The Student Room Group

Geology/Earth Science Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Woo unconditional from Glasgow, which is a nice backup backup.
Original post by hash007
Join the club! :smile: What was your offer at Imperial?

AAAB :s-smilie: it's harsh but hopefully I can get it.
Has anyone heard from Edinburgh?
Reply 583
Original post by 1platinum
Has anyone heard from Edinburgh?

Nah, it's the only one i still need to hear from
Original post by her17
Nah, it's the only one i still need to hear from

I think they wait until the deadline then before reviewing everyone's applications and making final offers. By the way may I ask what your offer is from Leeds?
I think they wait until the deadline then before reviewing everyone's applications and making final offers. By the way may I ask what your offer is from Leeds?

I'm pretty sure that's what they do. Same with St Andrews. (:
Reply 586
Offers from Oxford and Imperial and have no idea which I'm going to take. Although, I could potentially firm Imperial and insure Oxford due to the grades... So bizarre!
Reply 587
Original post by css-
Offers from Oxford and Imperial and have no idea which I'm going to take. Although, I could potentially firm Imperial and insure Oxford due to the grades... So bizarre!

Congratulations. Tough decision though. Fortunately you have plenty of time to think about it.
Original post by css-

Congratulations! What offers did you get from both?
Reply 589
Original post by Zottula
Congratulations. Tough decision though. Fortunately you have plenty of time to think about it.

Thanks! Ah I know, really hard :frown:

Congratulations! What offers did you get from both?

Already got an A* in Maths so Imperial asked for AAA in addition to that whereas Oxford only asked for AA. Mad!
Original post by css-
Thanks! Ah I know, really hard :frown:

Already got an A* in Maths so Imperial asked for AAA in addition to that whereas Oxford only asked for AA. Mad!

Wow, yes it certainly is a difficult decision then. But a good position to be in though! :smile:
Reply 591

Sure, my offer for Leeds is ABB
Reply 592
Finally got offer from Exeter BBB! 4/5 now. Leeds ABB, Exeter BBB, Plymouth & Portsmouth 300pts. Just waiting to be interviewd by RHUL.

Cant decide between Leeds, Exeter or RHUL for firm. Plymouth is insurance. Thankfully got a while to decide :smile:
Reply 593
Original post by hash007
Been speaking to the admissions teacher and the head of Geology at college, both are telling me not to go for Oxford :/ They said my AS grades (AABB) weren't great and that Oxford itself is not the best for Geology.
Geology teacher said Oxford only get 2 applicants per place, but still not worth me applying there. He said Leicester, Manchester, Leeds, Cardiff would all be excellent places. In his opinion, Imperial is the best in the world for Geology :eek: Both think I should try at Imperial, just not Oxford. Not sure what to do :hmmm:

Anyone studied here at Leicester before, or been to the open day?

An excellent department, very friendly, not easy, lots of rocks (unlike some departments which are all math), loads of fieldwork, good industrial links, great societies.
Reply 594
Original post by Dace83
An excellent department, very friendly, not easy, lots of rocks (unlike some departments which are all math), loads of fieldwork, good industrial links, great societies.

Still have two choices to make, I think Leicester will be one of them.
Reply 595
Original post by Reedsangel
YAY, all five choices came back conditional. :smile: And I dont have to do an interview!!!!

Where did you apply???? I really don't want an interview

I applied:
Southampton, Leicester, Royal Holloway, Portsmouth and Plymouth
Original post by alphadia
Where did you apply???? I really don't want an interview

I applied:
Southampton, Leicester, Royal Holloway, Portsmouth and Plymouth

Both Southampton, and Royal Holloway interview.. :redface:
Original post by paulbridger
Both Southampton, and Royal Holloway interview.. :redface:

Royal Holloway didn't interview me! :smile:
Original post by gelifluction
Royal Holloway didn't interview me! :smile:

I guess they don't interview everyone then, but I know Southampton applicants are all interviewed
Reply 599
Original post by hash007
Still have two choices to make, I think Leicester will be one of them.

I'll go through what Leicester offers

First year everyone does the same which includes geophysics, math (easy), sedimentry, planetary, mineralogy, metamorphics/igneous, geochemistry,mapping and maps/structures.
Fieldwork includes weekend to Ingleton (society run, not conpulsery but good fun), trip to Bardon hill quarry, 10 days on Arran (very enjoyable, in a nice hotel) plus a mapping project of your choice. I went to Rum in Scotland. Second year we have been to Spain so far which is a laugh and very useful, Anglesey in April before returning to Rum.
Over the summer you are expected to get work, i'm hopefully going to a mine in Northumberland but most go abroad.
Third year includes the canary islands, scotland, cornwall etc.
You can switch between courses, for example I switched to AEG which is more geared towards industry. The second year for that includes structures (faults etc), geophysics in the oil industry (quite hard) and Min A which is very good and prectical based. Next semester its sedimentry, mag and met plus ore suite report.
Department is responsive to feedback, lecturers will buy you drinks etc and we have talks with industry experts most weeks.
A little insight I hope, Leicester uni as a whole is third in the UK (behind oxford and cambridge) for student satisfaction.
City is close and the clubs are good

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending