The Student Room Group

Geology/Earth Science Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hash007
They said it was quite informal on the letter so i'm not sweating it, I was scared for the Imperial one and that went really well.

What time do you have to get there?

11:00 at the Lapworth methinks...
Birmingham interview went well, and they pretty much said I have an offer :biggrin:
Reply 382
Had my interview at Southampton today, it went well although I was told to deliver the talk I had prepared without notes which I hadn't expected. Similar to Imperial's interview although I was talked at a lot more (which was actually really informative but did not feel like an interview, more like a please come to Southampton). Again they basically said they would make me an offer and I would receive the letter in the next few days:biggrin:
Anyone applied at Keele or Manchester?
Original post by abemco
Had my interview at Southampton today, it went well although I was told to deliver the talk I had prepared without notes which I hadn't expected. Similar to Imperial's interview although I was talked at a lot more (which was actually really informative but did not feel like an interview, more like a please come to Southampton). Again they basically said they would make me an offer and I would receive the letter in the next few days:biggrin:

So you have to deliver a talk? I thought you just had to discuss a subject of interest 'intelligently' with the academic for 3-5 minutes?

Also, I have been reliably informed by a geology student at Southampton that if you get called for an interview they want you, and they will almost definitely make you an offer.
Reply 385
Hi Guys,
Applied through UCAS for Geology on Friday 11th Nov- Liverpool, Durham, Southampton, Aberdeen and Exeter. So nervous :tongue:. Predicted A*A*AB. Recieved confirmation from all but Southampton and Aberdeen. Hope you all get into the uni you want xx
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 386
Original post by rachel260
Hi Guys,
Applied through UCAS for Geology on Friday 11th Nov- Liverpool, Durham, Southampton, Aberdeen and Exeter. So nervous :tongue:. Predicted A*A*AB. Recieved confirmation from all but Southampton and Aberdeen. Hope you all get into the uni you want xx

How come you haven't gone for Imperial/Oxford/Cambridge with those grades? :eek:
Original post by hash007
How come you haven't gone for Imperial/Oxford/Cambridge with those grades? :eek:

I'm predicted A*A*A, but didn't apply to Oxbridge/Imperial.

My GCSE's did not meet the minimum requirements for Cambridge and imperial, and you need A-level Maths to study geology at Oxford, it sucks. My highest choice only wants AAB, but I was limited by my GCSE's..
Reply 388
Original post by paulbridger
I'm predicted A*A*A, but didn't apply to Oxbridge/Imperial.

My GCSE's did not meet the minimum requirements for Cambridge and imperial, and you need A-level Maths to study geology at Oxford, it sucks. My highest choice only wants AAB, but I was limited by my GCSE's..

What did you get at GCSE?
Reply 389
Got 4 offers from Leeds, Liverpool, Bristol and Manchester now, just waiting for my UCL interview. Spoke to a friend who had one yesterday for Geophysics. He said 50% was based around your personal statement and 50% about your knowledge and how interested you are. Don't know if that is any help :smile:
Original post by hash007
What did you get at GCSE?

I got AABBBBBCCD ):
Reply 391
Original post by huddsy09
Got 4 offers from Leeds, Liverpool, Bristol and Manchester now, just waiting for my UCL interview. Spoke to a friend who had one yesterday for Geophysics. He said 50% was based around your personal statement and 50% about your knowledge and how interested you are. Don't know if that is any help :smile:

Were you at Bristol yesterday?
Reply 392
Original post by hash007

I dont do maths A-level so Oxford's out and I dont really fancy going to London- my friends at UCL atm studying Medicine and she says its over-rated, plus its wayyy to expensive! :smile:
Reply 393
Got an offer from Exeter today (AAB)- only a day after my confirmation e-mail :biggrin:. Has anyone else applied?
Original post by ihateocr
Anyone applied at Keele or Manchester?

Yep! Leeds (offer made), Manchester (waiting), Cardiff (offer made), Keele (waiting) and Imperial (rejected).
Original post by Leeshieus
Yep! Leeds (offer made), Manchester (waiting), Cardiff (offer made), Keele (waiting) and Imperial (rejected).

Let me know how it goes!
what A levels are you taking?
I have an interview for Oxford! :s-smilie: has anyone else who applied heard anything?
Reply 397
Original post by lukas1051
I have an interview for Oxford! :s-smilie: has anyone else who applied heard anything?

Not heard anything yet, which college are you with?
Original post by hash007
Not heard anything yet, which college are you with?

St. Hughs, I know they've recently been sending out interview notifications for most subjects though, so it's likely to do with the college. Which one did you go for?
Reply 399
Original post by lukas1051
St. Hughs, I know they've recently been sending out interview notifications for most subjects though, so it's likely to do with the college. Which one did you go for?

Worcester

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending