The Student Room Group

NQT Year after PGCE.

Hi

Does anyone know if there is a limited time period in which you have to complete your NQT year after finishing your PGCE?

I heard it was two years but then read section 2.55 of this which makes me think differently.

http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/s/statutory%20guidance%20on%20induction%20for%20newly%20qualified%20teachers%20in%20england.pdf

Many thanks.
TDA
there is no set time limit for starting or completing induction. If significant time has elapsed between gaining QTS and starting induction, or there is a significant gap between teaching posts during the induction period, NQTs can consider undertaking refresher training.

:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by gingerbreadman85
:smile:

Do you think taking time out after the PGCE and such would stand against you?
Reply 3
Original post by Hana_87
Do you think taking time out after the PGCE and such would stand against you?

Hey! Making plans for when you get back from your travels? Ha :smile:

It depends how much time you take out - a year or two, no-one's going to mind (plenty of people do this without wanting to, if they can't find a suitable job for example), however bear in mind that the longer you take out the more things are likely to change (technology in classrooms, national curriculum, policies, latest educational thinking, etc.) and so schools will be wary about taking someone on who has had years out without school experience.

Also, just to point out that although in England there is no time limit, there is a time limit in Wales (I believe it's 5 years but don't quote me on that) and there may be one in Scotland too, just for anyone planning to teach in those areas of the UK :smile:
I seem to remember someone else asking about a gap year to go travelling between PGCE and NQT, and the general consensus was that it's a really bad idea and that headteachers won't like it. As mentioned above, some people (me for example) don't get a job straight away so are kind of forced to, though many of them will do supply in that time. If you go for a job interview and they ask what you've been doing for a year and your response is "I went traveling" it might seem you're not as keen as someone who has come straight from PGCE or spent a year doing supply.

I dunno though.
I think if you've got a VERY good reason, then it's ok, otherwise it's best to get the NQT over and done with as soon as possible.

To be honest, the NQT is a big enough step up as is without taking a few years out. A bit like doing a demanding degree, best to do it soon after your A-levels rather than taking 5yrs out beforehand! Just the NQT is harder and will require you to call on your PGCE experience.

Remember, you have to apply for an NQT job just like any other, and thus you have to compete with other applicants. Unless you have compelling reasons for why you took a break you are going to loose out in that respect compared to others.
Reply 6
Remember, you have to apply for an NQT job just like any other, and thus you have to compete with other applicants. Unless you have compelling reasons for why you took a break you are going to loose out in that respect compared to others.

I think that if you show you HAVE had experience in this time in a classroom environment that will add to your experience it surely wont be such a problem?

Obviously if you're going to say 'i went travelling and got drunk for two years' then of course, it won't look good, but surely working and reaching abroad between that time can't be so bad?
Working and teaching abroad isn't the WORST thing to do between PGCE and NQT, but it could still put you at a disadvantage compared to others when you compete for jobs after.

Depends what you are teaching and the situation. You also don't mention the subject you teach, as i can (virtually) guarantee that if you are a maths or physics teacher you won't have a problem, whereas if you teach more popular subjects you will find it harder.

The other problem with being abroad is the added complexity of applying for jobs and attending interviews as pretty much everywhere will want to SEE you teach as part of the interview.
Reply 8
Working and teaching abroad isn't the WORST thing to do between PGCE and NQT, but it could still put you at a disadvantage compared to others when you compete for jobs after.

Depends what you are teaching and the situation. You also don't mention the subject you teach, as i can (virtually) guarantee that if you are a maths or physics teacher you won't have a problem, whereas if you teach more popular subjects you will find it harder.

The other problem with being abroad is the added complexity of applying for jobs and attending interviews as pretty much everywhere will want to SEE you teach as part of the interview.

What's the WORST thing you can do between them then? haha.

It's primary, so pretty popular. Surely if i speak to my mentor at uni and see what they say i'd get a better feel for the situation? Do you think many people travel after PGCE? I know it's more common to go straight into it but i honestly don't feel ready - once i get the NQT year done i know i'll want to get into a settled teaching position and that just isn't yet. They wouldn't let me defer my PGCE another year or i would have done that..

I'm in limbo really. I do understand that i will need to use the time travelling to teach though or i'll get nowhere when i'm home...
As far as i'm aware, most people get the NQT done straight away and then think about traveling. A colleague that i trained with has just done NQT+1 and is off skiing for a few seasons.

Primary schools also prefer you to visit before you apply (it is optional, but highly recommended) which will be hard if you're abroad.
Reply 10
As far as i'm aware, most people get the NQT done straight away and then think about traveling. A colleague that i trained with has just done NQT+1 and is off skiing for a few seasons.

Primary schools also prefer you to visit before you apply (it is optional, but highly recommended) which will be hard if you're abroad.

But i wouldn't be applying whilst i'm abroad as i'd be away for so long...
Reply 11
Hi,

I am in exactctly the same situation as you, I deferred my travelling as I couldn't defer my pgce and now i'm doing it, it seems expected to go straight into an NQT year. However, I know someone that went travelling for two years and is doing their NQT now and two headteachers have said that it would make no difference. I just wondered did you ask your uni about it? I'm a bit scared to ask mine but wouldn't want to get into a NQT year and then leave a nice job. eek. :smile: :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending