The Student Room Group

St. Andrews Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hm360
Both. You graduate with a BSc (Hons) in Medicine from St Andrews after your 3 years there. After a further 3 years in Manchester, you get an MBChB from Manchester, as if you had been there from year 1.

Ok thank you :smile:
Reply 101
Hi!
With regards to Oxbridge, because the way our degree is structured, you can choose to apply externally to Imperial, Oxford or Cambridge but you would have to finish in the top 5 of the year to stand any chance. However your place at either Manchester or Scotland is held for you, so no matter what, you still get to do your clinical years somewhere!
There is also the option of doing your masters before going on to clinical!

St Andrews is great, I'm loving it so far! Although, if you are a grad, be prepared to be very much in the minority.. Oh and 30% of my year (167 students) are International students, if that is any help to you applicants..

Any other questions, we are here to help!
Px
Reply 102
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Wonderful, thank you :smile: Are you a current student?

This must be the quietest medical school applicants' thread I've seen :p:

i'm a 1st year, aye.
Quiet now... wait to see when interviews start to come out. My life was basically TSR for a few months, until i got my offer.
Reply 103
Original post by polldoll
Hi!
With regards to Oxbridge, because the way our degree is structured, you can choose to apply externally to Imperial, Oxford or Cambridge but you would have to finish in the top 5 of the year to stand any chance. However your place at either Manchester or Scotland is held for you, so no matter what, you still get to do your clinical years somewhere!
There is also the option of doing your masters before going on to clinical!

St Andrews is great, I'm loving it so far! Although, if you are a grad, be prepared to be very much in the minority.. Oh and 30% of my year (167 students) are International students, if that is any help to you applicants..

Any other questions, we are here to help!
Px

Hey P., are you sure we can apply to oxford? I thought only cambridge and ICL are acceptable? hmmmm
There's no need to include module scores on the UCAS form for St Andrews is there?
Original post by platty1907
There's no need to include module scores on the UCAS form for St Andrews is there?

Platty! Applying to St. Andrews again then :tongue: Where else you reapplying to? :smile:

Slight fail as I just realised you had it in your sig :tongue:
Original post by Quackers93
Platty! Applying to St. Andrews again then :tongue: Where else you reapplying to? :smile:

Slight fail as I just realised you had it in your sig :tongue:

Of course I am applying to St Andrews again! There was no doubt about it!
And yes they are in my sig, although I'm 99.9% sure that the last option will be Newcastle.

What about you then Quackers???

:smile:
Of course I am applying to St Andrews again! There was no doubt about it!
And yes they are in my sig, although I'm 99.9% sure that the last option will be Newcastle.

What about you then Quackers???

:smile:

It was same for me, St. Andrews has been the only choice I've kept the same since last year :smile:

This year I'm also applying to Glasgow, Cardiff and Manchester :smile: I was looking at applying to different ones but I ended up doing much better in my ukcat this year than last so though I should rethink which wasn't fun considering it was the night before my college wanted it in haha. I somehow managed to jump from 632.5 to 715 :s-smilie: ... and St.A claimed there wasn't likely to be much improvement :rolleyes:

Should join us over the on the reapplicants thread :smile: Or we even made a nice and friendly reapplicant group on fb that you could join haha :biggrin:
Reply 108
Original post by teafil
Hey P., are you sure we can apply to oxford? I thought only cambridge and ICL are acceptable? hmmmm

I'm sure they said that you can apply there, I may be wrong...
Reply 109
<3 st andrews!

its the complete opposite of where i live (london) but maybe thats why i like it??

edit: i'm also kinda liking how this is a quiet thread - busy threads always make me so confused! :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by oldbatty
care to elaborate?

Original post by Caponester
Stuck down E on my form. I will literally go anywhere. Heard whispers of St Andrews students doing clinical in Oxbridge.

Original post by jasqur
me too! :smile:

St Andrews has an agreement to send a set no of students to Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee or Aberdeen.

You are guaranteed a place at one of these universities for your clinicals.

However, you are free to apply to other medical schools to complete your clinicals as an independent candidate. Since the course is structured in a preclinical/clinical format, it is possible that other universities which have a similar course structure might consider you. You can apply anywhere you want as it's outwith the St Andrews clinical agreement. Whether they will take you is another matter.

Last year 2 St Andrews graduates went to Cambridge. One went to Hong Kong. I don't know if anyone else went elsewhere.

In the past St Andrews graduates have been to Oxford, Cambridge and London.

However, rumour has it that Oxford doesn't accept non Lon-Oxbridge students anymore and Cambridge are reducing the no of non Lon-Oxbridge students they take. I haven't heard of anyone in recent years going to London.

I know people mention ICL, but ICL claims not to accept anyone from outside Lon-Oxbridge.

Cambridge is the most likely currently, apparently they interviewed the top 10 or so from the graduating year. But you have to be at the top to be considered.
(edited 12 years ago)
St Andrews is my first choice university, I love the city, it is so beautiful and the course really appeals to my learning style *fingers crossed*
Application has been sent... good luck to everyone applying to this fantastic university! :smile:
Got an email today asking for further information about my degree modules so at the very least I haven't been rejected outright because of UKCAT or academic ineligibility! (I hope!)

Spoiler

Just got an acknowledgement letter from St. Andrews... LET THE GAME BEGIN!!!
Original post by doctork2
Just got an acknowledgement letter from St. Andrews... LET THE GAME BEGIN!!!

Was it the postcard?? :biggrin: I seem to remember getting a postcard last year :smile:
Was it the postcard?? :biggrin: I seem to remember getting a postcard last year :smile:

Nono, it was an email haha. I live in Canada, so the postcard may take a while!
Reply 117
Original post by Caponester
Got an email today asking for further information about my degree modules so at the very least I haven't been rejected outright because of UKCAT or academic ineligibility! (I hope!)

Spoiler

I and many other people i know were asked to supply further information last year. They do not automatically reject anyone (last year someone with a 580 ukcat was interviewed)... but the rejections generally come after interviews. Asking for further information is a common procedure (i think they have to tick a list of boxes before they can even start assessing your application). What's your UKCAT score?

Best of luck !!!
Reply 118
I read that St Andrews give priority to already achieved A Level grades as opposed to predicted grades. They say they score achieved grades higher when scoring the application.

Does anyone know if any other universities do this, and if so, could you let me know some of the unis. Thanks.
Reply 119
Application sent ! Now the fun bit :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending