The Student Room Group

Geology/Earth Science Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zottula
Surely if they are letting you resit then they think you are capable of pushing the grade up to a B? They would have advised against a resit if they think you can't improve it! Yes go pester them.

You would think so.. And, I was predicted an A at AS, so I don't know why everything has suddenly changed! I have asked them twice already, but neither teacher has provided a definitive answer..
Reply 181
Original post by paulbridger
You would think so.. And, I was predicted an A at AS, so I don't know why everything has suddenly changed! I have asked them twice already, but neither teacher has provided a definitive answer..

I think with a bit of fuss they will budge, especially as you are retaking!
Original post by Zottula
I think with a bit of fuss they will budge, especially as you are retaking!

I hope so, if they don't I'm taking it to the head of Sixth Form..
Reply 183
Original post by hash007
St. Andrews?!

My dad used to have a flat through there..its too small I think! Having grown up next to a city, i'd get bored :tongue:. It's teeny, pretty as it is.
Reply 184
Anyone thinking of applying for Environmental Geology/Geophysics at UEA, had a read through the course and it sounds quite interesting. Anyone been there before?
Original post by hash007
Anyone thinking of applying for Environmental Geology/Geophysics at UEA, had a read through the course and it sounds quite interesting. Anyone been there before?

I've been there, the campus is great (I stayed for 3 days) there's a lake, and the layout is really nice.

I won't be applying though, partially because it is too close to home, and partially because of the masters entry requirements (A*AA) :eek:
Also, has anybody read Charles Darwin's the Origin of Species?
Finally got my application off yesterday, much relief! I have applied to:

oxford (st Annes)

imperial

bristol

soton - geology and physical geography

Leeds - geology and geography

GCSES: 7A*s 2As
AS: Maths - 84%
Chem - 78%, resitting unit 2 got a C
Physics - 82%
Geography - 93%

Dreading the thought of having 4 interviews:eek:

Any ideas what I can read as I talked about volcanology in my ps.
Reply 188
Original post by carsonator
Finally got my application off yesterday, much relief! I have applied to:

[*]oxford (st Annes)
[*]imperial

I know it is probably too early but have you had an acknowledgement email from either Oxford or Imperial as I applied on 23/09/11 but still have not heard anything from either!?
To abemco:
Not got any or my track welcome letter. Do they send you confirmation emails for geology?
Reply 190
I have acknowledgements off Bristol, Birmingham and Liverpool but nothing off Imperial or Oxford, maybe Oxford wait till after the deadline tomorrow? Who knows
Hello everyone. Sent off my application a few days ago after trecking to every corner of Britain in search of my favourite universities (massive exaggeration).
I've applied to Oxford (Worcester college), Imperial & Imperial with a a year abroad, Leicester and Southampton. I didn't visit Imperial so its a bit of a stab in the dark really. Who knows, in a few months at interviews you may see the face behind the name, although my name isn't actually centurion, that would be weird.
From reading some of the threads there are some fantastic grades flying around so i thought i would put mine on here as well.
GCSEs - (9A*s & 3As). And then i'm currently taking all 4 of my A levels through with Maths 90+%, Geography 100%, Physics 80% and Geology 100% (the percentages may be slight exaggerations as well :wink: and the infamous Welsh bac.
On a serious note nice to meet you all, eventhough its not in person :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 192
I've been acknowledged by Durham, Edinburgh and Cambridge (along with a massive Supplementary Application Questionnaire, thanks Cambridge, there goes my evening) but nothing from my favourite Southampton anyone heard form them?
Reply 193
Hello (;
Sorry to interrupt. I'm going for geology/earth sciences. Hopefully I'll get some offers...
Reply 194
Just had an email acknowledgement from Oxford :eek:
Same! which college?
Reply 196
Worcester, didn't know much about the colleges. My teacher said that it was one of the nicest.
Reply 197
Just got a phone call off the admissions tutor at Imperial inviting me for an interview next Wednesday :smile: Very pleased but worried about the travel cost, it would cost me nearly £200 to travel there and arrive on time, I dont know what to do? Should I email them asking if i could be 30-40 minutes late?
Original post by Chasm
Just got a phone call off the admissions tutor at Imperial inviting me for an interview next Wednesday :smile: Very pleased but worried about the travel cost, it would cost me nearly £200 to travel there and arrive on time, I dont know what to do? Should I email them asking if i could be 30-40 minutes late?

Well done, so did I :smile:

I'm kinda worried about travel costs too, not as much as yours, but still a lot :frown: where are you travelling from?
Reply 199
Original post by lukas1051
Well done, so did I :smile:

I'm kinda worried about travel costs too, not as much as yours, but still a lot :frown: where are you travelling from?

Congrats :biggrin:

Liverpool, I was expecting it to be in a few weeks time to give me time to arrange travel better but I've asked the woman who rang whether it would be ok as that would only cost me around £70 which is a little bit more reasonable, still loads :frown: Oh well, bit daunting when your phone goes off and its Imperial College haha :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending