The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Freshers 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LGrosvenor101
I GOT INTO WARWICK FOR CHEMISTRY. :biggrin: I just thought that you would like to know as a fellow Warwick chemist! :biggrin: I also saw earlier in this post that you lived in Arthur Vick? (at least I think I read that!) Arthur Vick is my first choice accommodation! :smile: Do you know when we find out about where we are living? thanks xD and thanks for the timetable you sent me recently, I can actually read it now reading that that is what I am doing! :biggrin:

CONGRATULATIONS! :woo: :party: :woo:

It's going to be a great year. I look forward to seeing you at some of the chemsoc events! :awesome: (which you WILL be going to I hope :hmmm:) . You'll hear about accommodation in September sometime. Just checked my e-mail archive, and it appears mine arrived on the 8th September :curious: . You won't know your actual room number till a little later though :h:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Nirgilis
CONGRATULATIONS! :woo: :party: :woo:

It's going to be a great year. I look forward to seeing you at some of the chemsoc events! :awesome: (which you WILL be going to I hope :hmmm:) . You'll hear about accommodation in September sometime. Just checked my e-mail archive, and it appears mine arrived on the 8th September :curious: . You won't know your actual room number till a little later though :h:

Thanks :biggrin: I look forward to seeing you too! I shall be going to them, so don't worry :P and oh OK, still have a while to wait then :frown: I want to know asap now that I know that I am in lol! And ok xD but at least I shall know where I am staying! By the way, thank you for all the advice and help :biggrin:
Original post by shanban
Woo! *high 5s* what accom have you guys put as 1st/2nd/3rd?

Rootes, Cryfield, Whitefields :smile:
Anyone got accepted for PPE? I'm really chuffed to be in. :smile:
Reply 184
-----------------------So everyone who will be under 18 during Freshers:-----------------------------
Join this group
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=2092

We can discuss details of stuff to do during evening events etc here
Original post by Philosopher Queen
I got in for Philosophy, over the moon and can't wait to start! Bit disappointed that the lectures are in freshers week (or that freshers week interferes with lectures-however you want to look at it!)

Anyone else for philosophy??

Me :biggrin: - I got an offer yesterday via adjustment!
Reply 186
Who here is going to buy a Freshers Passport 2k12??
I reckon I will, cos I'm sure I want to go to most of the freshers events =)
Original post by Quexx

I got one last year - definitely worth the money and saves the hassle of buying tickets before they sold out :smile:
WOOOOOOOOOOO GO WARWICK
I was a fresher last year and I guarantee you'll love it :biggrin:
Here if you have any questions :smile:
Reply 189
Original post by hannah.austin
I got one last year - definitely worth the money and saves the hassle of buying tickets before they sold out :smile:

Platinum card not worth it then?
Original post by Roy064

It depends really - I, personally, love the SU and spent a lot of time there last year, enough to warrant buying a platinum card (I didn't, but really should have).
However, my hallmates weren't as keen and preferred to go to other places in Cov/Leam (which are also great).
I reckon if you're planning on getting involved in sports and therefore will be going to Pop!/circling most weeks then it's definitely worth it.
I think (but not entirely sure) that the SU operated a system last year where you got your freshers passport refunded if you bought a platinum card in the first couple of weeks, so it might be worth waiting and seeing how much you like the SU :smile:
Original post by Roy064

It's a gamble. I and several friends got very very into going to pop every week (or at least planning on doing so before we got too drunk and suddenly it was 4am and we hadn't left the kitchen and 3 of us were passed out) which meant that the platinum was absolutely cost effective for me. However, it is 1 club you are commiting to go to weekly and not the best club around tbh unless you're pretty plastered in which case being able to crawl home is incredibly useful.

Most people get pretty sick of the Copper Rooms and don't want to go ever/more than once a month or so. If you reckon you're persuasive enough to sell it regularly to whoever it is you end up hanging out with I wouldn't recommend it. If you are, absolutely I spent my life there!
Reply 192
Original post by Quexx

It depends really - I, personally, love the SU and spent a lot of time there last year, enough to warrant buying a platinum card (I didn't, but really should have).
However, my hallmates weren't as keen and preferred to go to other places in Cov/Leam (which are also great).
I reckon if you're planning on getting involved in sports and therefore will be going to Pop!/circling most weeks then it's definitely worth it.
I think (but not entirely sure) that the SU operated a system last year where you got your freshers passport refunded if you bought a platinum card in the first couple of weeks, so it might be worth waiting and seeing how much you like the SU :smile:

Will someone be able to briefly explain what the the platinum card and freshers passport is please? :smile:
Original post by MHRed
Will someone be able to briefly explain what the the platinum card and freshers passport is please? :smile:

Sure :smile:
The freshers passport will get you in to any of the events on freshers fortnight, which you can see on the right hand side of this page: http://www.warwicksu.com/freshers/#whatson
It guarantees you entry to each event before 11pm which is so useful as last year all the freshers events were packed! It also saves having to remember to book tickets to each separate event (they will sell out).
I bought one last year and I would definitely recommend if you are planning on going to the freshers party plus most other events. If you don't think you'll go to the freshers party I probably wouldn't bother - that's the most expensive event.

The platinum card does the same as the freshers passport, except it's valid for the entire year. So it includes all the events such as Skool Days (love of my life haha), the Christmas party and the Summer party, which costs £35 on its own.
It's a big spend out but if you are sporty (so going to Pop! most weeks) or just a massive party animal I think it probably pays off.
Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 194
Sure :smile:
It's a big spend out but if you are sporty (so going to Pop! most weeks) or just a massive party animal I think it probably pays off.
Hope this helps :smile:

Right, cheers :smile: How come if you're sporty, you'd be going Pop! btw? Don't get the link, haha :tongue:
Original post by MHRed
Right, cheers :smile: How come if you're sporty, you'd be going Pop! btw? Don't get the link, haha :tongue:

Pop! is basically the sports clubs piss up night :tongue:
From about 7:30 they do this thing called 'circling' where all the sports teams go to the SU before Pop! starts and play drinking games. I think most clubs participate nearly every week :smile:
Reply 196
Hey, is there anyone on this thread doing Ancient History and Archaeology?
I'm so happy I got in (and it seems everyone else is too!)
Freshers looks fantastic, are people thinking of buying the Passport?
Original post by annahep

What up, I'm a second year Class civ with philosophy student (basically I did intro to ancient philosophy instead of intro to ancient history module is the only difference). On a shameless note of self-promotion when I appear at the front of your lecture some time in the first couple of weeks, listen to what I have to say it's about a fun play and stuff I'm directing for classics society and whatnot!

I'd say passport is definitely a good idea if you like going out. Even if you only break even on it it saves so much trouble in booking tickets before they run out. First couple weeks you'll mostly be hanging out with your flat, but the classics society is also a very sociable bunch (certainly the most sociable academic society I'm aware of) and I would massively recommend coming along when the socials start up.
I am so EXCITED :smile:
Original post by annahep

Hey! I'm doing the VV14 Ancient History and Classical Archaeology course starting in October. By the time results came around I was convinced I hadn't got in, so I was so relieved when I did! And excited! Not only do I love the Uni, but the course looks brilliant.

My brother already goes to Warwick, and I've been advised to get the passport. Haha, so I probably will. Less hassle than buying individual tickets. Will probably go to every event during Freshers anyway (except maybe Tinchey Stryder...) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest