The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi there

I have been considering Oxford on an off for a while and as the deadline for applications is rapidly moving toward us I thought I would seek a wider opinion. I managed to get 5 A's in my AS and so (hopefully) getting the grades to be considered worthy of an Oxford place shouldn't be too much of a stretch of the imagination. My problem comes in a more 'mental' capacity. I have not been formally diagnosed with anything but I do suffer very badly with anxiety. pressure and stress are my kriptonite. When I started my AS levels I hated it as I found it so much of a step up from GCSEs and I was in a very dark place in those initial months (and intermittently on the run up to exams) as a result. I know that Oxford is a hard core environment and thus you have to be really tough mentally to get in and was wondering if anyone of you guys know of people or are in a similar situation?

I also fear that I am applying to Oxford because it's Oxford (ie living in a Muggle Hogwarts and going to join the polo society) rather than it being an amazing course and genuinely wishing to be there for the academia. I worry that my "Oxford Goggles" are clouding my judgement.

Sorry for the ramble like nature of the post, I hope you can undertand my conundrum!
Original post by A.Van-Ellison
Hi there

I have been considering Oxford on an off for a while and as the deadline for applications is rapidly moving toward us I thought I would seek a wider opinion. I managed to get 5 A's in my AS and so (hopefully) getting the grades to be considered worthy of an Oxford place shouldn't be too much of a stretch of the imagination. My problem comes in a more 'mental' capacity. I have not been formally diagnosed with anything but I do suffer very badly with anxiety. pressure and stress are my kriptonite. When I started my AS levels I hated it as I found it so much of a step up from GCSEs and I was in a very dark place in those initial months (and intermittently on the run up to exams) as a result. I know that Oxford is a hard core environment and thus you have to be really tough mentally to get in and was wondering if anyone of you guys know of people or are in a similar situation?

I also fear that I am applying to Oxford because it's Oxford (ie living in a Muggle Hogwarts and going to join the polo society) rather than it being an amazing course and genuinely wishing to be there for the academia. I worry that my "Oxford Goggles" are clouding my judgement.

Sorry for the ramble like nature of the post, I hope you can undertand my conundrum!

I dropped out of university when I went from school due to depression and anxiety. The enviroment can be a particularly stressful one, and I foud it hard. I would say though, there is support if you need it.

In terms of why you want to apply, only you can say. Its perfectly reasonable to want to go to a university that looks nice and offers societies that interest you, as well as offering a course that interests you academicaly. The thing is though, that these things are really just extras, and when the going gets tough will not be any help at all, and it almost certainly will at Oxford. You also have to think about how the teaching is done at Oxford. If that doesnt sound like you, then another university may be ideal. Thats not to say you arent "smart" enough, but we all learn differently.
Original post by A.Van-Ellison
Hi there

Down-side: you'll absolutely hate exam time at Oxford in particular - that very dark place from AS-levels would be likely to recur if you didn't somehow improve your resilience. That said, this isn't unique to Oxford - exam time anywhere would probably be tough without some improvement in your response to stress. The week-by-week pressure of getting the tutorial work in during term wouldn't be at all easy either and that is unique to Oxford/Cambridge.

Up-side: You would have help and support as well as a weight of expectation at Oxford. If you were struggling, it wouldn't go unnoticed for long and tutors' first instinct (as long as they're convinced you're working hard enough) is to be supportive. At another University, you could sink without trace without anyone noticing until it was too late to recover academically.

It may feel like it's entirely beyond your control but strengthening your resilience could be achievable, although it's unlikely to be easy or quick. You should probably take active steps to try to address your response to pressure and stress if it's causing you problems - that would be beneficial whatever you do next and could be helpful for A2s as well. The first step might be to speak to your GP or to a welfare contact at your school/college - you don't have to take any medication you don't want to but they may be able to recommend some form of talking therapy that might help you develop coping strategies and habits of thinking to combat stress.

Bottom line: It's up to you what your priorities are and that will drive your university choices - it doesn't make much sense to choose Oxford for the name or some perception of glamour or prestige but if you think that the close personal attention and tailored education you get from tutorial teaching and the habits of rigorous thinking and analysis that the experience develops would be beneficial to you and you want that and you will be able to deal with the pressure and stress (it isn't easy for anyone), go for it.
Original post by AnonymousCat
I got my AS results the other day:
A A C C D
As I was truly shocked by my results, I want to get remarks and I might resit some of my Further Maths modules
Is it worth me applying to Oxford for Modern Languages and Linguistics (nb I got an A in a language)? The entry requirements are AAA - would A*A*B predicted grades be alright or not?

Signing off,
Confused.

My friend had an A*AA offer from Cambridge. He ended up getting two As and was one UMS off an A* in his third subject and got rejected. They want AAA and I highly doubt you'd be accepted if you got A*A*B. You didn't meet your offer. However, if you really stand out from the crowd there is a tiny chance they may think about giving you the place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gman10
You're deluded, you are hearing what you want to hear and not listening to the people who say it is really unlikely you will get into a RG uni. You have two a-levels at best. The lack of an additional AS, which I am sure all other people at RG unis have, really is the tipping point.

I have reason to believe that I am not deluded. It seems likely that I will get into a RG uni, just not Oxbridge. I have sent off my full details to multiple admissions and have received two replies so far that are from RG unis (Glasgow and Southampton), both which have the said that they would be very likely to give me an offer. The main concerns they have expressed, however, are with regards to me having two years out before starting my course.
Original post by fbrep2012
tbh don't bother with Oxford, people will be applying to them with at least 4 solid a level grades from strong subjects in the region of A*-A's... i'm sure you could find some other RG uni's that would consider you though.

Yeah I agree, Oxford was really just an idea to consider if it was worth applying at all.
Original post by RonnieRJ
Well Im not sure but I think you can only defer your entry by one year? Dont fully quote me on that but it seems unlikely you could apply two years in advance. That way youll be writing your personal statement while you do whatever youre doing, so I think youll have to wait till next year and do the one year deferred entry :smile:
And as for references, youll be applying as an individual. Contact your old tutor and ask them if they could do your reference for you, and you also need a buzzword from the college/sixth form. Then when youre on ucas, youll have the menu on the left, and if you click on 'options' you can then click on 'request a reference' and then put the buzzword in. And whenever your reference is finished, the box next to the reference page will be ticket :smile: So you can only get your reference while youre actually applying, not in advance :smile:

I think you're right, most universities wouldn't offer to defer a place by two years. If I apply this year, and defer a year I would be starting in September 2017, the same as if I apply next year and don't defer.

Thanks for the information about references! :smile:
Original post by nxn_leon123
I think you're right, most universities wouldn't offer to defer a place by two years. If I apply this year, and defer a year I would be starting in September 2017, the same as if I apply next year and don't defer.

Thanks for the information about references! :smile:

Yeah exactly right, so it's up to you really whether you're ready to apply this year or not, and you should definitely consider only doing a gap year rather than two, as universities won't mind it as much! :smile:
Original post by AnonymousCat
I got my AS results the other day:
A A C C D
As I was truly shocked by my results, I want to get remarks and I might resit some of my Further Maths modules
Is it worth me applying to Oxford for Modern Languages and Linguistics (nb I got an A in a language)? The entry requirements are AAA - would A*A*B predicted grades be alright or not?

Signing off,
Confused.
There's not much point applying if your teachers don't think you can get AAA.
I applied with AACC and got an interview so it certainly is possible.
I wouldn't but you can try. You won't lose out on anything for trying.
I'm applying to Oxford in September. My GCSE's are 10 A* and an A (top scholar at my school) and my AS results are AAAA (Maths, chemistry, physics and product design)
I've done various super curricular like masterclasses and lectures and things and I have also just completed a Nuffield research placement which I hope to get a Gold Crest Award for. Another thing I've been advised to put on my statement is that I taught myself one of my GCSE's (and no, it wasn't the lone A).
I'm applying for material science and I am so nervous for the PAT test in November, does anyone have any tips on how to prepare?

Thanks for your time :biggrin:
Reply 5992
I did a lot better than expected in my AS levels and ended up getting ABBB. I know this possibly isn't quite up to the Oxford standard, however in the subjects which i got B's in i was only 2 UMS points away from an A grade in two and and 5 in one (which i've now dropped), so I'll definitely be able to make this up next year and get the A's. The course which I want to apply for is Law (Jurisprudence) as law is something i genuinely enjoy. Additionally, i have a tonne of stuff related to law which will be going into my personal statement such as moots, debating workshops, advocacy competitions, guest lectures, law taster days, a summer job in a law firm etc.

So my main question is this; despite my grades perhaps not being up to scratch, do you think that my enthusiasm for my subject and personal statement could perhaps at least give me a shot at a place or would this be a completely wasted choice for such a competitive course?

Thanks in advance. :smile:
Original post by Orangemonkey1
I'm applying to Oxford in September. My GCSE's are 10 A* and an A (top scholar at my school) and my AS results are AAAA (Maths, chemistry, physics and product design)
I've done various super curricular like masterclasses and lectures and things and I have also just completed a Nuffield research placement which I hope to get a Gold Crest Award for. Another thing I've been advised to put on my statement is that I taught myself one of my GCSE's (and no, it wasn't the lone A).
I'm applying for material science and I am so nervous for the PAT test in November, does anyone have any tips on how to prepare?

Thanks for your time :biggrin:

No offence but do you really think that you should have posted this in this thread??
Not sure about Oxford, but a friend got into Cambridge Law with AABB/AAAB in AS, but she did do a lot of amazing extra curricular activities and smacked her A2.
Are you planning on getting any remarks done?

A good LNAT score might offset your AS results (which are not bad but are, as you acknowledge, lower than normal for an Oxbridge applicant).

@mishieru07 is a lawyer, IIRC, and can advise more :yes:
Original post by Moonstruck16
No offence but do you really think that you should have posted this in this thread??

Sorry, just seemed like there were some knowledgable people with valuable experience on this thead, I didn't mean to tread on any toes...
Reply 5997
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Are you planning on getting any remarks done?

A good LNAT score might offset your AS results (which are not bad but are, as you acknowledge, lower than normal for an Oxbridge applicant).

@mishieru07 is a lawyer, IIRC, and can advise more :yes:

Thanks for the help :smile:

I'm on the Pathways to Law scheme as well and we've been learning how to do well in the LNAT so, fingers crossed, i'll do fairly well. As for remarks i'm not sure, i may get my English coursework remarked since my teacher predicted me a B in it but it came back as a C but i'll wait and see what she advises when i go back.
Original post by Orangemonkey1
Sorry, just seemed like there were some knowledgable people with valuable experience on this thead, I didn't mean to tread on any toes...

Those knowledgeable people will still answer you on your own thread. It just kinda seemed that you posted all of your stuff without thinking about how the OP would feel cosidering that they got AABB and you got AAAA and have a load of good extracurriculars.
Original post by Moonstruck16
Those knowledgeable people will still answer you on your own thread. It just kinda seemed that you posted all of your stuff without thinking about how the OP would feel cosidering that they got AABB and you got AAAA and have a load of good extracurriculars.

Point taken...sorry everyone...

Latest

Trending

Trending