The Student Room Group

No university for the second year!

I should have gone to uni last year, but I had only two A levels in math and chemistry and AS physics. I got ''A B A'' respectively in these A levels. I only did two A levels, because they did not allow me to do a third, because I only got 4 GCSE's and I did not do GCSE english. I did my GCSE english the next year and got a B. I also did A2 further math, A2 physics and some of my math modules to get an A*. I ended up with A* math, B chemistry, C physics, C further math. My predicted grades where all A's. I
Should have got an A in physics and at least a B in further math. I was very sick during the exam period and I did not do my last physics module, because I was in the hospital. I literally had no concentration. I manged to get 100% in C3 with no revision, which is why I got an A* in math.

I have been declined by my firm and insurance choice. I manged to get a clearing place for math G100 at brunel univeristy, but I really did not like the course content.
I don't know what to do. I don't want to stay in college for another year, which makes it 4 years in total.
Reply 1
Did you let the exam boards know about you being in hospital?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Yes i did let them know, but if i apply for the special consideration it would not make any difference.
Reply 3
Original post by RADWAN
Yes i did let them know, but if i apply for the special consideration it would not make any difference.

Are you sure? Seems a bit odd that the exam board would just give you a U for a module you physically couldn't attend.
Reply 4
I know this isn't the answer you wanted but I really think you ought to go to university next year and do something constructive in this academic year. I just turned 20 and am only just going to uni this year. But I can tell you that at this moment in time I am so glad that I didn't settle for a lesser uni for the sake of time. Too many people rush into uni as quickly as possible these days. It's the rest of your life we're talking about here and I think it's worth losing a year or even two years in order to do a university course that you feel you can excel in.
Reply 5
Original post by Greggae
I know this isn't the answer you wanted but I really think you ought to go to university next year and do something constructive in this academic year. I just turned 20 and am only just going to uni this year. But I can tell you that at this moment in time I am so glad that I didn't settle for a lesser uni for the sake of time. Too many people rush into uni as quickly as possible these days. It's the rest of your life we're talking about here and I think it's worth losing a year or even two years in order to do a university course that you feel you can excel in.

Any other year, I would agree with you.

However the situation is different this year due to the increased fees.
Reply 6
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
Any other year, I would agree with you.

However the situation is different this year due to the increased fees.

The situation with fees isn't as bad as it seems, student finance will cover the bulk of the fees in the same way it always does. And although you have to pay the student finance back, they take such a small amount of your paycheck over such a long time that it's barely noticeable. And they dont even start taking money off you until you earn over a certain amount. I think fees are worth having in the back of your mind but it shouldn't be a deciding factor in my opinion.
Reply 7
Original post by Greggae
The situation with fees isn't as bad as it seems, student finance will cover the bulk of the fees in the same way it always does. And although you have to pay the student finance back, they take such a small amount of your paycheck over such a long time that it's barely noticeable. And they dont even start taking money off you until you earn over a certain amount. I think fees are worth having in the back of your mind but it shouldn't be a deciding factor in my opinion.

Not that this effects me, but when you say bulk of the fees do you mean, student finance pays most but not all your fees through a loan and the rest you pay before or whilst you are at uni. Or do you mean they pay all your fees for your course and you pay back when you start working and earning over a certain amount.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Well accomodation prices will of course vary from uni to uni, but most of the time your student loan will cover the cost of your accomodation but you wont be left with much if any spending money. Sometimes it doesn't quite cover the accomodation costs so you may need to find a little bit of money to cover the excess. When it comes to actual tuition fees. You NEVER see that money, is goes straight to the university as they probably think the average student would spend it on alcohol and never end up paying for their course. All of this money comes out of the same pot and it is this pot that you will be slowly but easily repaying for the next few years.

I hope that made sense like it did in my head :/
Regarding next years fee situation, take a look at Why £45k of uni debt shouldn't worry you one little bit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending