The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Original post by Dougieowner
Well done on the A*! I think I'm confident with most things - I've been getting at least 50/60 in each past paper; A's/A*'s. I can't wait until I get it over with, too! But I want to get the best grade possible in this exam as unit 2 and 3 are a lot harder and I don't want a bad grade by the end. From going through about 15 past papers in class, I've sort of got an idea on what's asked and I've been revising as I've been going through (the rules and methods have basically hammered into my head). Past papers are definitely the way forward for maths!

how do you get hold of 15 past papers i am not doing edexcel but i can never find more than like 3 on the exam boards website.
Original post by Dalek1099
I got A*(79/80 UMS) for unit 1,first time around and had to do functional rubbish till everyone caught up with 7 other people,mixture of As and A*s.Some people resat to get A*,because of their targets.In my school,you must rest if you don't get your target.

I think you have to resit if you don't get your target in my school, too. Though I was under-predicted by the computer generator so for me it's really easy to get above my target. I can get A*'s and A's in class, so I doubt I'll be getting C's and D's like predicted in the actual thing... :L
Reply 1782
Well done on the A*! I think I'm confident with most things - I've been getting at least 50/60 in each past paper; A's/A*'s. I can't wait until I get it over with, too! But I want to get the best grade possible in this exam as unit 2 and 3 are a lot harder and I don't want a bad grade by the end. From going through about 15 past papers in class, I've sort of got an idea on what's asked and I've been revising as I've been going through (the rules and methods have basically hammered into my head). Past papers are definitely the way forward for maths!

Thank you! You seem very prepared will all the revision and past papers, I think you'll do great. Good Luck :smile:
Reply 1783
Original post by non
how do you get hold of 15 past papers i am not doing edexcel but i can never find more than like 3 on the exam boards website.

This is because most of the past paper can only be accessed by people with a login. Ask you teachers and they can provide you will all the past papers as they have the logins for the exam board website.
Reply 1784
Been having some problems at school with mates and stuff, been so down lately which is why I'm not as active on here. :frown:
Original post by Jack59
Been having some problems at school with mates and stuff, been so down lately which is why I'm not as active on here. :frown:

Hope things aren't too bad :smile:
Original post by Jack59

:hugs: Hope things improve for you soon :smile:
Right, I think I've probably almost done revising for my maths exam. I don't want to confuse myself with the stuff I already know, so I'm not going over that in huge detail. I wish I could just do the exam now so it's over with. I'll be stressing until the end of the day. I wish the exam could be in the morning so it just gets done...
Maths exam is done and it was really easy! :biggrin:

I'm hoping for an A and I think I probably got it. Though I shouldn't get too sure of myself until I get the results. :rolleyes:

For my Spanish speaking I got my results back today, too! I got 20/20 A* which SHOCKED me. I was blank for a few seconds in the exam and forgot a bit so just started making it up. It seems like that wasn't really obvious to my teacher. I'm so, so happy that I got that grade/score. I think doing well on the coursework really helps you get a high grade by the end as I think the coursework is a lot easier than the exams, especially the listening exam which I'm dreading. At least it's not until Year 11! xD
Reply 1789
Original post by MangoFreak
All I said was 0.99... = 1 :frown:

How did you argue that this statement is correct?
Reply 1790
Original post by Mahii

just type it into youtube it's a famous maths paradox.
Original post by non

It's not even a paradox, really. It's just true. Two numbers are different if you can put a number between them, but there is no number between 1 and 0.99...
Original post by Mahii

if 1/3 = 0.33... and 3(1/3) = 1 then therefore 3(0.33...) = 1

0.33... also = 0.99... therefore 0.99... = 1
Japanese is the coolest :ahee:
Original post by MangoFreak
Japanese is the coolest :ahee:

I love Japanese! Their language and culture is so unique and amazing. I really need to get back into my Japanese learning using the book I got for Christmas. I got to the tricky parts and then kept thinking "I'll go back to it tomorrow". Turns out I never did. It's certainly a hard language, but I'm still going to try learning it. After all, a challenge is good! :biggrin:
I love Japanese! Their language and culture is so unique and amazing. I really need to get back into my Japanese learning using the book I got for Christmas. I got to the tricky parts and then kept thinking "I'll go back to it tomorrow". Turns out I never did. It's certainly a hard language, but I'm still going to try learning it. After all, a challenge is good! :biggrin:

What book did you get? Is it good? I've just been using the internet, learning grammar from wikipedia :tongue: but it's hard to find a site that has everything I need, so I have to link stuff from different websites together.

All I know is 私は日本語を学ぶ and こんにちは(obviously :tongue:)

I took me like 15 minutes to type that into Google Transliterate :colonhash:
Original post by non

Actually, it's not a paradox; it's a fact:

x=0.99999.....[br]100x=99.999999....[br]100xx=99.9999999.....x[br]99x=99[br]x=1x=0.99999.....[br]100x=99.999999....[br]100x-x=99.9999999.....-x[br]99x=99[br]x=1

So, 0.9˙=10.\dot{9}=1

Make sense? :tongue:
Original post by usycool1

x=0.99999.....[br]100x=99.999999....[br]100xx=99.9999999.....x[br]99x=99[br]x=1x=0.99999.....[br]100x=99.999999....[br]100x-x=99.9999999.....-x[br]99x=99[br]x=1

So, 0.9˙=10.\dot{9}=1

My friends decided to prove me wrong by saying that 1/3 doesn't exist in their world :tongue: :colonhash: I showed them this proof and they came around.
Reply 1798
Original post by usycool1

So, 0.9˙=10.\dot{9}=1

Thanks for this!:biggrin:
So glad there's a Year 10 thread XD
I'm doing German, French (double languages, what a silly idea), Drama, Geography and History, as well as triple science, eng lit, eng lang, RE, maths and statistics....i've got a fun two years in front of me:wink:

Personally, i'm really buzzing for the future (college, uni etc), what about you guys? :smile:

Latest