The Student Room Group

AQA Level 2 Certificate in Further Mathematics?

I began my maths GCSE a year early (in year 9) and sat my last exam in June this year. So, in year 11 we are doing a new qualification, a Level 2 Certificate in Further Mathematics, with AQA. I was wondering if anyone else is doing this, and what their thoughts on it are. I am looking forward to it is as I enjoy maths and like to be challenged in it :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cupcake19
I began my maths GCSE a year early (in year 9) and sat my last exam in June this year. So, in year 11 we are doing a new qualification, a Level 2 Certificate in Further Mathematics, with AQA. I was wondering if anyone else is doing this, and what their thoughts on it are. I am looking forward to it is as I enjoy maths and like to be challenged in it :smile:

It's a nice qualification. I don't approve of the A* with distinction grade though, I think this is laughable and will contribute to grade inflation.
Reply 2

Original post by Mr M
It's a nice qualification. I don't approve of the A* with distinction grade though, I think this is laughable and will contribute to grade inflation.

Yeah I think you have a point, although for me as I am achieving a* grades I think it will give me something new to aim and make me push myself more
Hi
I am in year 11 doing this course....
are there any past papers I can find/get...as most of them seem to be locked-ie only teachers can go onto them...
Original post by thetejmaster
Hi
I am in year 11 doing this course....
are there any past papers I can find/get...as most of them seem to be locked-ie only teachers can go onto them...

I don't think they have past papers, since this was never done in the past :tongue:

There are 2 specimen papers, however - with mark schemes - here:

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/igcse/pdf/AQA-8360-W-SPQ.PDF
there are 3 "sets" of past specimen papers that are on the aqa teachers website along with the two past papers on the aqa students webiste..but i cant get to them as it is locked and u need a teachers username/password...so...i was wondering whether anyone could get those.
Original post by thetejmaster
there are 3 "sets" of past specimen papers that are on the aqa teachers website along with the two past papers on the aqa students webiste..but i cant get to them as it is locked and u need a teachers username/password...so...i was wondering whether anyone could get those.

Feel kinda sorry for this guy since he's getting attacked at the moment - but he seems to have a teacher's login. Maybe ask him after results day and everything has died down? :tongue:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=352503

EDIT: oh, Q15 on the specimen paper 1 (weird circle bisect thing) took me ages. :tongue: Circle stuff seems to be the main thing forgotten after GCSE...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Xero Xenith
Feel kinda sorry for this guy since he's getting attacked at the moment - but he seems to have a teacher's login. Maybe ask him after results day and everything has died down? :tongue:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=352503

EDIT: oh, Q15 on the specimen paper 1 (weird circle bisect thing) took me ages. :tongue: Circle stuff seems to be the main thing forgotten after GCSE...

thanks for that.....do you know anyone else with an e-aqa password or any way 2 get on to it?...
oh and q15=v tough...couldnt do it myself...
Reply 8
I'm doing this... qualification or whatever you call it... sat my GCSE Maths at the end of Y8 and got A* with 98% in both papers and now there's this A^ grade for further maths.

I've started trying the specimen papers. Just done paper 1 so far and got somewhere between 93 and 100% in that - I'm not sure if I've got 5 marks because the idea is right but I don't have the exact "wording" as in the mark scheme - the same ideas etc. but I don't want to give myself the benefit of the doubt just in case. I'll get my teacher to check later. Paper 2 looks harder because it's got stuff I haven't done yet in it but I haven't finished the spec yet, so hopefully I'll be alright by the summer.

Does anyone else think the grade boundaries should be higher? For the June 2012 AQA GCSE Further Maths papers you only needed about 83% for A* with distinction. For Edexcel GCSE Maths (linear June 2012) you needed 82% for A*. If A^ is just going to be another name for A* what's the point in renaming the grades?
Original post by Lucky260
Does anyone else think the grade boundaries should be higher? For the June 2012 AQA GCSE Further Maths papers you only needed about 83% for A* with distinction. For Edexcel GCSE Maths (linear June 2012) you needed 82% for A*. If A^ is just going to be another name for A* what's the point in renaming the grades?

There is no point. It's a gimmick.
Reply 10
Original post by Mr M
There is no point. It's a gimmick.

It does make grades sound nicer though. ("What did you get?" - "A* with DISTINCTION!") And grade C looks very, very easy to get... about 18% overall if I recall correctly. If A^ required something like 95% (which I thought it'd be when I first found out about it... haha...) rather than what used to be required for A* then I think it'd be brilliant - a good challenge.
Reply 11
Hey! I'm also doing this course and was wondering if there was a revision guide anyone thought was suitable for it? Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 12
The grade boundaries are lower because it isn't just normal gcse maths, it's further maths. Differentiation etc isnt in normal gcse maths you usually only first learn it for core 1 in year 12
Reply 13
Original post by cupcake19
The grade boundaries are lower because it isn't just normal gcse maths, it's further maths. Differentiation etc isnt in normal gcse maths you usually only first learn it for core 1 in year 12

Does anyone have the specification for the gcse further maths level 2 (8360/1)?
Original post by Hassan_786
Does anyone have the specification for the gcse further maths level 2 (8360/1)?

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-8360-W-SP.PDF

Took me 5 seconds to find in Google.
Is everyone prepared for this exam?

My school decided to make only one class of year 11s do the normal GCSE as well as this certificate at the same time, just finished normal maths and haven't done any revision for this yet, oops
Reply 16
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
Is everyone prepared for this exam?

My school decided to make only one class of year 11s do the normal GCSE as well as this certificate at the same time, just finished normal maths and haven't done any revision for this yet, oops

Same situation in my school, I'm prepared for it because I sat FSMQ AddMaths which I taught myself because the school didn't announce this thing until about 3 weeks before the end of term! The rest of my class are struggling though, there's not much to learn but we all have other things to revise at the same time.
Original post by Cluck
Same situation in my school, I'm prepared for it because I sat FSMQ AddMaths which I taught myself because the school didn't announce this thing until about 3 weeks before the end of term! The rest of my class are struggling though, there's not much to learn but we all have other things to revise at the same time.

Oh wow good luck with it all

It's a joke, I don't see why the teachers expect us to do well but then don't teach us the stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh
Reply 19
I've literally just done the non calc for further maths, does anyone know roughly what I need for a B out of 175?? It did not go all that well unfortunately, hoping I can make it up in the calcu!! :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending