The Student Room Group

St. Andrews Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laurie:)

[QUOTE=laurie[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];35431786]just got an interviewwwwwww :biggrin: :awesome: :banana: :h:

Check you with your fancy four interviews! Nicely done! I remember you panicking madly when you almost missed the UCAS deadline ;D
hi guys any idea what the ukcat cut off is for st andrews?
Reply 582
Original post by CraigKirk
Check you with your fancy four interviews! Nicely done! I remember you panicking madly when you almost missed the UCAS deadline ;D

ahhh yeah that was not good :tongue:

congrats on your 2 offers! :biggrin:
Is there anyone who still hasn't been acknowledged yet? :confused:
Reply 584
Original post by platty1907

From what I've learnt on forums, acknowledgements seem to mean nothing. Some people get acknowledged then rejected, others seem to never get acknowledged then get an offer straight away(or interview in this case as it's medicine). May be worth emailing them just to check, but if it is on your UCAS track then I wouldn't worry about it :smile:
Reply 585
Congrats to those with offers already! Looking forward to meeting you all next year! I'm hoping to adopt some nice academic children, so keep an eye out!
Px
Original post by polldoll
Congrats to those with offers already! Looking forward to meeting you all next year! I'm hoping to adopt some nice academic children, so keep an eye out!
Px

Does St Andrews use the parent/children thing then? How many children do you get/how many parents do we get?
Reply 587
We have academic families, I have a mum and a dad, and loads of siblings! You can adopt as many as you want! The best events are Raisin weekend and the annual foam fight!
Original post by polldoll
Px

Aha, when I went on the tour around the medical building, one of them mentioned that the second year medics get quite "broody", wanting to adopt some academic children. Conjured up the funniest images :p:
Offers being given out?
Well done well done people!
Christmas came early for some of you.
I guess the next step is to meet your conditional offers!

**Dont mind the current first years, were extremely keen for some reason :P. Look up Raisins and adoptions from the student union website if you want more info.

x
Reply 590

I've still not had an acknowledgement but have got an offer :tongue:
I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean anything! :biggrin:
Ohhhh, looking at this tread makes me wish I could back to having this post-offer excitement that you guys having rather than trying to stuff copious amounts of cranial nerve anatomy and cns/endocrine pharma into my head.
Hi sorry to be a pain but i was wondering if anyone could explain to me the process for moving to another school for clinical years, is it a competitive thing? How are places allocated etc?

Thanks
Original post by Orinincandenza
Hi sorry to be a pain but i was wondering if anyone could explain to me the process for moving to another school for clinical years, is it a competitive thing? How are places allocated etc?

Thanks

When you apply to St Andrews on UCAS you have to choose which you would prefer. If you get an offer it says which site you have been allocated for the clinical years (Manchester or Scotland). I'm unsure if you can change at a later point in time during the course, probably not.

If you picked Scotland, in your second year I believe, you choose out of Edinburgh, Dundee, Aberdeen and Glasgow which one you would prefer to go. The same is true for Manchester except you pick between four different teaching hospitals. They then allocate you to your preference based on your results.

I think this is correct but a current student can correct me if I am wrong.
Original post by Kingbradley6
When you apply to St Andrews on UCAS you have to choose which you would prefer. If you get an offer it says which site you have been allocated for the clinical years (Manchester or Scotland). I'm unsure if you can change at a later point in time during the course, probably not.

If you picked Scotland, in your second year I believe, you choose out of Edinburgh, Dundee, Aberdeen and Glasgow which one you would prefer to go. The same is true for Manchester except you pick between four different teaching hospitals. They then allocate you to your preference based on your results.

I think this is correct but a current student can correct me if I am wrong.

Ok Thankyou
Reply 595
At the open day, they mentioned that it is possible to swap campus if you want after but only in certain circumstances and usually only if there is someone else wanting to switch as well, so in effect you would take eachothers place for the clinical years :smile: hope this helps and good luck.
Reply 596
Original post by Kevlar R
At the open day, they mentioned that it is possible to swap campus if you want after but only in certain circumstances and usually only if there is someone else wanting to switch as well, so in effect you would take eachothers place for the clinical years :smile: hope this helps and good luck.

You can swap IF your grades are high enough and IF there are places left in the other campus (because some of the students do fail the year and they leave opened places). I never heard anyone saying you can swap campuses with someone else and never heard anyone doing such a thing. Anyways, one key factor for swapping is your grade/rank !
Original post by teafil
You can swap IF your grades are high enough and IF there are places left in the other campus (because some of the students do fail the year and they leave opened places). I never heard anyone saying you can swap campuses with someone else and never heard anyone doing such a thing. Anyways, one key factor for swapping is your grade/rank !

By grades, do you mean your results in your first/second year or do you mean our A Levels/GCSEs etc??
Reply 598
By grades, do you mean your results in your first/second year or do you mean our A Levels/GCSEs etc??

Well you already got into uni, so A levels don't mater much now. The most important bit would be the grade you get in the second first of the second year. Still, if there are more students in your situation and with similar grades, they will also take into consideration the grades you got in your first year.

Don;t bother much about it now. But don't start with the idea that it is easy to swap campuses because actually one a couple of people do it.
Original post by Kevlar R

you basically need to be the top of your class.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending