The Student Room Group

Year 12s 2011-12: What AS Levels are you doing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Satta101
What AS Levels are you doing?: Biology, Chemistry, Maths, RE
Are you going to continue them all to A2? If not, which will you drop?: Maths probably not sure?
Any particular uni you want to go to?: Cambridge, Kings College, Barts and The London, University of East Anglia and Brighton and Sussex Medical School. I have to decide which four though.

Just some advice: (I've been researching Cambridge for years) you might want to drop RE rather than one of the sciences because top unis like three sciences (maths counts) at A level. If you're hoping to apply to Cambridge or King's, you might be facing people who've taken four sciences all the way to A2, so it's best to keep as strong scientifically as you can. But obviously, there are other factors, and if you hate maths, feel free to drop it!

:smile:
Reply 21
Original post by meowcat95
Just some advice: (I've been researching Cambridge for years) you might want to drop RE rather than one of the sciences because top unis like three sciences (maths counts) at A level. If you're hoping to apply to Cambridge or King's, you might be facing people who've taken four sciences all the way to A2, so it's best to keep as strong scientifically as you can. But obviously, there are other factors, and if you hate maths, feel free to drop it!

Thanks! I'm not really sure, I wanted to drop it in fear it might become to hard for me, but secretly I want to carry all onto A2!
Reply 22
What AS Levels are you doing?:

History, Economics, Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Physics.

Are you going to continue them all to A2? If not, which will you drop?:

No. I'll probably drop Physics.

Are you doing any other qualifications alongside - eg. an extra GCSE or a retake?:

Catholic sixth form, so I have to take RE either as an AS or do an EPQ.

What are you hoping to do/thinking about doing at uni?:

Economics.

Any particular uni you want to go to?:

Bath or LSE would be best.

What career would you like to pursue afterwards?:

Work at IMF, as a teacher or whatever may come my way.
(edited 12 years ago)
What AS Levels are you doing?: Chemistry, Biology, French & Media Studies, but I intend to change Media Studies for Psychology, Politics or History

Are you going to continue them all to A2? If not, which will you drop?: I'll only continue with Chemistry, Biology & French. I'll be dropping the fourth subject.

Are you doing any other qualifications alongside - eg. an extra GCSE or a retake?: Nope.

What are you hoping to do/thinking about doing at uni?: Something Chemistry & Biology related and French if it's possible.

Any particular uni you want to go to?: Nope, not yet.

What career would you like to pursue afterwards?: One in forensic science like scene of crime investigation or toxicology
What AS Levels are you doing?: Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Geography
Are you going to continue them all to A2? If not, which will you drop?: Continuing them all.
Are you doing any other qualifications alongside - eg. an extra GCSE or a retake?: EPQ, YASS, British Sign Language, General Studies AS and Critical Thinking A2
What are you hoping to do/thinking about doing at uni?: Medicine :biggrin:
Any particular uni you want to go to?: Cambridge :biggrin:
What career would you like to pursue afterwards?: Doctor :biggrin:
Reply 25
What AS Levels are you doing?: English Literature, History, Philosophy & Ethics, Biology, General Studies (possibly Critical Thinking)

Are you going to continue them all to A2? If not, which will you drop?: I hope to continue them all to A2, but I'll definitely drop GS if I don't think I'll do well in it and I would consider dropping Biology but I'd prefer to not.

Are you doing any other qualifications alongside - eg. an extra GCSE or a retake?: I'm doing an Extended Project related to English Literature (Paradise Lost). I am considering turning my short-course Latin into Full-course, but it entirely depends on my results & I most likely won't be.

What are you hoping to do/thinking about doing at uni?: As you may have already guessed, English Literature (or Lang & Lit combo, with the emphasis on Lit)

Any particular uni you want to go to?: Oxford, hopefully :colondollar: Also like the look of Durham, UCL & York but open days should help me decide more.

What career would you like to pursue afterwards?: Less certain here. Charity work, journalism, academia, creative writing (ie being a novelist) & law all sound appealing.
Reply 26
What AS Levels are you doing?: Maths (with Decision as my Applied), ICT, English Lit, Ethics & Philosophy, General Studies
Are you going to continue them all to A2? If not, which will you drop?: Gonna drop English Lit methinks
Are you doing any other qualifications alongside - eg. an extra GCSE or a retake?: Doing the AQA Bacc.
What are you hoping to do/thinking about doing at uni?: Definitely ICT and/or Education
Any particular uni you want to go to?: not really
What career would you like to pursue afterwards?: Secondary ICT
What AS Levels are you doing?: Biology, chemistry, food technology and psychology.
Are you going to continue them all to A2? If not, which will you drop?: Dropping psychology after the first year
Are you doing any other qualifications alongside - eg. an extra GCSE or a retake?: Nope
What are you hoping to do/thinking about doing at uni?: A food science course
Any particular uni you want to go to?: Hopefully Leeds :biggrin:
What career would you like to pursue afterwards?: Something to do with food science
Reply 28
What AS Levels are you doing?:History, French, English Literature, Maths, English Language
Are you going to continue them all to A2? If not, which will you drop?: Keeping them all :smile:
Are you doing any other qualifications alongside - eg. an extra GCSE or a retake?: Would love to do GCSE Italian, but don't think my school offers it :frown:
What are you hoping to do/thinking about doing at uni?: French and History
Any particular uni you want to go to?: Oxford, Durham, Warwick, Edinburgh, St Andrews/York or Harvard, Princeton, Yale
What career would you like to pursue afterwards?: Not sure yet, but thinking of civil service, or teaching as a back-up (or doing a phd and becoming a university lecturer if I could afford it!)
Reply 29
What AS Levels are you doing?: Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths, and Psychology.
Are you going to continue them all to A2? If not, which will you drop?: Pretty sure about dropping psychology.
Are you doing any other qualifications alongside - eg. an extra GCSE or a retake?: Nope
What are you hoping to do/thinking about doing at uni?: Veterinary Science
Any particular uni you want to go to?: Well there's only 7 to choose from...
What career would you like to pursue afterwards?: Vet, or a researcher in that field.
Reply 30
What AS Levels are you doing?:Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Physics
Are you going to continue them all to A2? If not, which will you drop?: Physics
Are you doing any other qualifications alongside - eg. an extra GCSE or a retake?:No
What are you hoping to do/thinking about doing at uni?: Veterinary Medicine
Any particular uni you want to go to?:Erm, not many to choose from really but... Nottingham, RVC, Bristol, Cambridge
What career would you like to pursue afterwards?: Vet of course! :biggrin:
Reply 31
What AS Levels are you doing?: Further Maths, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics (+ an ICT AS I have already achieved)
Are you going to continue them all to A2? If not, which will you drop?: I will definitely keep full A2s in Bio/Chem/Maths and then one of either FM or Physics.
Are you doing any other qualifications alongside - eg. an extra GCSE or a retake?: Hopefully not.
What are you hoping to do/thinking about doing at uni?: Medicine
Any particular uni you want to go to?: Russel Group or Cambridge hopefully.
What career would you like to pursue afterwards?: Self-explanatory.
Reply 32
What AS Levels are you doing?: English lit, French, Geography, Politics/History
Are you going to continue them all to A2? If not, which will you drop?:hm not sure. If i choose to drop one it would probably be politics/history
Are you doing any other qualifications alongside - eg. an extra GCSE or a retake?: Hopefully spanish as an extra :smile:
What are you hoping to do/thinking about doing at uni?: Law maybe with french
Any particular uni you want to go to?:Birmingham or UCL
What career would you like to pursue afterwards?:Charity work, law
(edited 12 years ago)
What AS Levels are you doing?: English Literature, Biology, Economics, Psychology
Are you going to continue them all to A2? If not, which will you drop?: Dropping Economics i think
Are you doing any other qualifications alongside - eg. an extra GCSE or a retake?: No.
What are you hoping to do/thinking about doing at uni?: Law :biggrin:
Any particular uni you want to go to?: UCL, it looks so amazing
What career would you like to pursue afterwards?: Solicitor
What AS Levels are you doing?: Biology, Chemistry, Geography and English Literature.
Are you going to continue them all to A2? If not, which will you drop?: English Lit, unless I can't cope with Chemistry :tongue:
Are you doing any other qualifications alongside - eg. an extra GCSE or a retake?: No.
What are you hoping to do/thinking about doing at uni?: Zoology :biggrin:
Any particular uni you want to go to?: Not one in particular, but i like the look of Durham, Bristol... any Russell Group uni would be great really!
What career would you like to pursue afterwards?: Not sure, i think either research, conservation work or teaching. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by itsmagic

We have quite a bit in common :smile:

What AS Levels are you doing?: Spanish, Biology, Chemistry and Maths (couldn't fit Music in :frown: )
Are you going to continue them all to A2? If not, which will you drop?: No idea haha, still early
Are you doing any other qualifications alongside - eg. an extra GCSE or a retake?: Erm no? I'm doing piano exams etc.?
What are you hoping to do/thinking about doing at uni?: Medicine (fingers crossed!)
Any particular uni you want to go to?: I would love to go to Cambridge, not mainly because of prestige but because the city is beautiful and I loved it when I visited it. Doubt I'd get in though haha! Interested in Kings as well!
What career would you like to pursue afterwards?:
Eventually I'd love to be a paediatrician!

I did those AS-levels :biggrin:
Reply 36
Original post by lil_miss_rapunzel
I did those AS-levels :biggrin:

Ooh, how did you find them? :smile:
Reply 37
What AS Levels are you doing?: Biology, Chemistry, English Lit, Philosophy, Maths/ maybe history (undecided)
Are you going to continue them all to A2? If not, which will you drop?: Dunno yet
Are you doing any other qualifications alongside - eg. an extra GCSE or a retake?: Russian GCSE
What are you hoping to do/thinking about doing at uni?: Dentistry/Chemistry/EnglishLit/Med
Any particular uni you want to go to?: Cambridge, Oxford, UCL, Kings or Imperial
What career would you like to pursue afterwards?: Dont wanna do one job :biggrin: probably dentist, gp, lecturer
Reply 38
What AS Levels are you doing?: Economics, English Lit, History, Maths, Spanish
Are you going to continue them all to A2? If not, which will you drop?: Not sure
What are you hoping to do/thinking about doing at uni?: Law
Any particular uni you want to go to?: Cambridge :P
What career would you like to pursue afterwards?: Something Law based probably

Ooh, how did you find them? :smile:

I enjoyed them- I'd probably do the same subjects again if I could go back. I found Spanish to be the subject with the highest workload (probably more than the others put together in terms of the amount of independent work you were expected to/needed to do) and I dropped it at AS but I'm still glad I did it. It was nice to have a bit of a contrast to the sciences :smile: I loved Chemistry at AS but it got a lot harder at A2 IMO, and Biology was v.interesting but I had to do a lot of revision for it because there was a high volume of facts and processes to learn whereas Chemistry was more understanding things and applying them. Maths was my favourite subject and the one I found easiest to practice and revise for :biggrin:

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest