The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ok ill type that question out : b) Acids also react with bases such as copper oxide.
Describe how a pure sample of copper sulfate crystals can be prepared from copper oxide.(3) :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by CharlieBoardman
Hello there! Long time no speak :biggrin: stick to one conversation in one thread! :tongue:

I shall :wink:
Original post by abccba120
ok ill type that question out : b) Acids also react with bases such as copper oxide.
Describe how a pure sample of copper sulfate crystals can be prepared from copper oxide.(3) :smile:

Hmmmm.... So:
Add sulphuric acid to copper oxide to produce copper sulfate and water. Then evaporate it to produce crystals?
Original post by shadab786ahmed
Hmmmm.... So:
Add sulphuric acid to copper oxide to produce copper sulfate and water. Then evaporate it to produce crystals?

To be honest i have no idea, in our class we tend to not learn much since there are some idiots in the class who just mess around every lesson so im forced to learn things my self, so if your confident thats the answer then ill learn it, but i honesly have no idea how you got that answer ^^
To be honest i have no idea, in our class we tend to not learn much since there are some idiots in the class who just mess around every lesson so im forced to learn things my self, so if your confident thats the answer then ill learn it, but i honesly have no idea how you got that answer ^^

That's correct. Evaporating the water leaves you solely with copper sulphate crystals :smile:
Anyone here be so kind and help me answer this pages questions ? :smile:chem.jpg question 9a is what im interested in :smile: thanks so much
(edited 11 years ago)

Base + Acid ---> Salt + Water eg
Copper Oxide + Nitric Acid ---> Copper Nitrate + Water

Metal Carbonate + Acid ---> Salt + Water + Carbon Dioxide
Sodium Carbonate + Sulphuric Acid ---> Sodium Sulphate + Water + Carbon Dioxide

Ammonia + Acid ---> Ammonium Salt + Water
Ammonia + Hydrochloric Acids ---> Ammonium Chloride and Water
I feel left out, my school does linear Maths; no exams this year :tongue:
Mine is linear too! :P but we do it early for the school's league points but they don't tell us that :wink:
Anyone here be so kind and help me answer this pages questions ? :smile:chem.jpg question 9a is what im interested in :smile: thanks so much

I haven't learnt this, but I think it's to do with precipitates... SoRry!

Edit: Actually! If you add an acid to it, the products will depend on what it is! If it produces carbon dioxide then it's sodium carbonate, if it's a hydroxide it'll produce just water (no CO2) if it's neither then it's chloride!
(edited 11 years ago)
I haven't learnt this, but I think it's to do with precipitates... SoRry!

Its okay thanks for your help though :smile:
Its okay thanks for your help though :smile:

Read my edit! :biggrin:
Read my edit! :biggrin:

Oh wow i didn't think of that, thank you you've been very helpful :smile:
Oh wow i didn't think of that, thank you you've been very helpful :smile:

Glad I could help, anything else, you can PM me :smile:
Okay so ive only got a few question which i dont get so im just going to put them out there if anyone wants to try them :smile: Question 5c is what im interested in and also the periodic table questgion i get most of it but im afraid i dont have enough content to say to obtain 6 marks.. i know that he left gaps , in order of atomic mass , and modern is proton number etc but is there any others or how do i approach this 6 mark question.. Chem periodic table.jpgChem other.jpg
5)c) because there's also a chain length in the molecules so the longer ones will need a higher temperature within each product and shorter chains need lower temperatures but still make the same product
Original post by MangoFreak
I feel left out, my school does linear Maths; no exams this year :tongue:

Me too. The majority of the subjects I do are linear so I'm pretty happy now but I'm stuffed for year 11 when I have all the demanding subjects such as geography, maths and Unit 3 exams all in one.
What exams has everyone done so far? And have to do after today?
Am I the only one actually starting an extra GCSE course in Year 11? I feel like I'm setting myself up for failure already.
Original post by -sunlight-
Am I the only one actually starting an extra GCSE course in Year 11? I feel like I'm setting myself up for failure already.

Depends what course :smile:

Latest