dumbfounded at how the extract had anything to do with the question? And THAT unseen extract OMG!

And thank you! :biggrin:

You got over 90% in your A2 modules, which equates to an A*. However, at AS as far as I'm aware you need an A grade overall to score an A* at A2 (look it up on the web). In your case, I'm guessing what happened is that you had a high Grade B at AS and your high A2 marks averaged everything out for an A* overall (eg let's say you scored a high B , 77% at AS, the extra 3% for an A was made up by your A2 scores).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Eggs and Ham
You got over 90% in your A2 modules, which equates to an A*. However, at AS as far as I'm aware you need an A grade overall to score an A* at A2 (look it up on the web). In your case, I'm guessing what happened is that you had a high Grade B at AS and your high A2 marks averaged everything out for an A* overall (eg let's say you scored a high B , 77% at AS, the extra 3% for an A was made up by your A2 scores).

Ahh that makes sense now, and yeah it was a high B for AS. Still so happy :biggrin: And thank you again :smile:
Reply 743
That's brilliant well done :smile: I got a high B for AS as well for english lit and your result shows that you really can get the grade for A level :smile:
Reply 744
VIRGINIA WOOLF'S MRS DALLOWAY IS ON MY READING LIST. IT HAS TAKEN ME 3 WEEKS TO GET TO PAGE 43.

HELP ME. SOMEONE. WHAT IS THIS WOMAN ON ABOUT AND WHY IS IT SUCH A NON-STORY?

I understand all the 'innovation in literature, stream of conciousness etc etc' but I just wish she hadn't bothered.
Original post by holly6946
VIRGINIA WOOLF'S MRS DALLOWAY IS ON MY READING LIST. IT HAS TAKEN ME 3 WEEKS TO GET TO PAGE 43.

I understand all the 'innovation in literature, stream of conciousness etc etc' but I just wish she hadn't bothered.

Heya! Mrs Dalloway is on my reading list too. I'm literally only a few pages in but can sense that it will be a tough read :frown:

Where are you studying ? I will be at Leeds :biggrin:
Reply 746
Original post by venuswaltz
Heya! Mrs Dalloway is on my reading list too. I'm literally only a few pages in but can sense that it will be a tough read :frown:

Where are you studying ? I will be at Leeds :biggrin:

I'm at Leeds too, BA English Lit and Theatre (: Where are you living? I HATE MRS DALLOWAY. The only way I can get through this book is if Alex Turner records an audiobook version a la 'A Choice of Three' (see youtube.) xxxx
I'm at Leeds too, BA English Lit and Theatre (: Where are you living? I HATE MRS DALLOWAY. The only way I can get through this book is if Alex Turner records an audiobook version a la 'A Choice of Three' (see youtube.) xxxx

Another Leeds English Fresher here! I enjoyed Mrs. D - especially when some of the other characters are introduced.
Reply 748
Has anyone read the picture of dorian gray?
Reply 749
Cool orinooko have you been around exeter yet? Going there this friday? If you have any thoughts? Thanks :smile:
Reply 750
bit random but what do people think of Warwick and Exeter?
Reply 751
Original post by bstar

Yes! I adore that book... and Oscar Wilde. :biggrin:
Original post by bstar

:yep: great descriptions and metaphors as I recall.

You should try 'to the lighthouse'. What a book :no:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending