The Student Room Group

Just turned 18 - question about ID

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jelly1000

They aren't likely to accept anything else.

My friend's military identification is also recognised by most places, although that's hardly something you can apply for at the post office XD
Original post by pixie<3
http://www.citizencard.com/

These cost £15 and should be accepted everywhere.

They should be, but they're not in practice. I can't get a driving license so I originally got one of these; what a piece of ****, I should have just saved my money. The number of people who just didn't know what they were.

Ended up getting a passport even though I never go abroad just so I'd have a recognised form of ID.
In that case a provisional/ or full driving license or passport from your own country should be accepted

I wouldn't recommend a driving license from his home country, who's actually going to be able to not only recognise, but also check if it's real?

Passport's probably the only way to go if OP can't get a UK provisional license.
Original post by vandub
I wouldn't recommend a driving license from his home country, who's actually going to be able to not only recognise, but also check if it's real?

Passport's probably the only way to go if OP can't get a UK provisional license.

I know of an American exchange student who used her US driving license as ID whilst studying at Cardiff this year no problem.
I know of an American exchange student who used her US driving license as ID whilst studying at Cardiff this year no problem.

Oh, right. I'd reject any for the reasons I mentioned, and my coworkers agree. Then again, I work in an off license in a small town with quite a small number of foriegners, not a university city where they might be trained to recognise different IDs.
Reply 25
Original post by vandub

Probably depends on the country. An EU driving license would probably be fine. Ones from the US, Canada, Australia, places like that would probably be fine too.
Reply 26
I got a provisional driving license just to use for ID. Don't have any intention on learning to drive.

Had some trouble getting into clubs with the Citizen card. I look different in every card I have. Someplaces I have trouble using my provisional because they don't believe its me...I **** you not!
How good are you at keeping possessions- ever lost a wallet/phone for instance? Lost, not had stolen. I've carried my passport on every night out for 5 years and never once lost it or come close to it, despite sometimes being incredibly drunk. It depends how good you are with keeping bags on you at all times/or keeping stuff in general though. If you've lost stuff in the past and you're afraif then go for the provisional as losing a passport is a bitch- aside from cost of replacement you have to explain youself on the form etc.
Original post by syNK
Hi, i just turned 18 a few days ago and i'm curious if there is any type of cheap ID i could get that is accepted by shops etc and would allow me to trade in games for cash etc as i don't really want to be carrying my passport everywhere.

Thanks.

Hey i am 18 in 4 days i was hope in to get some ID because i lost my passports and it is expired and i don't have a provisional license and to use for me to go out into bars/clubs
If any ones got any ideas i would be really grateful

Write back
A.S.A.P
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by coolchazzy01
Hey i am 18 in 4 days i was hope in to get some ID because i lost my passports and it is expired and i don't have a provisional license and to use for me to go out into bars/clubs
If any ones got any ideas i would be really grateful

Write back
A.S.A.P

Majority of places do not accept anything other that Driving License (full or provisional) or in-date passport. Clubs in particular follow this rule as Citizenship cards and Student ID's are so easy to fake.
Yea, I agree with most of the above. Dunno if it varies city to city but in Glasgow I've never been in a club where they accept anything but Driving License/provisional and passport. And sometimes they ask for back up ie bank card/student card.

I'd say just get a provisionak from your home, I got one for id (which now my friend has so it kinda defeated the point) so that I didn't have to take my passport out.

Ach well.
Reply 31
I have never had a problem with my citizen ID card, Its been accepted at all the clubs I've been to, small businesses and large businesses have also accepted it fine as well when I've bought alcohol.
Reply 32
Citizen ID card is the way to go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending