The Student Room Group

Dundee Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by ChangedMyMind
Mods, if it is not allow then please don't shoot me!

I'll be vague - the card one was the worst for me. I think I pulled it together more at the end but didn't start well on that one. Think the others went ok - although I found the roleplay with the guy who had diagnosed himself off the internet hard.

I agree with you on the card one. The girl was being pretty difficult and the specific instructions didn't make it any easier to communicate with her. I'm just assuming that its more about how you interact rather than how far you get. I liked the second case though... I thought I had all the answers for him (was my favourite station in fact). Some of the other stations were a bit iffy though but after clarification I thought (hope) I got some credible answers across.
Original post by Vox0
I agree with you on the card one. The girl was being pretty difficult and the specific instructions didn't make it any easier to communicate with her. I'm just assuming that its more about how you interact rather than how far you get. I liked the second case though... I thought I had all the answers for him (was my favourite station in fact). Some of the other stations were a bit iffy though but after clarification I thought (hope) I got some credible answers across.

I just felt the card one was a little silly. I said ok so lets find the heart cards first - and he was like whats a heart card.... I mean WTF?

The other one I think I got the answers too - i'm just not sure what the actual outcome should be.

I agree with you that they are more looking for the communication part of it - in fact Gordon Black said to us at the start this is just about communication skills.
Reply 782
Mods, if it is not allow then please don't shoot me!

I'll be vague - the card one was the worst for me. I think I pulled it together more at the end but didn't start well on that one. Think the others went ok - although I found the roleplay with the guy who had diagnosed himself off the internet hard.

Original post by Vox0

Don't remeber that one :s

And yeah, cards were hard. I did that one first and saw the guy give me the worst rating, which did kind of throw me a bit. I was more focused on getting it finished than being a good communicator/team player.

Really struggled to say what I wanted to say at some of the interview stations as well. :frown: Dundee was my favourite as well.
Original post by kingme
Don't remeber that one :s

And yeah, cards were hard. I did that one first and saw the guy give me the worst rating, which did kind of throw me a bit. I was more focused on getting it finished than being a good communicator/team player.

Really struggled to say what I wanted to say at some of the interview stations as well. :frown: Dundee was my favourite as well.

I'm sure you have done well! How did you find the shapes one? Did you finish it?
Reply 784
I just felt the card one was a little silly. I said ok so lets find the heart cards first - and he was like whats a heart card.... I mean WTF?

The other one I think I got the answers too - i'm just not sure what the actual outcome should be.

I agree with you that they are more looking for the communication part of it - in fact Gordon Black said to us at the start this is just about communication skills.

Yep in the actor stations it was mainly about communication not how fast you could get through I thought. About your first point... the actor was deliberately trying to act like a child or like a patient with a mental disability don't you think? Not that they were being deliberately difficult with you just to annoy you. Also in the prescription station my guy was deliberately acting foreign (poor command of english language).. you know what I mean?

PS Mods feel free to delete my posts if they are outwith the rules :tongue:
Original post by Vox0
Yep in the actor stations it was mainly about communication not how fast you could get through I thought. About your first point... the actor was deliberately trying to act like a child or like a patient with a mental disability don't you think? Not that they were being deliberately difficult with you just to annoy you. Also in the prescription station my guy was deliberately acting foreign (poor command of english language).. you know what I mean?

PS Mods feel free to delete my posts if they are outwith the rules :tongue:

Yeah the prescription station was hard too. I didn't realise straight away that you were allowed to use the pens and paper lol I think I got the point over though before the time ran out!
Reply 786
I'm sure you have done well! How did you find the shapes one? Did you finish it?

I think we must have had some stations different, I didn't have a shapes one either...

Did anyone else see the people marking them? That pissed me right off - especially when the first guy marked me as 'unacceptable' then proceeded to make small talk about the uni :angry:
Reply 787
Original post by kingme
I think we must have had some stations different, I didn't have a shapes one either...

Did anyone else see the people marking them? That pissed me right off - especially when the first guy marked me as 'unacceptable' then proceeded to make small talk about the uni :angry:

Aye they probably mixed them up to try and prevent knowledge being passed on to others. Yeh thats pretty bad about the marking thing. I quite liked it at Glasgow where a filled box was good but I was trying not to pay attention to the person writing stuff. Still at least you kept calm and carried on right? :tongue:
Original post by kingme

Hmm I didn't see anything like that. Although I probably got unacceptable for the card one lol.
Reply 789
Original post by Vox0
Aye they probably mixed them up to try and prevent knowledge being passed on to others. Yeh thats pretty bad about the marking thing. I quite liked it at Glasgow where a filled box was good but I was trying not to pay attention to the person writing stuff. Still at least you kept calm and carried on right? :tongue:

Well at Glasgow when you missed a box it made you think if might have something to add, whereas when you're doing the roleplay it's just a confirmation that you're not doing well.

But tbh I was poorly prepared.
Reply 790
Hmm I didn't see anything like that. Although I probably got unacceptable for the card one lol.

Happened to me twice - I made a point of looking directly at the sheet once I'd noticed it but they carried on regardless.
Reply 791
Original post by kingme

Same! :s-smilie: :confused: When was your interview? Perhaps there was complaints about some of the stations and they had to change them, either that or the different colours on each run have slightly different stations.
Reply 792
Original post by kingme
Well at Glasgow when you missed a box it made you think if might have something to add, whereas when you're doing the roleplay it's just a confirmation that you're not doing well.

But tbh I was poorly prepared.

More or less impossible to prepare for these roleplays. Thats the point I guess... don't beat yourself up about it. Chin up though... 1 bad station doesn't mean the end, that's the good thing about having 10 stations.
Reply 793
Original post by k19mb1_4
Same! :s-smilie: :confused: When was your interview? Perhaps there was complaints about some of the stations and they had to change them, either that or the different colours on each run have slightly different stations.

24th

Original post by Vox0
More or less impossible to prepare for these roleplays. Thats the point I guess... don't beat yourself up about it. Chin up though... 1 bad station doesn't mean the end, that's the good thing about having 10 stations.

Nah, if I went back in a year I reckon I would do much better.

Trust me, I had a few bad stations :tongue:
Tried to claim 1 was a prime number and 2 wasn't at that interview. I know it's more about how you communicate and everything but...what the hell was I thinking?! :tongue:
Original post by why-hello-there
Tried to claim 1 was a prime number and 2 wasn't at that interview. I know it's more about how you communicate and everything but...what the hell was I thinking?! :tongue:

I just assumed, somewhat stupidly, that everyone knew what a prime number was, and what a heart was lol.
I just assumed, somewhat stupidly, that everyone knew what a prime number was, and what a heart was lol.

haha, yeah, it was a weird station :tongue:

I had to tell the guy that the difference between the men and women cards were that the men had moustaches :cool:

One conversation I never thought I'd have in my life...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 797
Thanks for talking about them. Up until this point I thought it was just me who struggled at some of them! I think they were meant to be deliberately challenging but I didn't notice any rating or scoring scheme but now it makes more sense! I really loved Dundee! :smile:
Reply 798
I just felt the card one was a little silly. I said ok so lets find the heart cards first - and he was like whats a heart card.... I mean WTF?The other one I think I got the answers too - i'm just not sure what the actual outcome should be.

Haha, well it did say in the description that you were playing at a competition in a leaning disability centre!
Original post by AndrewD
Haha, well it did say in the description that you were playing at a competition in a leaning disability centre!

Did it :s-smilie: I am absolutely certain mine didn't say that..... It said that you were to split the cards into 4 spaces and delegate some of the work to your helper.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending