The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Magdalene College (Cambridge) Students and 2016 entry Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Thanks Jo for your reply -again :smile:
As for my luggage I focus more on those very important dvds,cds,photos etc all that can help surviving the first few days and afterwards the high stress level.As a girl I do have to concentrate on my look :wink: but again: what I'm planning is how many clothes can I wash together and how quick they dry (still hating the idea of tumble dryers...), everything else comes only after that :biggrin:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 381
Those are 5 very good points.. and yet.. everytime I try to reduce the amount of stuff I end up just saying 'oh but I really like that, it would be handy for when...'
I'm gonna look like a fool with 3 massive suitcases aren't i?
Fun fun!

I think I'll be busy enough with law lectures and supervisions and so on.. but it would be fun to go to some other lectures.. just to spice up my education..

[ed] I never thought about anything complicated like drying times.. but I guess if I have a lot of clothes, I have to wash them less often? my look seems like it's gonna be trousers, t-shirt, hoody.. how original :p:
Reply 382
though I'm still desperate about choosing between my three very favourite boots (initially I wanted to bring only 1, now I must face the fact that even leaving one of them home makes me utterly sad...):smile:
Judit, how are you going to bring all your stuff over from Hungary? Surely weight restrictions on flights would be far too low for all that...

Julia, Judit - allow me to reiterate point #1
YOU WILL DEFINITELY BRING TOO MUCH STUFF

Everyone does.
When you're looking at the stuff in your room at home, it just all seems so necessary, doesn't it? Then the whole term you'll only use it once, or forget you've even got it... It's hard, sometimes you just have to be brutal about what you leave behind.

The rest of the time you just have to keep loading the car until the doors won't shut, and see how much you can get away with :p:
Reply 384
hahah,I bring my mum for an extra 20 kilos :biggrin: and afterwards there is an other solution: our friend operates an international logistics company and she can arrange for me that they bring some of my stuff home/back, especially for the long vacation (I hope to leave a couple of things-photos,books etc. in college for the shorter holidays).
Reply 385
I'm bringing both parents for the extra 40kg.. well 60kg inc hand luggage..
I'm such a lovely daughter..

I'm not even going to list the shoes that I'm bringing.. but they do all have their uses.. I promise.
They weigh your hand luggage too?! Blimey, short-haul sucks...
Reply 387
well.. they can.. I think with sleazyjet you just have to be able to put it in the overhead compartment by yourself.. but flybe like it to be 10kg..
so the trick is to make it look like it's not heavy..

Short haul really sucks now that Air Berlin have pulled out of Belfast city.. to be replaced by... Ryanair.. joy. No more free food/drinks and canadian candid camera to watch.. :frown:
Reply 388
I love Air Berlin and their cheese sandwiches! :biggrin:
Well, I bring only 1 parent and actually she is the one who is trying to put even more stuff in my luggage but I do my best and resist the temptation of bringing my whole room with me.I keep repeating one reason in my head: if I come home for holidays I will need them so why bother bringing them somewhere else for 1 or two months?!
Well, we'll see soon how much is my actual lugagge weight...
This is something I remember finding highly exciting as a fresher this time last year - follow this link to find out what your @cam.ac.uk email address is :eek:
http://www.cam.ac.uk/cs/new-students/newugmail.html
That's cool, the way it picks you out from the database.
Reply 391
hmm.. my initials must be quite popular..
..and I just put it into a facebook thingy forgetting I won't get the password for a while.. damn.
Reply 392
I have a more "down to earth" question now, in the very last minutes: do we have to pay our first college bill right on the first day?or will we get it only the first day and we can pay it until the 7th November as indicated in one of those guides.Thanks :smile:
I forget what the date is exactly, but the bill has a deadline on it by which you have to pay, and yes this is usually somewhere around the first week of November. You don't have to pay it until the deadline. If the deadline comes and you forget, they'll email you a "hey bitch where's my money" (not literally... apologies to Family Guy...) to remind you. They don't charge you extra for being late or anything like that! You might as well wait for the email, keep that cash earning interest in your account for as loooong as possible :smile:
Reply 394
oh.. for matriculation, do we need to bring our a-level results slip? and do we need gcse and AS certificates/results slips as well? I can't seem to find anything that says about it.. but I'm probably not looking right..
Er... no, I don't think so. I don't remember needing any of that anyway.
mwiko
oh.. for matriculation, do we need to bring our a-level results slip? and do we need gcse and AS certificates/results slips as well? I can't seem to find anything that says about it.. but I'm probably not looking right..

I doubt it, given that the slips don't count as proof as results. I think some colleges ask for certificates, but it doesn't look like Magdalene does... it would be a bit difficult anyway, as A level certificates aren't out yet.
Reply 397
hmmm thanks...as for the fresher's bop, can I be also a fairy tale (not Disney related!) character or only cartoon??I think there are some less known cartoons made of this tale but I'm not sure how popular they are in the UK... (you do know the character though, 100% but I won't reveal it :wink: )
Reply 398
ok, thanks, I just wanted to check that I wasn't being really blind and not seeing "bring your results" in big bold letters somewhere..

wait.. the bop's theme has been unleashed? I thought it was all hush hush til the last minute and you had to rush like mad to oxfam and get a costume..
Cartoon characters you say?

...if anime characters don't count then I'm in trouble. :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending