The Student Room Group

Barts and The London Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Ahh ok, thanks :smile:

The teachers need to realise the difference between advising and telling people where to apply.
They need to realise that ultimately it is your life and your decision so you should apply to where you want to :yep:

I'll play the role of your advisor.

What was your UKCAT and what GCSE grades did you get? :smile:

my advisor can't even remember my name, and everytime i talk to him he asks me what course i'm applying to :angry:

ukcat was 712.5 (biiiiig gap between highest and lowest - 650 and 770) :tongue:
my gcse's were 6A*s and 3As, i wasn't allowed to take more :smile:
Original post by laurie:)
my advisor can't even remember my name, and everytime i talk to him he asks me what course i'm applying to :angry:

Yeah, use our advice on here instead :wink:

Nice UKCAT score :yep:
Though that's not a very big gap :tongue:

KCL should be reasonably safe so long as the rest of your application is ok, a moist feeling knows more about KCL than me but with a high UKCAT and 6A*s you've got a good chance I'd say :yy:

BATL is definitely a place to apply to. As long as you get predicted AAA minimum at A2 level then you should probably get an interview :yep:

For SGUL I really can't see a cutoff being above 630 average so you should get an interview there too..

Just need to work on your PS now I guess :tongue:
Reply 182

The gap between highest and lowest for mine was 310 :colondollar:
Reply 183
Yeah, use our advice on here instead :wink:

Nice UKCAT score :yep:
Though that's not a very big gap :tongue:

KCL should be reasonably safe so long as the rest of your application is ok, a moist feeling knows more about KCL than me but with a high UKCAT and 6A*s you've got a good chance I'd say :yy:

BATL is definitely a place to apply to. As long as you get predicted AAA minimum at A2 level then you should probably get an interview :yep:

For SGUL I really can't see a cutoff being above 630 average so you should get an interview there too..

Just need to work on your PS now I guess :tongue:

lol it seems like a giant gap to me :colondollar:

ahhhh the personal statement, the bane of my life atm :rolleyes:

also, do you think i should take the bmat? or would it be pushing my luck too far :redface:
Reply 184
Original post by Joseppea
The gap between highest and lowest for mine was 310 :colondollar:

ahhh okay, mine doesn't seem that big now :tongue:

then again, your highest score was like 100 above mine :biggrin:
The entry requirements should be remaining the same afaik. It's the interview selection process that has supposedly changed.

I'd recommend applying, not just because BATL it awesome but with A*AAB at A2 achieved you've got 480 UCAS points there so that's pretty good :yy:

We'll let you know asap what the policy is

Do you know when the interview selction process changes?
Are they definitely changing the process?
I have just read:
"A level subjects taken earlier would be considered if they achieved ‘A' grade. Additionally, applicants would need to take three A level subjects in one sitting and are required to achieve a ‘C' grade in the third A level, thereby obtaining AAAC grades."
My business studies a level was taken early, I took AS in year 11 and A2 in my first year at college.
I was going to resit to get an A but I thought that most med schools only dont except resits outside 2year period and I have achieved A*AA in the important subjects.
Does it mean they wont consider my a level in business?
Reply 186
ahhh okay, mine doesn't seem that big now :tongue:

then again, your highest score was like 100 above mine :biggrin:

I think I just got really lucky with my AR sets :colondollar:

I'm glad it's over :biggrin: ..........hopefully forever.
Reply 187
Original post by Joseppea
I think I just got really lucky with my AR sets :colondollar:

I'm glad it's over :biggrin: ..........hopefully forever.

so did i, tbh. i think i only managed to find the patterns in about 3 or 4 of them, the rest i just guessed :redface:

so am i, the feeling of not having to work on that beast is amazing! :biggrin:
lol it seems like a giant gap to me :colondollar:

ahhhh the personal statement, the bane of my life atm :rolleyes:

also, do you think i should take the bmat? or would it be pushing my luck too far :redface:

For those med schools, no. Don't take the BMAT :tongue:

If you want to apply to UCL/Imperial as well then go ahead :tongue:

Original post by racer_dude
Do you know when the interview selction process changes?
Are they definitely changing the process?
I have just read:
"A level subjects taken earlier would be considered if they achieved ‘A' grade. Additionally, applicants would need to take three A level subjects in one sitting and are required to achieve a ‘C' grade in the third A level, thereby obtaining AAAC grades."
My business studies a level was taken early, I took AS in year 11 and A2 in my first year at college.
I was going to resit to get an A but I thought that most med schools only dont except resits outside 2year period and I have achieved A*AA in the important subjects.
Does it mean they wont consider my a level in business?

Not as of yet.

We're still confirming the change before I'll definitely say it's changed for this year :redface:

Where did you read that? Source please :smile:
Once I've had a look at where it's written I'll answer your question
Right guys, I bring answers.

This is the email convo between me and them.

For 2012 entry, applicants will be assessed according to the strength of their academic profile, we will take in to consideration achieved/predicted grades using UCAS tariff points. There is no pre-determined cut-off score as applicants will be competing against the relevant cohort who apply in that year. We will only consider applicants who have a UKCAT of 2400 or above.

Re-applicants are treated in the same manner as new applicants.

Applicants who are shortlisted for interview will be made a final decision based on their interview performance, no other criteria will be used at this stage.

Regards
SMD Admissions

Joseph Mullally wrote:

Dear sir/madam,

My name is Patrick Joseph (Joe) Mullally and I am currently in the process of deciding which medical schools I would like to apply to for 2012 entry. Following visiting the website and reading the prospectus I am almost certain that I will be applying to Barts and The London SMD and was hoping you would be able to help me with a question.
I was checking the website to try and find out how candidates are selected for interview and read that candidates are ranked by UKCAT score, with the top 700 being interviewed. To try and get an idea of what score I might need I went onto a student forum name thestudentroom.co.uk <http://thestudentroom.co.uk> and was told that the interview selection criteria had changed for this year by people that had attended open days to a system where candidates are ranked and selected for interview on UCAS tariffs after meeting a UKCAT cut off score of 600. As such I was hoping to find out for definite which policy is going to be used.

Also, If the new application system is used then will having a stronger UKCAT be advantageous to an individual applying or will someone meeting the threshold by 5 points be treated the same as a candidate meeting the threshold by 105 points (average)?

And

As I am a re-applicant to medicine will my achieved grades be treated differently to predicted grades of applicants?

I appreciate that you are extremely busy at the moment dealing with this years intake and would like to thank you for taking the time to read this and I appreciate the time taken to answer the questions as I was unable to attend the open day.
with regards,

Joe Mullally.

Tl;Dr: ucas tariff system.
Re-applicants are not advantaged by achieving their grades.
blank slate policy used after interview.

Original post by a moist feeling

Original post by oHellno

Original post by Democracy
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by joemullally
x

So basically a standard response that doesn't answer any questions really whatsoever....what more did we expect :sigh:

This won't go well..

First timers, take 4 A2s if you want to apply to BATL.

Reapplicants, stay awesome

Graduates... **** knows

Seems like a very generic reply, thanks anyway :smile:
Reply 193
This won't go well..

Graduates... **** knows

Graduates will be ranked on UKCAT scores as long as they meet the other grad requirements. Yh see what I told you guys I was told at the open day is exactly what was confirmed
Reply 194
Hm I preferred when they just had a UKCAT cut-off, this new process seems a bit strange.

I guess I don't have to rule BATL out though :h:
Original post by aggie30
Graduates will be ranked on UKCAT scores as long as they meet the other grad requirements. Yh see what I told you guys I was told at the open day is exactly what was confirmed

Ah that makes sense.. be a bit difficult to rank 2:1s against each other :redface:
This won't go well..

Graduates... **** knows

And get predictd 4 A*'s because apparently 4A*'s predicted = 4 A*'s achieved.
People again seem to be jumping to conclusions with this very standard reply from an admissions office :erm:

Not as of yet.

We're still confirming the change before I'll definitely say it's changed for this year :redface:

Right guys, I bring answers.

This is the email convo between me and them.

So does this mean that as long as your UKCAT is above 600 you can apply?
Is their an advantage if you have already achieved your A level grades?

Not as of yet.

Link to source:

http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/admissions/medicine/mbbs/admissions/entryrequirements/index.html
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by a moist feeling
People again seem to be jumping to conclusions with this very standard reply from an admissions office :erm:

"Re-applicants are treated in the same manner as new applicants."

I'm assuming that means there's no preference for actually achieving .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending