The Student Room Group

BTEC or A-Levels? (Reply pl0x deadline is tomorrow).

3 A-Levels, Chemistry, biology and (Physics or Maths which do you think better).

OR

BTEC Games Development Level 3 (With A-Levels on Chemistry, maths or Biology).

Which one do you think would give me the best chance to get in Uni?

Also, is it easier to get D*D*D* in BTEC than A*A*A* (Or whatever is equivalent) in A-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What do you want to do/study in uni?
Reply 2
Original post by eve1293
What do you want to do/study in uni?

Whoops, forgot to add: Computer Science.
Games development is a dead industry. Loads of people are interested in it, but in the UK there are so few places that do it most developers are unemployed. Furthermore, it's widely known to be a pretty shocking job even if you're at a top studio.

BTECs are not recognised by most good universities - do A-levels, they'll prepare you better.

For computer science, you basically want Maths, and any other couple (most people seem to do Physics and FM, since lots of universities also like Further Maths). BTECs are too vocational - they don't prepare you at all for a lot of the theory.

Having said that, I'm not sure what sort of uni you'd be applying for...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
I'd definitely choose Maths over Physics and I agree with Bakes0011, do A levels.

Games development is related to Computer science but it's too narrow and vocational. To get the best overall skills and knowledge A levels are better.
Why not Maths, Computing and Chemistry/Biology (or both if possible). Computing seems more relevant? Although I have to admit I'm not too clued up on Computer Science, all I know is my boyfriend wanted to do it and chose Physics, Maths, Computing and Chemistry.
alevels i assume are harder, and more reputable, and are used to get into unversity

i would suggest a levels, especially in the IT industry
Reply 6
A levels without a doubt. and definitely Maths over Physics for computer science.
Reply 7
Considering that computer science is mostly about maths and logic, I'd strongly recommend that you at least do maths - and further maths if at all possible. If you want to follow an academic route, BTECs aren't generally the best thing to get you there; they're more useful for vocational subjects.

(My girlfriend's off to do Computer Science at Edinburgh with Maths, Further Maths and French, if that's any use for comparison - although obviously applicant profiles vary a lot.)
Reply 8
Take the A Levels!

As for your title..
Reply 9
Judging by your title. do BTEC
what everyone has said here

but really it depends how smart/hard you work, what where your gcse's

have you done any research about your course??
i doubt unis want biology and chemistry for it

depending on what calibre student you are, i would suggest alevels, btec and alevels arent and never will be the same, but always the focus is, are you aiming for top 5 unis or top 10 ?, a huge difference in just that
(edited 12 years ago)
A levels definately. They will give you better options for the future.
Reply 12
I've just got into a top 10 University studying Computer Science from a BTEC IT course, so don't think by any means it's a lesser qualification or not as highly rated, and whoever posted it above; load of rubbish.

Maths is not essential (as per my entry), though one of my units was Maths for IT which I think was introduced for compulsory reasons (not entirely certain), though it would be advisable to be fairly competent in Maths anyway.

Then again, most Computer Science courses are open to those with no previous computing experience, so that could open up you to do different A-Level options, although it's a subject that would be beneficial to have knowledge of before going to Uni.
Reply 13
Original post by Bakes0011
Games development is a dead industry. Loads of people are interested in it, but in the UK there are so few places that do it most developers are unemployed. Furthermore, it's widely known to be a pretty shocking job even if you're at a top studio.

BTECs are not recognised by most good universities - do A-levels, they'll prepare you better.

For computer science, you basically want Maths, and any other couple (most people seem to do Physics and FM, since lots of universities also like Further Maths). BTECs are too vocational - they don't prepare you at all for a lot of the theory.

Having said that, I'm not sure what sort of uni you'd be applying for...

I'm looking to apply mid-range to top end Unis in London and West Midlands only. Most of them accept BTECs. Actually, I am not looking to become a games developer but software engineer, tutor recommended Games Development over Software development since it has some extra units than Software development currently has. Thanks for input.

Original post by eve1293
I'd definitely choose Maths over Physics and I agree with Bakes0011, do A levels.

Games development is related to Computer science but it's too narrow and vocational. To get the best overall skills and knowledge A levels are better.
Why not Maths, Computing and Chemistry/Biology (or both if possible). Computing seems more relevant? Although I have to admit I'm not too clued up on Computer Science, all I know is my boyfriend wanted to do it and chose Physics, Maths, Computing and Chemistry.

There is no computing. Subjects in my OP are the only choices I have.

Original post by Jonesdawiz
Take the A Levels!

As for your title..

How did you know I was Runescape lover? You must be reading my mind. :tongue:

Original post by Tateco
Judging by your title. do BTEC

Way to judge people based on their English, perhaps you forgot to take "fun" into account?

Original post by Andamiriel
what everyone has said here

but really it depends how smart/hard you work, what where your gcse's

have you done any research about your course??
i doubt unis want biology and chemistry for it

No, I haven't done any research other than Games Development. Although, on my GCSES, I got B in Maths, A* in core science and additional science. I put more than 5x effort in maths just to get B than I put into Science.

Surely, you haven't taken "BTEC + A-Levels" into account? It would be better than A-Levels since it is worth 4 A-Levels by end of second year. Also it shows you are suited to both coursework and exams.
Reply 14
Original post by Rtcw

How did you know I was Runescape lover? You must be reading my mind. :tongue:

It became apparent with 'Pl0x' in your title :wink: How can you still play it? Bots and shizz :/ I only forum nowdays.
Reply 15
I'd be doing maths and physics and dropping either biology or chem.

A levels are still the most obvious and straightforward route into uni imo.
Reply 16
Original post by Jonesdawiz
It became apparent with 'Pl0x' in your title :wink: How can you still play it? Bots and shizz :/ I only forum nowdays.

I don't do anything runescape related nowadays, but I plan to set up a botting farm. Which has earned me 10 mil within 1 month on Q1 of this year.
Original post by Joinedup
I'd be doing maths and physics and dropping either biology or chem.

A levels are still the most obvious and straightforward route into uni imo.

Do I have to do physics? According to science grades, I got A in physics instead of A* in modular science, which is not too good IMO.
Reply 17
A Levels, most Universities have 'black lists' and prospective students that do BTECs and other courses that aren't A Levels probably won't get in...
Reply 18
I don't do anything runescape related nowadays, but I plan to set up a botting farm. Which has earned me 10 mil within 1 month on Q1 of this year.
/QUOTE]

10m isn't much lol :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by CLARA_
A Levels, most Universities have 'black lists' and prospective students that do BTECs and other courses that aren't A Levels probably won't get in...

What a load of pure garbage.
Based off what? Stereotyping?

Quick Reply

Latest