The Student Room Group

Barts and The London Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3900
Original post by Palladium
Any offers yet? Apparently there have been 5 unconditionals given out this year :s-smilie:

Are you sure those sources are reliable and when did they get the offers? Getting little worried now:s-smilie:
Reply 3901
Hey people,

Does anyone know how Barts score interview performances? Or do the interviewers just decide subjectively whether you get an offer or not?

Many thanks.
Reply 3902
Original post by Palladium
Any offers yet? Apparently there have been 5 unconditionals given out this year :s-smilie:

According to who? (That seems highly unlikely if its for undergrads as its been confirmed that offers will all be given out once all the interviews are done)
Do people think that they are doing this system of telling people in March to try to weed out the people who are going to reject their offers regardless? If you think about it, someone who applies to Barts is (likely) to have applied to another london uni, and perhaps Barts knows that lots of people are choosing this as their 3rd/4th choice and want to weed them out so they can give more offers to people who actually want to come to barts?

Opinions?
Original post by Tench
According to who? (That seems highly unlikely if its for undergrads as its been confirmed that offers will all be given out once all the interviews are done)

Especially as they're saying it was 5 unconditionals, which are not given to the majority of A100 applicants (who are in year 13) :hmmm:
Original post by kingcoltzan
Do people think that they are doing this system of telling people in March to try to weed out the people who are going to reject their offers regardless? If you think about it, someone who applies to Barts is (likely) to have applied to another london uni, and perhaps Barts knows that lots of people are choosing this as their 3rd/4th choice and want to weed them out so they can give more offers to people who actually want to come to barts?

Opinions?

Actually, and this caught me off guard, a lot (or rather a larger than expected number) of the students that I spoke to in the interview waiting room seem to have applied all over the country and to BL as their only London medical school choice. In my experience, I've noticed that people living in/around London generally tend to apply to more than one London medical school whereas people from outside London tend to apply to 1 (or maybe 2 at a push) London medical school(s). This is of course a massive generalisation, as is what you've said, which basically means, no one can really tell to be totally honest. Surprising as this may seem, some people actually want to firm BL when they initially apply - I've got a couple of friends here who really wanted to come here. And tbh, it is MUCH better deciding on offers after the interviewing cycle is finished (albeit a little annoying for applicants) as it gives people who happened to be interviewed earlier no added advantage.
Original post by Medicine Man
Actually, and this caught me off guard, a lot (or rather a larger than expected number) of the students that I spoke to in the interview waiting room seem to have applied all over the country and to BL as their only London medical school choice. In my experience, I've noticed that people living in/around London generally tend to apply to more than one London medical school whereas people from outside London tend to apply to 1 (or maybe 2 at a push) London medical school(s). This is of course a massive generalisation, as is what you've said, which basically means, no one can really tell to be totally honest. Surprising as this may seem, some people actually want to firm BL when they initially apply - I've got a couple of friends here who really wanted to come here. And tbh, it is MUCH better deciding on offers after the interviewing cycle is finished (albeit a little annoying for applicants) as it gives people who happened to be interviewed earlier no added advantage.

But other systems don't give added advantage to earlier interviews either? Take KCL UCL and Imperial.... you have an interview they decide and tell you X days later. The chance of you getting the offer is the same on day one or day X, which is how it should be imo :smile:
But other systems don't give added advantage to earlier interviews either? Take KCL UCL and Imperial.... you have an interview they decide and tell you X days later. The chance of you getting the offer is the same on day one or day X, which is how it should be imo :smile:

But giving out offers once everyone has been interviewed allows a comparison to me made between all interviewees. Newcastle work like that too iirc and on the whole I think it is fairer. With the old system, its quite hard to decide what is 'good' enough overall to warrant an offer as someone offered an earlier interview and subsequently offered a place might have actually performed worse at the interview than someone who was interviewed later on in the cycle but couldn't get a offer because of the offer quota - at a place like BL where once you get an interview, everything is generally forgotten and your performance in the interview is all that matters, I think this is much fairer.
But giving out offers once everyone has been interviewed allows a comparison to me made between all interviewees. Newcastle work like that too iirc and on the whole I think it is fairer. With the old system, its quite hard to decide what is 'good' enough overall to warrant an offer as someone offered an earlier interview and subsequently offered a place might have actually performed worse at the interview than someone who was interviewed later on in the cycle but couldn't get a offer because of the offer quota - at a place like BL where once you get an interview, everything is generally forgotten and your performance in the interview is all that matters, I think this is much fairer.

apparently in the admissions criteria it mentions that tariff scores will also be used to make an offer along with interview performance???

Statistically speaking you are inherently likely to have an advantage if you are interviewed later or earlier depending on which of the two scenarios the medical school is experiencing based on below.

To put this into an example we'll first have to make a few assumptions. Assumtion 1 is that you need to achieve X points on your application to get an offer. Secondly, no university can give an unlimited amount of offers. Finally there are a set amount of interview dates ranging from December to March.

So, let's say the number to achieve an offer is based on a pre-determined value from either last years cycle. They could find out that by the time they get to the January interviews they've already given out enough offers because the quality of applicant this year has been outstanding. What do they do with the rest of the applicants? It would be unfair to reject them because some of them would have higher/equal pre-interview scores as others that had come to interview.

The other scenario is that they give out too few offers as the quality of applicant is worse this year and they end up with equal trouble for undersubscription and have funding cut. What do they do then? Email some who were rejected and give them offers? Or do you lower the cut off so that students who should have been rejected get offers?

Logistically, the way BL have started doing it is a much fairer and easier system. I don't know why more universities haven't adopted doing it. It makes organising course numbers much easier too. It allows a cut-off to be determined in hindsight ridding the "offer quota" issue with those interviewed earlier/later.

BL was the only London university I applied to. I applied to BL, Keele, Leicester & BSMS.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3910
Original post by RollerBall
Statistically speaking you are inherently likely to have an advantage if you are interviewed later or earlier depending on which of the two scenarios the medical school is experiencing based on below.

To put this into an example we'll first have to make a few assumptions. Assumtion 1 is that you need to achieve X points on your application to get an offer. Secondly, no university can give an unlimited amount of offers. Finally there are a set amount of interview dates ranging from December to March.

So, let's say the number to achieve an offer is based on a pre-determined value from either last years cycle. They could find out that by the time they get to the January interviews they've already given out enough offers because the quality of applicant this year has been outstanding. What do they do with the rest of the applicants? It would be unfair to reject them because some of them would have higher/equal pre-interview scores as others that had come to interview.

The other scenario is that they give out too few offers as the quality of applicant is worse this year and they end up with equal trouble for undersubscription and have funding cut. What do they do then? Email some who were rejected and give them offers? Or do you lower the cut off so that students who should have been rejected get offers?

Logistically, the way BL have started doing it is a much fairer and easier system. I don't know why more universities haven't adopted doing it. It makes organising course numbers much easier too. It allows a cut-off to be determined in hindsight ridding the "offer quota" issue with those interviewed earlier/later.

BL was the only London university I applied to. I applied to BL, Keele, Leicester & BSMS.

:drool: Nice specs
Original post by Revent
:drool: Nice specs

Thanks, hopefully ill have everything under water within a month or two too, trying to decide on fittings and colour.
Reply 3912
Thanks, hopefully ill have everything under water within a month or two too, trying to decide on fittings and colour.

:teeth: Water cooling
Got myself an i7 build with air cooling. But GPU died so it's just lying there for now :sad:

It's not hard to decide though! Let me use KCL UCL ICL again... they have some sort of marking criteria/scale and if you are above that you get an offer, simplez. How is that not fair? What to me is fair is that the people with the better overall application should get interviews first, surely that is fair! This is a competitive process. I think your getting confused....at least UCL and ICL , not sure about KCL, if you get an interview, THERE IS A PLACE THERE FOR YOU, so its not about quotas or any other rubbish, its just about impressing on the day enough for them to give offers, so once you have gained an interview, the only person you are competiting against is yourself, which I prefer :smile:

But what's wrong with the system in my above post for UCL /ICL...interview till your full?
Reply 3915
It's not hard to decide though! Let me use KCL UCL ICL again... they have some sort of marking criteria/scale and if you are above that you get an offer, simplez. How is that not fair? What to me is fair is that the people with the better overall application should get interviews first, surely that is fair! This is a competitive process. I think your getting confused....,at least UCL and ICL , not sure about KCL, if you get an interview, THERE IS A PLACE THERE FOR YOU so its not about quotas or any other rubbish, its just about impressing on the day enough for them to give offers, so once you have gained an interview, the only person you are competiting against is yourself, which I prefer :smile:

You can't compete against yourself, the very definition of competition means it has to be against one or more. when people compete with themselves it's more to do with personal progress which isn't the case here.
People with better overall application should get interviews first fair enough, but what are the chances that people who look better on paper will interview better? That's why there are cut-offs and everyone who meets that is interviewed.
I fail to see your point about at least UCL and ICL , not sure about KCL, if you get an interview, THERE IS A PLACE THERE FOR YOU are you suggesting that at Barts it's not the same? Surely if there is no place for you what is the point of their interviewing you? Like it or not every university has a quota because there is a limited number of places, they might give out offers as they interview but they do have a quota and if they have a pre-determined cut-off for the interview then in some way you are competing against others because people who do not meet that will be rejected.
You are clearly infatuated with UCL,KCL blah blah - nothing wrong with that - but you should be open-minded enough to see that every school has it's pros and cons depending on which aspect affects you or in this case your point of view
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by brionyak
You can't compete against yourself, the very definition of competition means it has to be against one or more. when people compete with themselves it's more to do with personal progress which isn't the case here.
People with better overall application should get interviews first fair enough, but what are the chances that people who look better on paper will interview better? That's why there are cut-offs and everyone who meets that is interviewed.
I fail to see your point about at least UCL and ICL , not sure about KCL, if you get an interview, THERE IS A PLACE THERE FOR YOU are you suggesting that at Barts it's not the same? Surely if there is no place for you what is the point of their interviewing you? Like it or not every university has a quota because there is a limited number of places, they might give out offers as they interview but they do have a quota and if they have a pre-determined cut-off for the interview then in some way you are competing against others because people who do not meet that will be rejected.
You are clearly infatuated with UCL,KCL blah blah - nothing wrong with that - but you should be open-minded enough to see that every school has it's pros and cons depending on which aspect affects you or in this case your point of view

My point is that, the only thing standing between you and an offer (if you gain an interview) is performing well enough on the day. At Barts you could perform well on the day, but be 401st and they give out say 400 offers. Fair enough you sort of didn't perform well then.... but I'm just saying that at said institutions you don't feel like you are competiting for a place at interview, because you aren't, the only thing stopping you from getting a place is you. At Barts you and I are competing for a place.... which is fair enough tbh because its a competitive process as you said :smile:

I was merely pointing out that I prefer other systems in terms of the telling you quickly rather than making you wait. It rewards those who get earlier interviews as they have a chance to get an offer earlier. Whereas this system provides no bonus for those who are interviewed earlier. UNLESS Barts follows through with what it seems to say on their website , that they will combine interview score with UCAS Points when deciding who gets offers....That is something I would certainly be against, even though it might benefit me because I do IB hence have the equivalent score of 5 A* at A level I think it is or something stupidly ridiculous due to the generous way UCAS tariff rewards IB. I would be against it because I think that once you get an interview, that should symbol the end of the "academic" selection (if you get what I'm saying?) in that an interview (IMO) should symbolise the institution knows you are now smart enough, they need to now see that your a human being etc etc.

The competiting against oneself was merely a manner of speech.

This is only just my opinion, feel free to disagree, agree, spit on it or whatever :colondollar:
Statistically speaking you are inherently likely to have an advantage if you are interviewed later or earlier depending on which of the two scenarios the medical school is experiencing based on below.To put this into an example we'll first have to make a few assumptions. Assumtion 1 is that you need to achieve X points on your application to get an offer. Secondly, no university can give an unlimited amount of offers. Finally there are a set amount of interview dates ranging from December to March.So, let's say the number to achieve an offer is based on a pre-determined value from either last years cycle. They could find out that by the time they get to the January interviews they've already given out enough offers because the quality of applicant this year has been outstanding. What do they do with the rest of the applicants? It would be unfair to reject them because some of them would have higher/equal pre-interview scores as others that had come to interview. The other scenario is that they give out too few offers as the quality of applicant is worse this year and they end up with equal trouble for undersubscription and have funding cut. What do they do then? Email some who were rejected and give them offers? Or do you lower the cut off so that students who should have been rejected get offers?Logistically, the way BL have started doing it is a much fairer and easier system. I don't know why more universities haven't adopted doing it. It makes organising course numbers much easier too. It allows a cut-off to be determined in hindsight ridding the "offer quota" issue with those interviewed earlier/later.BL was the only London university I applied to. I applied to BL, Keele, Leicester & BSMS.

I see your point there, and agree with it. :yep:
Reply 3918
My point is that, the only thing standing between you and an offer (if you gain an interview) is performing well enough on the day. At Barts you could perform well on the day, but be 401st and they give out say 400 offers. Fair enough you sort of didn't perform well then.... but I'm just saying that at said institutions you don't feel like you are competiting for a place at interview, because you aren't, the only thing stopping you from getting a place is you. At Barts you and I are competing for a place.... which is fair enough tbh because its a competitive process as you said :smile:

I was merely pointing out that I prefer other systems in terms of the telling you quickly rather than making you wait. It rewards those who get earlier interviews as they have a chance to get an offer earlier. Whereas this system provides no bonus for those who are interviewed earlier. UNLESS Barts follows through with what it seems to say on their website , that they will combine interview score with UCAS Points when deciding who gets offers....That is something I would certainly be against, even though it might benefit me because I do IB hence have the equivalent score of 5 A* at A level I think it is or something stupidly ridiculous due to the generous way UCAS tariff rewards IB. I would be against it because I think that once you get an interview, that should symbol the end of the "academic" selection (if you get what I'm saying?) in that an interview (IMO) should symbolise the institution knows you are now smart enough, they need to now see that your a human being etc etc.

The competiting against oneself was merely a manner of speech.

This is only just my opinion, feel free to disagree, agree, spit on it or whatever :colondollar:

I don't spit on people's opinions because at the end of the day they are opinions and are by nature subjective.
I have noticed earlier on you defended these schools for having a fairer system, if being interviewed earlier supposedly give you an advantage then it is an unfair process No? Being interviewed earlier might be to do with your UKCAT etc which is academic in which case, your academics have somehow factored into you having an offer post interview.
I get your first point but what I'm pointing out is although you may feel that your getting an offer in those schools might be down to how well you perform that day, I do not think it is so clear cut. For example, how do they determine how well? This reinforces my previous point that there is some sort of selector.
Lets take a numerical value of 8 and for example you get 7.9 isn't that akin to being 401st when there is a quota of 400? I think that every medical school when thinking of how to give offers always take into value a quota.
Regarding your second point, If Barts follows through with what they said on their website, then they being interviewed earlier isn't an advantage because people with very high UCAS scores like gappers weren't interviewed until this year rather the advantage is with people with high UCAS scores regardless of when you where interviewed.
I agree with you that what should matter post interview is your performance.
We'll just have to wait and see, the way I see it, the people who will benefit more from that will be those sort of in the middle i.e. an good UCAS score and a good interview.
I think they might decide using one or the other e.g a high interview score with a relatively lower UCAS= offer and a high UCAS with a relatively lower interview score= offer.
I'm saying this because I noticed that for people who had interviews, someone normandy I think had a 700ish UKCAT and 510 UCAS points and had an interview whereas someone else with a 615ish I thinks UKCAT and 510 UCAS points did not suggesting they are using both in combination.
Argh my arm hurts from all this typing now why do I have to be so argumentative.:facepalm:
It's not hard to decide though! Let me use KCL UCL ICL again... they have some sort of marking criteria/scale and if you are above that you get an offer, simplez. How is that not fair? What to me is fair is that the people with the better overall application should get interviews first, surely that is fair! This is a competitive process. I think your getting confused....at least UCL and ICL , not sure about KCL, if you get an interview, THERE IS A PLACE THERE FOR YOU, so its not about quotas or any other rubbish, its just about impressing on the day enough for them to give offers, so once you have gained an interview, the only person you are competiting against is yourself, which I prefer :smile:

Re the first bolded bit - well that's not the case though is it? Its not the people with the best overall applications getting an interview, its the people who have got x number of A*s at GCSE or scored well on their UKCAT or BMAT or have done relatively well on whatever arbitrary scale that is being used to select people for an interview in the first place. If it was well and truly holistic in that the entire application was looked at, and everyone's was looked at before the first set of interviews were even given out, then that you could argue is 'fair'. That doesn't happen anywhere though.

Re the second bolded bit - yes, it is. Admission staff have done the maths over many years and sorta know how many offers to give out to end up with a normal sized year in September. Sometimes they get it wrong, but their aim is to end up with roughly the same number of students in each year or else there's some sort of penalty. Using the mentality that "if you get an interview, there is a place for you" will result in a year like mine. That's what BL did - BL interviewed a lot of people back in 2008 (for 2009 entry), which was the year the grade requirements went up to AAAb/AAAC, in the hope that not many people will make the higher offer, but we did; in fact 50 more people than expected did. That then meant people were being offered incentives to take gap years, which didn't happen, so 2010 entry had a much smaller intake than usual to compensate for my bulk year (who would then hopefully intercalate and fall back into the smaller 2010 intake year).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending