The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

There is a fair amount of grey area with regards re-broadcasting live TV.

My bother has a Slingbox set-up on an extra cable box at his house in Michigan. The only purpose of that Slingbox and said extra cable box is to allow me (sat over here in the UK) to watch US cable on my own television. Part of his cable package (and therefore watchable by me) includes channels that show Premiership football live (Fox Soccer).

Using Slingboxes in this manner in not illegal, indeed that is their purpose, to allow re-broadcasting of media content. The difference though is a Slingbox only allows a single distant viewer whereas straming via a website allows multiple viewers.

Sky have tried taking people through the courts before to protect their right to screen Premiership football but in a fairly recent case (a women who used a non-UK satelite TV provider to screen football in her pub) they lost.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/feb/03/eu-law-sports-rights
Reply 21
Original post by TheGrandmaster
Does the site contravene the law of the land? If it is illegal to put your telly on tinternet is it illegal to put it in your window? Same thing just a wider audience.

Your second point is a good one, the only thing I would say is that depends on your definition of 'the service'. The service is not to watch it otherwise sky would charge extra if mates came round as they too would be watching it and therefore receiving 'the service'.

Bare in mind that my original point was not that it isn't illegal I'm pretty sure it is, but that it's not as clear cut as some posters think. Therefore the chances of getting prosecuted, let alone actually found guilty are practically nil.

Yes.. it is against the law in England to watch illegal streams online. If they take you to court with evidence, you will be found guilty and prosecuted.

Because streams are over the internet which is near impossible to regulate, it lets those who watch illegal streams less likely to get caught. Internet providers generally have refused to give up IP addresses and their customer details/usage but they get a lot of pressure about it and sooner or later it will happen and people will be made an example of.

Tbh they also realise that it's not time or cost effective to go after each invidiual currently so they usually try and prosecute those who set up/provide the streams.

Just because it's not convential theft doesn't mean it isn't. IP rights are massively important and very strict laws exist to protect them and in many areas they are aggresively defended.

The service is providing the game - it doesn't mean there is an invidual service to each person who is watching it, it's just a flat fee to provide it to that screen. How do you think box office on tv works?
Reply 22
Original post by James1977
There is a fair amount of grey area with regards re-broadcasting live TV.

My bother has a Slingbox set-up on an extra cable box at his house in Michigan. The only purpose of that Slingbox and said extra cable box is to allow me (sat over here in the UK) to watch US cable on my own television. Part of his cable package (and therefore watchable by me) includes channels that show Premiership football live (Fox Soccer).

Using Slingboxes in this manner in not illegal, indeed that is their purpose, to allow re-broadcasting of media content. The difference though is a Slingbox only allows a single distant viewer whereas straming via a website allows multiple viewers.

Sky have tried taking people through the courts before to protect their right to screen Premiership football but in a fairly recent case (a women who used a non-UK satelite TV provider to screen football in her pub) they lost.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/feb/03/eu-law-sports-rights

Analogy is wrong in the screening in pubs. The premier league sold their tv rights individually to different territories and they pub landlord decided to buy the cable from another EU source and due to free movement of goods and services, she had an arguable case.

Whereas those streaming online at home haven't paid nor gotten from a source which has obtained the right to show the game.

In the Slingbox example, someone is still paying for the cable in the USA to let you watch it here.

Latest