The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Magdalene College (Cambridge) Students and 2016 entry Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
chocolate? i'm in..!

i also like the sound of the sheila and her dog society...
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 181
where did you find this soc mwiko?is it listed on the cusu page?
Reply 182
yup, i had a quick browse through the list today..
sheila and her dog

i'd probably try most of the ones under 'quirky- different and unusual' actually..
Reply 183
I'm going to join the Winnie the Pooh soc for sure :smile:
Reply 184
I can't believe I just found this, this is so cool! I'm a second year natsci (bio) at Magdalene! Tariq?! How's it goin? I'm glad to see you're helping all the little 'uns who'll be coming in October :smile: Good luck to you all if you're doing exams atm, but my main advice is ENJOY YOUR SUMMER!!! Once you get here you won't have a chance to relax, so make the most of it!

And don't forget rowing as an obvious society to join - I've never done it (not TOO keen on the water...) but everyone who does it loves it!
xxxxx :ninja:
Reply 185
woooo an other older Magdalenite (probably with some experience concerning food,accomodation and other burning issues :wink: )!!
I'm glad you've found your way to our small 'n' sleepy thread...
Reply 186
liz_j
I can't believe I just found this, this is so cool! I'm a second year natsci (bio) at Magdalene!

Bio NatSci! Yay!
Any advice on modules to take/not to take?
Greetings.

bethy
Bio NatSci! Yay!
Any advice on modules to take/not to take?

Good point.

Which maths module did you do, and what was it like?
Reply 188
liz_j
Tariq?! How's it goin? I'm glad to see you're helping all the little 'uns who'll be coming in October :smile:
xxxxx :ninja:

lizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzy! how's my favourite bridgestreet amigo? (don't tell andy i said that!) And what are you doing on this site? get back to work! *cracks whip* I'm alright, health hasn't been great recently but am happy nonetheless and can't wait to see you all again in may week and may ball! :smile: have you had any of those exam things yet? they sound fun. i wish i had some to do :p: i really do! :p:

yea, i try my best to help these little 'uns, but to be honest i get a little overwhelmed with all their keeness and questions! its good that they are so keen though, keeness is what keeps magdalene ticking afterall...

PS: whats with the ninja icon?
Reply 189
Oh exams are rubbish!! Got a week and a half to go before they start... BUT STILL HAVE LECTURES!!! NatSci is a lot of work, but it can be fun :cool:

I did E&B, physiology, bio of cells and elementary maths. Elementary maths was amazing-it was just like doing maths at school! Once a week everyone sits around a big table and does example questions :smile: E&B was definitely my favourite option, cells definitely my worst.

What do you guys all think of the Magdalene JCR website by the way??

I can't wait for the mayball Tariq!! My exams finish on the 6th of June so have aaaaaaaaages before may week starts!
(And you really DONT wish you had exams, everyone is so stressed!)
xxxxx
Reply 190
Oh and I just thought the ninja was cute. haha!
Reply 191
liz_j
Elementary maths was amazing-it was just like doing maths at school! Once a week everyone sits around a big table and does example questions :smile:

I can't wait for the mayball Tariq!! My exams finish on the 6th of June so have aaaaaaaaages before may week starts!
(And you really DONT wish you had exams, everyone is so stressed!)
xxxxx

Elementary maths? that sounds cool! although I think if it was something like "elementary particle maths" it would be even cooler. I may have turned my back maths, but i'll always be a mathmo at heart :smile: well i'll always be me at heart i guess, it'll be a part of me!

I still haven't visited the new jcr website yet... despair... :p:

Unfortunately I can't make the may ball any more :frown:

Emma's birthday tomorrow, send her my love when you next see her :smile:

yea i bet everyone is really working hard, and making a right mess of MY library in the process... I will NOT haunt a messy library lizzie! (i am the magdalene college library ghost afterall)

xx
Reply 192
liz_j

i just had a wee look and it's quite nice.. although i think not having a username and stuff stops me from doing much.. i also made the mistake of clicking on 'important ballot info' and got myself all kinds of confused :s-smilie:
is there a simple explanation for how room ballots work? and what the whole 'keeping term' thing is? i wonder if wikipedia will help me :smile:
Reply 193
Mwiko, you're from Northern Ireland?! Me too!! From Ballyclare (You've prob never heard of it...)

In your first year you just get allocated a random room (some are really cool, a separate living room and bedroom, whereas some are really small). Accommodation in Magdalene is really varied-one building is 2 years old and has beautiful ensuite rooms, and some is reallly old... in my first year I lived above the Pickerel and it was a nightmare.

Keeping term just means you have to be here for all of "full term", which is basically every day you have lectures.

Hope all your A-levels are going well!
xxx
Reply 194
yup.. and i have heard of ballyclare! you probably haven't heard of newtownards... =P

ok so i don't have to be present for any sort of ballot and then choosing from a set of available rooms? that's ok.. and eek! above the pick? hmm. i bet i get that room if i get in... it would be just my luck..

so the thing about sleeping within a certain radius of..somewhere.. doesn't really mean anything?

a-levels are... yes.. going. no more english exams for me! hurrah!
Hey there,
If those are the rooms I'm thinking of (there's one longer corridor above the pick, and then another staircase with just two rooms) then you're about right: they're a bit smaller than most rooms, and a bit noisier than most freshers' rooms (only those facing onto Magdalene Street get bus noises and so forth).

Rent is according to the size and quality of your room, but no fresher's room is going to be less than 56/pw (the second from bottom band), and there's not any that are going to be more than 70/pw (although some rooms you can pick in your second year go up to 75 and 79). There's not a huge range in rents, as you can see, but if you feel that you won't be able to afford a higher band, do get in touch with the college - they should be very willing to make sure you get what you want.

My advice, unless you're having financial woes, is to go with the flow. Everyone's rooms are picked at random in the first year, and nobody knows where they're going to live until the day they show up. If you get a room and feel it's a real ****hole, you *can* ask to be moved.

Best, Tom

(Liz: Hi there! Good to see you've found this place - I saw it a while back and drop by every now and again to answer freshers' questions. It's nice to get involved without having to wear the horrid orange committee t-shirt, eh? )
Reply 196
you pay for 10 weeks rent, although full term is only 8 weeks long ie the amount of time you HAVE to be in College residence. It's nice having paid for two extra weeks because it means that you can stay on after all the lectures are over and enjoy Cambridge without the work. Having said that, if you don't stay over for those extra two weeks then you do technically lose money...
Anyone need any help/information bout Magdalene PM me. I am a soon to be 2nd year vet.

Ps hey tariqe, long time no see be great to catch up sometime
Reply 198
aaah, what an offer bennyboyhanning :biggrin: thanks :smile:
Jucus
aaah, what an offer bennyboyhanning :biggrin: thanks :smile:

No worries, I know i had loads of questions when i was coming, so am happy to be of use! :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending