The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Accounting and Finance/WBS applicants and questions 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by ...mo...
Exactly my point. I think the main things that matter are: (in this order)

Grades
PS
Reference

btw how are they for you?

Well I have the grades. No as retakes.:cool:

Ps isn't looking to good. There is no real substance. I have kinda just picked areas like risk management ect rather than accounting and finance to talk about. But some paragraphs are awesome, so it's a mixed bad.:confused: it's a work in progress.

Reference should be good. I might even write it myself:colone:....joke
I have a good relationship with my teachers so it will be fine.
(edited 12 years ago)
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 81
Original post by Confused101
Yeah my school said they'll sort everything out (references, predicted grades, UCAS applications and arranging exams), but they won't teach me.

Without college, all i would have done this year is go gym, work and do some work experience.
So i think college is worth it considering i get £30 ema anyway and i won't have to pay for any A2 exams, and only 2 AS's.

Both colleges were going to predict me A*AA but i think my new college will give me a good reference unless they contact the old one :eek:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by Alpha5
Oh sorry it's not Frizzed, it's Drizzzy for some reason my spellcheck on my tablet done something crazy. he said his ps was great but as levels were abc I think. something like that anyway.

He got in to Warwick Business School for A&F with ABC!!! Where there any circumstances why he got accepted. Any problems during A Levels? I still don't know who Drizzzy is. Is he on TSR?
Reply 83
He got in to Warwick Business School for A&F with ABC!!! Where there any circumstances why he got accepted. Any problems during A Levels? I still don't know who Drizzzy is. Is he on TSR?

Yes he is. I'm sure he may have posted something on this thread. By the way I think he ABC at as level.

How important is it you mention your career aspirations.?
Reply 84
when you said ABC I thought it was his A Level result, so his predicted grade may have been higher, such as A*AB? I am gessing he got much higher at A2 and how come he only did 3?

When you say mention career apsirations do you mean in your PS. If yes then not that much. Uni's know that with this degree you can go in to various jobs and not having decided allready shows you are taking time to think about it properly and not rushing your decision.
Reply 85
Original post by uxa595
I don't think that references count too much unless they are REALLY bad.
I pretty much had 60% attendance last time, i never did homework and all my teachers called me lazy yet i managed to get an offer to AAB unis with a ABB prediction.

Thankfully, i'm at a new college and i intend to be a "good boy" :tongue:

LOL, good boy :tongue:

Which uni's gave you offers as your firm/insurance. I am gessing that you met the condition.

You said that you applied for AAB uni's so how come your at a college?
Reply 86
Original post by Confused101
Yeah I should be fine too.
Although why does it HAVE to be in by November/December? The deadline isn't until January and they still send out offers way past that.

Also what AS are you taking up? Hmm are there any benefits to going to a new college aside from actually being taught?

Planning on self-teaching myself Economics A2 and I don't like the idea of going to a new college because of how everyone knows each other except me =/
I mean I'm quite social, but that first week or so of awkwardness will be killer....and I'll be coming from a school that everybody hates lol!

I'm relatively happy with self-teaching, and I'll get a private tutor too, but does predicted grades have more weight when it's coming from a college that's actually teaching you? My head of year said something about it not having much weight because they won't be teaching me, but all the admissions tutors I've called up and emailed in various unis didn't mention anything about that?Not sure =/

I say go to college. You can say that you have been different places and you might make friends/enjoy yourself. If not then leave and self teach. That way you can learn at you own pace and not of the slower pace of the teacher.

EDIT: I am gonna do A2 eco as well so am able to help. Got A at AS so understand the work. Are you doing it with AQA like I am.
If yes then Unit 3 is hard as I have found out (monoloply and oligopoly/ distributing income and wealth, i think) Unit 4 is very simialr to Unit 2 (inflation, unemploymen,growth,BoP) includes looking at things internationally which includes globalisation.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 87
Tbh, i wouldn't have gone college if it weren't for OCR Economics F585.
It's case study based which i feel has to be taught by a teacher.

It's sort of like that English Anthology thing we all did at GCSE but the "poems" change every year.

Last year was China, this year it was the PIIGS economies and next year who knows what it'll be.

I had offers for Manchester, Nottingham and Birmingham but i only got BBC so couldn't get in. If i do get into Warwick this year, it will all be worth it.
Reply 88
WBS says they want to see a breadth of A-level.so is doing maths,economic, biology and chemistry showing enough breadth. As they say they want to see a humanities or social science. Is it right to say that economics is a social science.

LSE want the ps to be 75% academic and subject related the rest hobbies and extra curricular. But WBS want to see a little more extra curricular, so what should I do?
Original post by Alpha5
WBS says they want to see a breadth of A-level.so is doing maths,economic, biology and chemistry showing enough breadth. As they say they want to see a humanities or social science. Is it right to say that economics is a social science.

LSE want the ps to be 75% academic and subject related the rest hobbies and extra curricular. But WBS want to see a little more extra curricular, so what should I do?

Yup Economics is a social science and those subjects are fine (they're the same as what I'm doing in fact).

Well decide where you want to go to the most and cater more to that.
I assume its LSE, so I'd say go for LSE's preference, but make sure your extra-curricular section is stellar, to the point and has great substance - this will not only impress Warwick, but will had extra weight against other LSE applicants who may not have as good a EC section as you do.

By this I mean cut the unnecessary waffle, and get to the point of HOW doing it helped you, and WHY it would be useful to your degree and future. If necessary, cut out pointless or weak ECs, or ones that won't impress as much (e.g. i play tennis from time to time).

Although at the end of the day they're just preferences, and many applicants get offers from both without catering to the university's personal statement desires. As long as the overall statement is great and you have high grades, you stand a good chance of getting an offer.
Reply 90
Hi, just a question on my friends behalf.
Which would WBS like the most.....
A*A*A* or A*AAA for predictions in Math, Economics, Physics and ICT.
He got AAAB at AS by the way.
Reply 91
Original post by Alpha5

I would imagine A*A*A* and it would be best in Maths, Econ and Physics.
Reply 92
Original post by Alpha5

I am in a simialr position. I did maths,accounts,eco and ICT. I got 4 A's and decided to drop ICT (even though I got over 85%) I know that uni's will look at 3. For me I rather get A*AA rather than AAAA. That's my opinion and depends on uni/your choice (in this case your friends choice :biggrin:)
Reply 93
Original post by uxa595
I would imagine A*A*A* and it would be best in Maths, Econ and Physics.

I am in a simialr position. I did maths,accounts,eco and ICT. I got 4 A's and decided to drop ICT (even though I got over 85%) I know that uni's will look at 3. For me I rather get A*AA rather than AAAA. That's my opinion and depends on uni/your choice (in this case your friends choice :biggrin:)

Thanks guys.
I told my mate and he said after ringing WBS they said the same thing. They would rather have 3 solid a level.

Im doing my ps, which is going horribly wrong. One min its not academic enough, then i read loads of books ect and now its not got enough EC. I have done one parapgraph (7 lines) for EC, would you say this is enough.
Original post by Competencies
When you say EC, do you mean things like sport?

If so, I'd of thought 7 lines would be more than enough, I doubt I will even mention sports, DofE etc.

What would be better is mentioning all your points in a more succinct way (possibly - save a separate draft of your current one if you wish). When apply to IBs with 90 word limits to answer 'what skills do you bring' it's better to give a condensed version rather than drop two points.
Reply 95
Original post by Alpha5
Thanks guys.
I told my mate and he said after ringing WBS they said the same thing. They would rather have 3 solid a level.

Im doing my ps, which is going horribly wrong. One min its not academic enough, then i read loads of books ect and now its not got enough EC. I have done one parapgraph (7 lines) for EC, would you say this is enough.

Sounds like a lot. PM me with your PS if you want and I can check it for you.
Reply 96
Can someone recommend me any A&F books to read? possibly more finance based ones.

The warwick reading list is crap and i can't find any good ones.
Reply 97
Original post by Drizzzy
Don't think Oxford care about P.S. that much, more predictions/grades, their tests and interview.

If your borderline Warwick Economics they sometimes offer offers for A&F instead. Think whether you have done Further Maths or not and what grade you got in it should determine whether you go for A&F or Economics.

About A&F appearing in Extra I think that was tactical, this year was going to see lots of top Economics applicants rejected. So they took e.g. someone with A*A*A* predictions for their A&F course who may not of got rejected on a normal day. They take 200 people in so that's a lot of people in the first place. I could be wrong though.

For A&F at Warwick, if you're taking further maths, you need another two. I do Maths, Further maths, and Economics, but I'd need another if I wanted to apply.
I'm going for MMORSE at Warwick, hopefully in to FO too.

EDIT: My bad, it's Economics that that's the rule for, for A&F, you're at a disadvantage with M, FM and just one other.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 98
Original post by Competencies
How did you manage a personal statement for the 5 course you chose?

Some of those must be quite different (like economics with accounting and statistics with finance).

Also, do you think further maths is useful for an A+F application, even if it's just AS?

Economics with accounting is my backup choice - I probably won't apply to it! My Personal Statement is mainly Maths/Economics, but I have bits of Statistics, and bits of Finance in there too, no idea how I managed it. I kinda related them to each other in a way that it'd be relevant for all the courses.
Further maths is definitely useful for any quantitative course, especially to A2. Just check with a University that they accept it as one of three A levels though, as some Universities do not (e.g. Warwick's Economics courses).
Reply 99
Original post by joshgoldman
Economics with accounting is my backup choice - I probably won't apply to it! My Personal Statement is mainly Maths/Economics, but I have bits of Statistics, and bits of Finance in there too, no idea how I managed it. I kinda related them to each other in a way that it'd be relevant for all the courses.
Further maths is definitely useful for any quantitative course, especially to A2. Just check with a University that they accept it as one of three A levels though, as some Universities do not (e.g. Warwick's Economics courses).

Any chance i could have a look at your PS you used to get into MORSE?
I have a few decent points but but i can't seem to make mine flow.

Also, anyone know good finance/accounting books? I don't mind if they are related to econ a bit.

Quick Reply

Latest