The Student Room Group

Just turned 18 - question about ID

Hi, i just turned 18 a few days ago and i'm curious if there is any type of cheap ID i could get that is accepted by shops etc and would allow me to trade in games for cash etc as i don't really want to be carrying my passport everywhere.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
http://www.citizencard.com/

These cost £15 and should be accepted everywhere.
Reply 2
Original post by pixie<3

Is there anything for international students living in the UK on a visa though? :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Original post by pixie<3

Should, but won't. A lot of pubs and clubs don't accept them. But I'd have thought pretty much all shops will accept them, so it might be ok for the OP's purposes. Most people get a provisional driving licence for ID purposes, even if they have no intention of learning to drive any time soon.
My experience with PASS cards is that shops will accept them fine, pubs will be really hit and miss with them, and clubs will flat out reject them. If you're going to want to use it on a night out, fork up the £50 for a provisional.
Reply 5
I have a citizencard (just got it) and if that's true, how crap is that?

Anyway, best thing to do is get your provisional licence. Two in one.
Reply 6
Original post by Psyk
Should, but won't. A lot of pubs and clubs don't accept them. But I'd have thought pretty much all shops will accept them, so it might be ok for the OP's purposes. Most people get a provisional driving licence for ID purposes, even if they have no intention of learning to drive any time soon.

Clubs won't accept the main government endorsed proof of age document? That's pretty poor.

"If you have already obtained our card and are being refused entry then please visit www.pass-scheme.org.uk to obtain a PASS Card Refusal form, where the matter will be investigated."
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by syNK
Hi, i just turned 18 a few days ago and i'm curious if there is any type of cheap ID i could get that is accepted by shops etc and would allow me to trade in games for cash etc as i don't really want to be carrying my passport everywhere.

Thanks.

yes, your provisional driving licencee
Reply 8
Provisional Driving license; Not too expensive, accepted by everyone, and will come to use while learning to drive too.
Reply 9
Go for the provisional, or stick with the passport. I used my passport for 8 months and it was always perfectly safe - just depends how careful you are. I do use my provisional now though, but only because I got it to actually learn to drive.
Original post by pixie<3
Clubs won't accept the main government endorsed proof of age document? That's pretty poor.

"If you have already obtained our card and are being refused entry then please visit www.pass-scheme.org.uk to obtain a PASS Card Refusal form, where the matter will be investigated."

i think because its so easy to fake- there are loads of websites offering similar cards to anyone of any age
Reply 11
Original post by pixie<3

I'm pretty sure clubs are under no obligation to accept any particular form of id. So filling in that form is unlikely to do anything. About all they can do is ask the club why they didn't accept it, they can't make them accept it.
Original post by jelly1000
i think because its so easy to fake- there are loads of websites offering similar cards to anyone of any age

Ah ok. The government annoys me =/
Original post by Psyk
I'm pretty sure clubs are under no obligation to accept any particular form of id. So filling in that form is unlikely to do anything. About all they can do is ask the club why they didn't accept it, they can't make them accept it.

Yes I'm aware of that, hopefully filling it in might make them alter their website so it doesn't sound as though it's accepted everywhere though, as it sounds like this is a widespread problem. I guess a provisional is the OP's best bet then.
Reply 14
Problem is, people, is as he's a foreign student he's probably not eligible for a UK Driving License, so the provisional route is worthless to him.

Certainly, I can't find anything on the web about applying for one without some form of proof that you're a UK citizen [unless he's already got a driving license from his own country].
Original post by asparkyn
Is there anything for international students living in the UK on a visa though? :s-smilie:

In that case a provisional/ or full driving license or passport from your own country should be accepted
passport from your own country should be accepted, I know we're allowed to accept them.

As for the many types of ID like PASS cards, I work in a supermarket and because of issues with possible fakes, we're told only to accept passports and driving licences(provisional or full), despite the fact other forms of ID are government accredited.
Reply 17
Original post by jelly1000
In that case a provisional/ or full driving license or passport from your own country should be accepted

Thanks a lot! What about an NUS Student Card though? I don't quite fancy the idea of bringing my passport around ... I'd get too paranoid!
Reply 18
Thanks a lot! What about an NUS Student Card though? I don't quite fancy the idea of bringing my passport around ... I'd get too paranoid!

Most clubs won't accept NUS cards.

Nah sadly it has to be either a provisional or a full driving licence or a passport. They aren't likely to accept anything else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending