The Student Room Group

You never forget your first love, do you?

I'm asking this question as I tend to lurk around TSR too often without contributing very much. I don't have much to input most of the time. This post is partly me thinking-out-loud, and partly me looking for some advice. You don't need to read it though.

So, to all that have ever felt heart-breaking love I ask... do you ever truly get over it?

My first and only relationship (to date) began around 4 years ago when I was 18. It lasted roughly 2 years. I've had a lot of time to learn and grow, though I'm not sure I've yet healed. Starting to doubt I'll ever fully heal. There seems to be a deep scar within me. Not mere emotional pain, but a permanent emotional pain, or fracture in my personality. Does this exist and persist in all who've ever been 'heartbroken'?

The experience of love and heartbreak fundamentally changed me. I'd spent most of my life feeling inferior, unloved and hopelessly alone. The result of my personality traits perhaps. Definitely the bullying my traits seemed to attract. Picking on the quiet kid that doesn't fight back was a quick way to bolster classroom reputation. So, unfortunately, like many other victims of bullying, I was left with a deep feeling of inferiority in life. So when this girl appeared and not only accepted me, but came to love me, it was an amazing experience. A doomed experience. They say love blinds. Well it did, for a while. Then I began to see the ugly shadows lurking around me. Within me. The many years of being victimised had created a darker side to my personality; a jealous, paranoid, envious, vengeful and angry person with no self-esteem. At the time I didn't know these things existed within me; I was just me. When they began to creep up from my unconscious, however, it created a rift in the relationship; ultimately destroying it. I would regularly think she was cheating. I'd tell her that I wasn't worthy of her. That I didn't deserve her. I'd act possessive, afraid of losing her. I became aware of all the attention she unwittingly drew to herself. I grew jealous.

In the end, she did cheat. She found love elsewhere. I don't blame her - I pushed her away. I tried to push her away. I consider cheating to be the symptom of a relationship gone wrong. She's still with him now.

Even now I feel a stab of envy when I think of her with him, happily living together. Him with none of the problems I had. Him with the money I lacked. Him with the personality I lacked. Him with the appearance I lacked.

I felt entitled to her in many ways. I had suffered enough in life; she was my prize of sorts. The one I'd been waiting for all this time. I'd fought through all those days to reach her when I did, and I was happy. She didn't just reject the mask I wore for society, but she rejected and shattered me to the very core. I had nowhere to run and hide. I think I caught a glimpse of something beneath that shattered core of mine, something distant and dormant; true peace and wellbeing.

I vowed that I'd become all I had the potential to be; to recreate myself, to become a better person. I didn't want to live in fear anymore. I was tired of hiding from the world. That newfound drive led to a huge inner search for purpose, identity and understanding. The process of rebuilding had well and truly begun... I still catch glimpses of that stillness within, from time to time. In quiet, reflective moments. Like now.

Am I a more complete person now? I'm not sure we ever reach 'completion' - but we take the journey toward it nonetheless. Oh how we struggle. I like to think I'm a little bit wiser at least, about the world. More confident in myself. Where love was a blinding white light before, now it's an entire spectrum of colour. I see more now, and it's truly beautiful. I want to fully explore this spectrum - but something is holding me back.

Even though I'm predominantly a happy and optimistic person now (whereas I was mostly negative and pessimistic back then), I continue to break down from time to time. Majorly. Self-doubt, self-loathing and fear fill me. Fear that this is how I'm going to remain; a somewhat happy, yet deeply flawed, person. One who will never be quite right.

I keep turning inward, away from people. I don't let them get too close. I put up a veil of humour behind which I hide. It carries me through most social situations. Whenever I become aware of the slightest hint that something could go further, I but some barrier up between myself and the world so as to make sure it can't go on. Then I scold myself for not being who I really am around people (and I think I know who I really am, I've felt it); I hide in a shell, just like old times. The casual observer, watching the world through his looking glass, wishing nothing more than to be a part of it like everybody else.

The whole process of love and relationships - or, what I've come to understand of them - seem to have been lit before me, and, whereas before I was in the dark, unaware of what lay ahead, now I see all around. Now I consciously take a path around experiences that beforehand I would have stumbled into. How many opportunities am I missing due to this avoidance? Afterall, it was pure chance I happened across this girl in the first place.

I thought I'd gone deep down to the core of my situation. I have learned a lot. I have. I just don't see how I can go any further into myself to find more answers; to learn and grow and get over her. To love again, which I seem to want. Maybe that's the problem? Maybe I should just stop wanting love; but that sounds like a very poor way of living life...

Is this just the curse that befalls all those who eat of the fruit of love?

(That's all. I should just create a blog, I know. I do this rarely though. I don't care if nobody reads this; it was enough for me to let it out as I have. But feel free to leave some advice, preferably from personal experience...)
Reply 1
We don't easily forget the first, nor the one that got away. :smile: Despite the past, its good to constantly strive forward into being the person you want; and in some ways it's great those willing to get somewhere, tends to.
Original post by Dreamseeker
I'm asking this question as I tend to lurk around TSR too often without contributing very much. I don't have much to input most of the time. This post is partly me thinking-out-loud, and partly me looking for some advice. You don't need to read it though.

So, to all that have ever felt heart-breaking love I ask... do you ever truly get over it?

My first and only relationship (to date) began around 4 years ago when I was 18. It lasted roughly 2 years. I've had a lot of time to learn and grow, though I'm not sure I've yet healed. Starting to doubt I'll ever fully heal. There seems to be a deep scar within me. Not mere emotional pain, but a permanent emotional pain, or fracture in my personality. Does this exist and persist in all who've ever been 'heartbroken'?

The experience of love and heartbreak fundamentally changed me. I'd spent most of my life feeling inferior, unloved and hopelessly alone. The result of my personality traits perhaps. Definitely the bullying my traits seemed to attract. Picking on the quiet kid that doesn't fight back was a quick way to bolster classroom reputation. So, unfortunately, like many other victims of bullying, I was left with a deep feeling of inferiority in life. So when this girl appeared and not only accepted me, but came to love me, it was an amazing experience. A doomed experience. They say love blinds. Well it did, for a while. Then I began to see the ugly shadows lurking around me. Within me. The many years of being victimised had created a darker side to my personality; a jealous, paranoid, envious, vengeful and angry person with no self-esteem. At the time I didn't know these things existed within me; I was just me. When they began to creep up from my unconscious, however, it created a rift in the relationship; ultimately destroying it. I would regularly think she was cheating. I'd tell her that I wasn't worthy of her. That I didn't deserve her. I'd act possessive, afraid of losing her. I became aware of all the attention she unwittingly drew to herself. I grew jealous.

In the end, she did cheat. She found love elsewhere. I don't blame her - I pushed her away. I tried to push her away. I consider cheating to be the symptom of a relationship gone wrong. She's still with him now.

Even now I feel a stab of envy when I think of her with him, happily living together. Him with none of the problems I had. Him with the money I lacked. Him with the personality I lacked. Him with the appearance I lacked.

I felt entitled to her in many ways. I had suffered enough in life; she was my prize of sorts. The one I'd been waiting for all this time. I'd fought through all those days to reach her when I did, and I was happy. She didn't just reject the mask I wore for society, but she rejected and shattered me to the very core. I had nowhere to run and hide. I think I caught a glimpse of something beneath that shattered core of mine, something distant and dormant; true peace and wellbeing.

I vowed that I'd become all I had the potential to be; to recreate myself, to become a better person. I didn't want to live in fear anymore. I was tired of hiding from the world. That newfound drive led to a huge inner search for purpose, identity and understanding. The process of rebuilding had well and truly begun... I still catch glimpses of that stillness within, from time to time. In quiet, reflective moments. Like now.

Am I a more complete person now? I'm not sure we ever reach 'completion' - but we take the journey toward it nonetheless. Oh how we struggle. I like to think I'm a little bit wiser at least, about the world. More confident in myself. Where love was a blinding white light before, now it's an entire spectrum of colour. I see more now, and it's truly beautiful. I want to fully explore this spectrum - but something is holding me back.

Even though I'm predominantly a happy and optimistic person now (whereas I was mostly negative and pessimistic back then), I continue to break down from time to time. Majorly. Self-doubt, self-loathing and fear fill me. Fear that this is how I'm going to remain; a somewhat happy, yet deeply flawed, person. One who will never be quite right.

I keep turning inward, away from people. I don't let them get too close. I put up a veil of humour behind which I hide. It carries me through most social situations. Whenever I become aware of the slightest hint that something could go further, I but some barrier up between myself and the world so as to make sure it can't go on. Then I scold myself for not being who I really am around people (and I think I know who I really am, I've felt it); I hide in a shell, just like old times. The casual observer, watching the world through his looking glass, wishing nothing more than to be a part of it like everybody else.

The whole process of love and relationships - or, what I've come to understand of them - seem to have been lit before me, and, whereas before I was in the dark, unaware of what lay ahead, now I see all around. Now I consciously take a path around experiences that beforehand I would have stumbled into. How many opportunities am I missing due to this avoidance? Afterall, it was pure chance I happened across this girl in the first place.

I thought I'd gone deep down to the core of my situation. I have learned a lot. I have. I just don't see how I can go any further into myself to find more answers; to learn and grow and get over her. To love again, which I seem to want. Maybe that's the problem? Maybe I should just stop wanting love; but that sounds like a very poor way of living life...

(That's all. I should just create a blog, I know. I do this rarely though. I don't care if nobody reads this; it was enough for me to let it out as I have. But feel free to leave some advice, preferably from personal experience...)

The only thing I can say is it is so easy to think it is the end of the world. My first boyfriend was the love of my life. Like you he was mine for two years, the only thing in the world I felt like I didn't have to share with anyone. He didn't cheat but may as well have because 2 weeks after leaving me he started a new relationship with a girl. He is still with her 5 years later. I'm not going to say it was easy. I was pretty much in love with him a further 2 years after we split up, despite me going out with someone else for a year of that, even though I didn't speak to him. I then started a new relationship which lasted 2 years (which takes me up to about 6 months ago) and even though I was deeply in love with this man I still had feelings for THE ONE. The first love. However. It only took a short break between me and my ex boyfriend (strangely my first boyfriend was on a break from his long term girlfriend- they are back together now) that we met on a night out and kissed. Since then and I can honestly say this, I have not been interested in speaking to him ever again. My younger self got closure on the heartbreak I had felt for so many years! Sometimes it purely is wanting something you can't have. I know this isn't viable for everybody because at the end of the day you might not have that chance with you ex, to experience what I did 4 years on from our split in 2006. The mentality of overcoming someones power of you is so hard, and there are many ways about it, and I relate this same experience to the boyfriend I split with 6 months ago. I only want what I cant have. I just hope this feeling doesn't last as long as it did with my first love.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
The only thing I can say is it is so easy to think it is the end of the world. My first boyfriend was the love of my life. Like you he was mine for two years, the only thing in the world I felt like I didn't have to share with anyone. He didn't cheat but may as well have because 2 weeks after leaving me he started a new relationship with a girl. He is still with her 5 years later. I'm not going to say it was easy. I was pretty much in love with him a further 2 years after we split up, despite me going out with someone else for a year of that, even though I didn't speak to him. I then started a new relationship which lasted 2 years (which takes me up to about 6 months ago) and even though I was deeply in love with this man I still had feelings for THE ONE. The first love. However. It only took a short break between me and my ex boyfriend (strangely my first boyfriend was on a break from his long term girlfriend- they are back together now) that we met on a night out and kissed. Since then and I can honestly say this, I have not been interested in speaking to him ever again. My younger self got closure on the heartbreak I had felt for so many years! Sometimes it purely is wanting something you can't have. I know this isn't viable for everybody because at the end of the day you might not have that chance with you ex, to experience what I did 4 years on from our split in 2006. The mentality of overcoming someones power of you is so hard, and there are many ways about it, and I relate this same experience to the boyfriend I split with 6 months ago. I only want what I cant have. I just hope this feeling doesn't last as long as it did with my first love.

Interesting... I didn't anticipate closure. I suppose we're all like little children in the way we want what we can't have, only to then decide we don't want it, should we ever get it. Something about human 'nature' maybe? That's a question for a rainy day. I wonder if there's a way to induce closure without being in contact with the person you wish closure from? Time doesn't seem to be enough; there's something else I'm missing.

PS: How do you anonymise a post? That would have been useful here.
(edited 12 years ago)
I wonder if there's a way to induce closure without being in contact with the person you wish closure from?

For me, finding out that my ex was seeing someone else so soon after we split acted as closure for me. My attention turned from wanting her back to being frustrated that somehow I had lost her.

I do not think I will ever forget her. Nor do I want too - we had a happy 3 and a half years together and she had a massive impact on my life. But I do hope that soon I will 'be at peace' with myself and able to go about life without constantly wondering what she is doing, if she is happier with this new guy or if I could have done something different so that we did not split up...
Interesting... I didn't anticipate closure. I suppose we're all like little children in the way we want what we can't have, only to then decide we don't want it, should we ever get it. Something about human 'nature' maybe? That's a question for a rainy day. I wonder if there's a way to induce closure without being in contact with the person you wish closure from? Time doesn't seem to be enough; there's something else I'm missing.

PS: How do you anonymise a post? That would have been useful here.

Under the title is a check post for "make post anonymously"

I really wouldn't care about using anon if I were you because your user name isn't anything to do with you name! My user name is the username I use for loads of things (like twitter) as I made my TSR account in 2008 and it was only the other month someone found some posts and posted them on my facebook wall! Won't be making that mistake again! Ha!

I didn't anticipate closure either. However I don't know how to get closure without physical contact (or there abouts.) That's what I need to learn from current ex boyfriend. The first love one...I would literally have conversations in my head with him, and dream about him all the time for years. Everytime he sparked conversation with my I'd go dizzy and my heart would beat so hard....and I was with someone else who I also had feelings for. As soon as we kissed I wasn't interested one bit. I think you're right, time isn't a healer, and neither is getting somebody new because I never forgot about him really until I met my last ex. And even then I still wondered about him and got excited when he spoke to me. Until we kissed. I need to find out how to get over someone without the contact also. It's driving me mad!
Anon - it sounds like you still had contact with him after you split. Do you think it would have been better if you had cut all ties and tried to move on? (I understand this may not have been possible, but imagine it was...)
Original post by InnerTemple
Anon - it sounds like you still had contact with him after you split. Do you think it would have been better if you had cut all ties and tried to move on? (I understand this may not have been possible, but imagine it was...)

Quite the contrary. I think if you cut all contact, if there ever is a re-meet all the feelings would rush back to the surface. I would bombard him with texts for 6 months even when he had a girlfriend and he'd occasionally message me on facebook but because I felt so under his power it was always him who contacted me first so over the 4 years we probably spoke online about 5 times and I saw him in real life about 5 times where he'd call me over because he knew he still had that hold. He knew as soon as I kissed him I wasn't interested, infact I even went back the next week did it again and laughed in his face and shouted that he was obsessed with me infront of a crowd (he wasn't.. AT ALL but somehow it felt good to finally not feel this way about his after 5 years) since then we haven't spoke once and it was last September and I have not once felt the need to speak to him. I think ideally after a breakup contact should still happen because it lets both of you become used to the fact you're not together anymore. Where as immediate lack of contact builds up feelings for years (as it did with me.) I think were all childish deep down and want what we can't have...unfortunatly this isn't always solvable!
I actually disagree, you're definitely able to get over them and forget them. I don't think this 'theory' of never forgetting your 'first love' is true for everyone!

The reason you feel so strong and emotional about it is because you've never experienced anything like it and first experiences for anything always have a similar effect.
I do think a lot of people have bad experiences with their first relationship, but it does make you stronger and more independant as a person, eventually.

You should just look at it positively and be happy that you've learnt a lot which will help you out in the future. Almost everyone goes through it at some point! You won't always feel like this, especially when you meet someone else that you really like and get on well with (even if you really can't imagine it now), you'll be happy with the way things work out. :hugs:
Reply 9
there's no such thing like love in this world, everything is X or Y chromosomes :biggrin:
I don't think it is possible. Still to this day I think about him. It's approaching 4 years since we broke up and I should realistically not think about him as much as I do. I did everything I thought was necessary to get him out of my mind, I broke all contact with him (deleting his number/deleting him off facebook etc) The hardest part for me was that we met in my first year at university, so we lived together. Whenever I think back to that time now, I crave to be back there with him. After refusing to even acknowledge his existence for the past four years, I recently came across his profile on my friends status feed. He's had a baby with the girl he met after we broke up. I am happy for him because he always wanted a family but I can't deny there's a part of me that's absolutely devastated. I guess I always had this hope that we would get back together.
nope, i still remember her

man she was hot
Reply 12
My uncle said that 30 years on he still remmember his Girlfriends from when he was 17-18, so no you don't ever forget I guess.
Your post really resonates with me.
I have never experienced real heartbreak yet, but I am with my first love at the moment, have been for 10 months. Already I keep thinking what a huge impact he's made on my life, and that if I end up losing him, I'll most likely never get over it.
I too experienced bullying and low self-esteem, and he has changed all this, but I feel like the moment I lose him I'll go back to being an empty shell of a person.
Reply 14
I don't think you will ever forget someone who made such an impact in your life. I mean, when you were with them you grew as a person, and you inevitably changed. It's impossible to be the same person you were when you began the relationship, because so much happened, and at the end your a different person. For a while it hurts, you feel so angry that you thought that this could be the person you're meant to be with, and that they would let you down. When i was in a relationship recently, we'd been through some pretty hard times, and inevitably put ourselves in a bubble which shut out the rest of the world, friends even family a little. I thought i'd be safe there, but i wasn't because it's impossible to live when you're trapped, no matter how much you love them.
Sometimes your first love might come back, but they'll have changed, they won't be the same. If you want a relationship with the same person, don't get back into the relationship because you have both changed.
There will come a day when you realise you havent thought about that person for a while...and you may get closure from that. But forgetting someone who made you who you are would be plain silly right! No matter how much they hurt you, you have to learn from it, get stronger, even put on a front if that helps.
You will be able to love again it time :smile:
Reply 15
Hmmm my first love.

She had a smoking hot body and the cutest smile.

She's been on TV you might know her, her names is... ermm... uuhhh....
Reply 16

The best thing to do is to take this experience of being with her and move on. You now know what you can be like in relationships: possessive, jealous, etc. and you need to make sure you're not like this in future. Try and get counselling if you need, or find someone trustworthy you can talk to. Or even build up the resolve in yourself.

Furthermore, you should not blame yourself for her cheating. Blame in these situations is useless, and she should have been a person with more integrity to not cheat; and instead end it with you if she didn't want you any more. It seems you've put her on a pedestal, which is not healthy. You are a person who deserves love and respect, and in turn you need to work on your insecurities and foibles.
Original post by Anonymous

Totally Agree! x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending