The Student Room Group
Reply 1
In brief,excellent, providing its a 2:1 or better and you do some legal work experience. I think its stressed enough on here that not being at Oxbridge doesn't necessarily stop you doing anything in the legal profession.
Warwick is very highly respected.

One of my lecturers at my old uni took his Law degree and LLM(I think it was an LLM...) at Warwick and he was scarily intelligent!
Reply 3
Why not pick Nottingham over Warwick as your firm choice? It's more respected for law.

I've friends at both and Nottingham seems to live up to its reputation a lot more than Warwick does in terms of employment prospects (e.g. TC chances), teaching, environment and resources (for one, Warwick doesn't have its own law faculty unlike Notts and others; Warwick only has a tiny law department floor in the soc sci faculty).

Warwick's offer requirement is greatly disproportionate to its reputation I would think.

Though, if you get a Bristol offer later on, I'd choose that as firm (provided that they don't give outrageous requirements!).
Nottingham is definitely the best one to go to, of the unis you've applied to, in terms of employability.

Obviously, I wouldn't limit your choice just to that. However, I'm at UCL which allegelly has great library facilities and I'm really starting to get ticked off with the number of books not available!

Compared to Bristol and Nottingham, Warwick seems slightly off the radar for Law. For Economics/English I know Warwick is comparably better.

Go to the open day. I wasn't too impressed by the Warwick open day. Bristol is as you'd expect- and if you're still pining for the whole Oxbridge set-up, I'd say go there and apply to Wills Hall. Nottingham has excellent social life, is on the whole safe [I'm from a town about 20 mins away]. And they have really good links with most firms.

But.... keep your fingers crossed for the phone ringing...
Reply 5
I've just spoken to Chris who did his Undergraduate degree at Warwick and went on to do all sorts of marvellous things...

He says it's an entirely subjective question and Warwick will give you as good a competitive chance as anywhere else besides Oxbridge.
Reply 6
LawHopeful
Having just been pooled by Cambridge (so yeah, thats a rejection lol), ive decided to have warwick as my firm choice uni.

Basically, i was wondering hopw respected Warwick is for law, and what are my chances of getting a training contract as a solicitor (outside london) with a law degree from Warwick?

Great but I think you should wait and see if you get an offer from Bristol before making your final decision.

Out of the uni's you've applied to, I'd choose Bristol as my firm, but that's just personal preference.

You might still get into Cambridge.
Reply 7
You've got a chance no matter where you study :smile:

I'm at Leeds Met and got a TC - its harder but its not impossible if you work hard and get those extra-curriculars.

Just a bit of good news for you!! If I can do it, you're well ahead!!! :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending