The Student Room Group

Geology/Earth Science Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 920
Original post by stobyw
Ah that's lucky!! Thh I think my parents are doing the same, but as my sister only had a standard room, it's kinda only fair I have the same. I actually have no idea what Glen Eyre is like as i've only seen Wessex, but it seems they both have their advantages and disadvantages from what i've read.

Yeah Im so grateful! Guess its because I shared a room with my twin until we were 16 so I think they want us to have a nice room :P My friend applied for Wessex aswell, they both look great!
Reply 921
Original post by oort
Yeah Im so grateful! Guess its because I shared a room with my twin until we were 16 so I think they want us to have a nice room :P My friend applied for Wessex aswell, they both look great!

Oh yeah I suppose that's fair :smile: Yeah I have a friend that has applied for Glen Eyre, but I think it's quite a good thing we probably won't be in the same area as it means I'll be forced to get involved fully in freshers.

Have you done geology as an A level? I know it's not needed to do the course, but it does make me nervous, going for a subject i've never done before - hopefully it will be great!
Reply 922
Original post by stobyw
Oh yeah I suppose that's fair :smile: Yeah I have a friend that has applied for Glen Eyre, but I think it's quite a good thing we probably won't be in the same area as it means I'll be forced to get involved fully in freshers.

Have you done geology as an A level? I know it's not needed to do the course, but it does make me nervous, going for a subject i've never done before - hopefully it will be great!

Im doing geology A level :smile: honestly I think the first year will be a crash course to get everyone up to speed so I dont think I'll have anymore of an advantage really C:

And exactly! I really hope I make friends quickly...aha
Reply 923
Original post by oort
Im doing geology A level :smile: honestly I think the first year will be a crash course to get everyone up to speed so I dont think I'll have anymore of an advantage really C:

And exactly! I really hope I make friends quickly...aha

Yeah I suppose so. I just can't wait to start :biggrin:
Does anybody know what Leeds or Leicesters reputation is like for geology?

Out of the 5 i have applied to, these were the only 2 that offered a year's placement, which i quite want to do. My other 3 choices are Bristol, Southampton and Aberdeen. I was quite keen on Southampton, but am having second thoughts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
:smile:
Reply 925
[INDENT]

Both are excellent imo. Leeds is a big, modern dept with superb facilities and a wide range of course options on the Geological Sciences course. Have you visited them? If not you need to. Also look at Royal Holloway.

Haven't been to Bristol, but my son and I didn't like Southampton. Good dept but it's well away from the rest of the uni and the city seemed a bit run-down. Portsmouth was much nicer.
Reply 926
Original post by Katherine600

Out of the 5 i have applied to, these were the only 2 that offered a year's placement, which i quite want to do. My other 3 choices are Bristol, Southampton and Aberdeen. I was quite keen on Southampton, but am having second thoughts.

Leicester’s pretty good, and if you get ABB you get a £1250 grant if I remember rightly :smile: I’ve firmed Southampton and I absolutely loved the department, even though the NOC's a bit away from rest of the campus apparently in the first year most of the lectures are at the main campus anyway and its only after then that all lectures are at the NOC :smile:
Original post by dadrock
[INDENT]

Both are excellent imo. Leeds is a big, modern dept with superb facilities and a wide range of course options on the Geological Sciences course. Have you visited them? If not you need to. Also look at Royal Holloway.

Haven't been to Bristol, but my son and I didn't like Southampton. Good dept but it's well away from the rest of the uni and the city seemed a bit run-down. Portsmouth was much nicer.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to visit any of the unis i applied to. I live abroad and last summer i was planning on doing biological sciences, so looked at 11 unis that didn't do geology.

I really liked the feel of a campus uni, like York.
Can I asked but you and your son didn't quite like about southampton, as i was planning on firming it?

Thanks for your help
Original post by oort
Leicester’s pretty good, and if you get ABB you get a £1250 grant if I remember rightly :smile: I’ve firmed Southampton and I absolutely loved the department, even though the NOC's a bit away from rest of the campus apparently in the first year most of the lectures are at the main campus anyway and its only after then that all lectures are at the NOC :smile:

Yeah, I've been offered the grant if i get ABB, but i need ABB to get in so thats definitely something that makes me want to go to Leicester.

Have you visited any of the other unis?

Have you visited Southampton? And if you have, what did you think of the city?

Thank You
Reply 929
Yeah, I've been offered the grant if i get ABB, but i need ABB to get in so thats definitely something that makes me want to go to Leicester.

Have you visited any of the other unis?

Have you visited Southampton? And if you have, what did you think of the city?

Thank You

I visited Birmingham, Leicester, Portsmouth, Cardiff, Exeter and Southampton :smile:

I really like Southampton, Ive been there for a couple of gigs at the Guildhall which was fab xD, they have a massive shopping centre and IKEA which is great and just thought that the city looked pretty much like any uni town; I come from Kingston and its much nicer than here :P plus its only 20 mins from the Isle of Wight which is definitly a plus :smile:
Reply 930
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to visit any of the unis i applied to. I live abroad and last summer i was planning on doing biological sciences, so looked at 11 unis that didn't do geology.

I really liked the feel of a campus uni, like York.
Can I asked but you and your son didn't quite like about southampton, as i was planning on firming it?

Thanks for your help

Our opinions on Southampton:

The union building was very run-down and in dire need of a refurb, yet they used this as a focus for the open day.

There are basically 3 campuses (4 if you include the Winchester School of Art). The 2 main ones are fairly close to each other but a bus ride from the city centre. The School of Ocean and Earth Science is a bus ride again from the city centre, down on the docks. And the halls of residence were another bus
ride away! We just felt that most students would spend a lot of time on buses!

The geology dept is big, modern etc but we felt it was impersonal and not particuarly friendly.

The shopping centre is OK but outside this was a bit scruffy - litter and graffiti.

My son firmed Leeds - one campus, 10 mins walk to city centre, great dept, great course, great union, fantastic brand new sports centre (The Edge), a real buzz tto the place.

Southampton has a great reputation but my son didn't feel it was for him - he didn't even apply.

Hope that helps. It's obviously a personal choice, but I think if you end up at Southampton without visiting you may be disappointed.
Reply 931

Out of the unis that you applied to I have only visited/applied to Bristol and Southampton, but this is my opinion:

Firstly one factor is that 3 of the unis (Leeds, Bristol and Southampton) are Russel group Unis and would perhaps stereotypical be the more respected Unis by the majority of people.

In terms of location, it depends where you want to be. Southampton, in my opinion, is quite good location wise as it is on the coast, so a beach is only a short bus/train journey away. Also Southampton is close enough to London if you ever wanted to go and with megabus this journey can cost as little as £1. Bristol is also in a pretty decent location, again for beaches or other nearby cities. Obviously Aberdeen, is a bit more out of the way and I don't really know much about the other two cities.

I must point out that 'dadrock' is exaggerating a bit with the bus situation, as it would only be one bus journey from accommodation to the NOC (granted not a short one) and the good thing is that as students you get a free bus pass for the first year. As pointed out before, most lectures in the first year at Southampton won't be at the NOC and will be at the closer 'Highfield Campus' and the buses are very regular (as many as 5/6 an hour from Wessex Lane Accomodation, 2/3 from Glen Eyre). In contrast accommodation in Bristol is not particularly close to the department, yet buses are not free.

Southampton also has really good sport facilities (built quite recently) and the NOC is a fantastic department as it is jointly run with the national environmental research council, and has this year got a refurbished library specifically on Earth and Ocean Sciences. I found Southampton and in particular the NOC to be very friendly both when i visited on an Open day and when i went for Interview. The friendliness and passion shown is why i personally firmed Southampton over the likes of Durham and Bristol, where I thought staff just felt their reputation alone was enough for people to choose the uni.

Overall, however, if a campus uni is what you want then perhaps Southampton is not for you
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks for all the insight and help, it has been very useful to me. I think its either going to be leeds or leicester. The sandwich year really persuaded me as well as the campus feel. Hope all goes well in your exams and thanks for the help again :smile:
Reply 933
Anyone going to the Imperial accomodation day on 28th July? Or have you decided which halls to pick?
Reply 934
Thanks for all the insight and help, it has been very useful to me. I think its either going to be leeds or leicester. The sandwich year really persuaded me as well as the campus feel. Hope all goes well in your exams and thanks for the help again :smile:

I think you'll be happy with either. We found them similar, but Leeds is on a bigger scale. Leeds has the advantage of some excellent taught masters courses if you fancy staying on for another year.
Firmed Leicester last night with Leeds as insurance. So excited to start!!! Any other Leicester firmers out there?? :smile:
Reply 936
Hello lovely Geology and Earth Science applicants.
Congrats to all those getting your offers.
I am applying to Earth Science courses at clearing. I have all my UCAS done and its just a case of waiting to see what comes up but in the mean time I want to do some background reading and online research etc. Partly to get started early if I manage to get a place but mainly to add a bit of evidence of my interest in Earth Science into my Personal Statement. Any suggested sites? Books? You tube channels maybe?

Thanks for any help guys :smile:
Reply 937
Any fellow Birmingham firmers? So excited! :smile:

Literally cannot be bothered to read through 47 pages!
Reply 938
Any St.Andrews firmers?
Reply 939
Original post by rjwillshear
What would you guys think would be better for employability in the future, BSc Geology at Derby university or BSc Geological Hazards at Portsmouth. I know that Derby isn't ranked very highly for geology but other than Portsmouth I haven't found anywhere else that offers a Geological Hazards programme to compare it with

depends on what you want to do in the future, I'm hopefully going Derby to do geology :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending