The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by najinaji

Original post by najinaji
Your A Levels, interview and score on any aptitude tests are the most important things to be honest. It depends on all sorts of things. People with straight-A* GCSEs and A Levels have been rejected from Oxbridge and people with very average GCSEs and fairly good A Levels have been accepted.

Oxbridge basically want to know if you're passionate about your subject and if you excel at it. If you can meet those criteria, they'll probably accept you.

:ditto:

One thing I would add is that it's worth considering another essay-based subject for A Level, such as English (Literature or combined) or History. At Oxford there is relatively heavy emphasis on literature and associated techniques for essay-writing (in the first year, at least), so you may be disadvantaged at the admissions stage, or struggle later, with just the French A Level.

Good luck! It's a great course, and definitely worth applying :smile:
Original post by amirlad
Is there any way of finding out the mean proportion of A* grades for successful candidates in other degrees?

Mmm probably not seeing as GCSEs for other subjects don't seem as important as for Medicine - which means it probably isn't a very useful statistic...
Original post by laura111294
I'm in year 12 at the moment and did my GCSEs last year.
My results are:
Maths: A*
English Language: A
English Literature: A
Biology: A
Chemistry: A
Physics: A
Geography: B
History: A*
French: A*
Religious Studies: A
Sociology: A*

Overall: 4A*s, 6As and 1B.
I also play the flute and piano - have obtained a distinction in Grade 5 practical examination for the flute.
For my A Levels I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and French and hope to carry on with all 4 next year.
Based on my GCSE grades do you think they will reject me?
For my A Levels I'm aiming to get at least all As, but I guess that's easier said than done, right?
Thanks!

Your GCSEs are fine - my friend got the same number of A*s and he is currently doing very well in French at Oxford.

The musical stuff won't play a role in getting an offer...

Mmm your A level choices are probably quite different to the average applicant, but as long as your essay writing skills are still up to scratch and you have a passion for literature then you have a chance. Bear in mind the degree is very literature heavy...
Reply 783
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
Mmm probably not seeing as GCSEs for other subjects don't seem as important as for Medicine - which means it probably isn't a very useful statistic...

by jingo i hope you're right
Reply 784
Original post by Poppyxx
I hate it when I hear of careers tutors putting people off Oxford, when in fact they have a shot.

Your GCSEs are fine. They are good.

Your A Levels are strong.

How's your maths?

They won't care about your extra-curriculars on face value, but what you have learnt through them will be invaluable in an interview. The ability to articulate yourself under pressure is vital; debating and mock trial are great for developing this skill.

My maths is... Above average... Lol. I'm to the level of a GCSE A at least, but I've checked and the maths that's relevant (stats, differentiation, etc.) is all fine... It's more things like long algebra and vectors etc. That catch me out. I've uni level textbook on maths for economists that I'm working through as well: I don't have the qualification, but I can show the relevant skills. Also, I spoke to a tutor from St annes, and she said with my a levels I don't seem to be "dodging" maths as such, just choosing other subjects by preference, not ease.
Believe in yourself. You have great results!
I'm a Canadian student studying in the province of Ontario applying to Law... Can anyone shed some light on my competitiveness, as an international student?

Last year I had a 89.6% average. I already completed four "4U" courses last year, with a 92.8% average. I expect my top six "4U" courses to have a 93-94% average.

I will have my OSSD in June.

I wrote LNAT. I don't have my score, but scored 25-30 on the practice tests provided on the LNAT website.

I also submitted a horrible SAT score. However, Oxford does not require this from Canadian students.
Reply 787
I've applied to Oxford on a bit of a punt really! I had space for another uni and really liked the look of Oxford and thought 'Why not?' - I know this probably isn't the best way to choose Oxford, but I think that way, I'll be delighted if I do get an offer and if I don't, it won't be unexpected.

I'm studying Law, English Language and History currently and am predicted A*AA. I got AAABB last year (and dropped the BB subjects). I'm worried my GCSE grades might hold me back, as they're a little hit and miss, certainly compared to everyone else! I was pleased with them at the time, but I'm not so sure they'll be enough now: A*A*A*AAAABBC.

But, as I say, I've applied there on a bit of a whim (although I reckon if I do get an interview, it's best to leave that out :P), so I'm not expecting to get an offer.
Reply 788
I am sure questions like these are ridiculously overasked, so I'm sorry but here's another. If this is in the wrong section could someone please move it? Thank you!
Ok, I'm in year 12 and looking at a ppe degree at Oxford. I wanted to know if I am good enough to be setting this as my target?
I only got 6A*s, 5As and 1 B at gcse (although this included 100% in my maths and English literature gcses.) will these results disadvantage me at all?
Regarding A levels, I am currently doing 5 (maths, further maths, economics, English lit and physics). I am predicted 5As at AS.I don't do history at a level - will that be a disadvantage? I am bEing advised by my teachers to drop a subjet after as, not because I am not capable but because apparently universities prefer extras such as extended project or yass, rather than the five subjects? Is that true? Which subject should I drop?
Regarding extra curricular, I have done d of e bronZe and silver and am doing gold. I have done many debating competitions as well as being editor on the school newspaper and the school magazine. However I have virtually no music and no sport at all - will that be a disadvantage?
Thanks so much for any help in advance! I know I am probably sounding like a broken record as many others make similar posts to me, but advice from my school is a little lacking and just wanted some other opinions.
Original post by Spam1859
I am sure questions like these are ridiculously overasked, so I'm sorry but here's another. If this is in the wrong section could someone please move it? Thank you!
Ok, I'm in year 12 and looking at a ppe degree at Oxford. I wanted to know if I am good enough to be setting this as my target?
I only got 6A*s, 5As and 1 B at gcse (although this included 100% in my maths and English literature gcses.) will these results disadvantage me at all?
Regarding A levels, I am currently doing 5 (maths, further maths, economics, English lit and physics). I am predicted 5As at AS.I don't do history at a level - will that be a disadvantage? I am bEing advised by my teachers to drop a subjet after as, not because I am not capable but because apparently universities prefer extras such as extended project or yass, rather than the five subjects? Is that true? Which subject should I drop?
Regarding extra curricular, I have done d of e bronZe and silver and am doing gold. I have done many debating competitions as well as being editor on the school newspaper and the school magazine. However I have virtually no music and no sport at all - will that be a disadvantage?
Thanks so much for any help in advance! I know I am probably sounding like a broken record as many others make similar posts to me, but advice from my school is a little lacking and just wanted some other opinions.

Yes, you can definitely work towards getting a place at Oxford. Just make sure you work hard to get good AS results and great predicted grades and when the time comes, write a great PS.

Also, make sure you read books outside the curriculum that are related to the degree you want to study. This will be of great help for both PS and interview.
You have more of a chance than me and I am sitting the TSA in a few days.
Your grades are fair, pretty much middle of the pack for PPE applicants if not a little better. That puts you in with a chance. In terms of what to do otherwise, do a lot of reading around the subject. It's very unlikely that anything specific you look at will come up in interview, and even if it does it is unlikely to help much (they will often just skip over questions that it's clear you already know), but understanding the framework within which each discipline operates will be very useful. The more reading you do (of more academic books, not pop-sci like The Undercover Economist, though that sort of thing is good for a very basic intro), the easier you'll find it to 'think like an economist/political scientist/philosopher' in interview. That's what they are looking for, along with the capability to learn well from a tutorial structure.

I think these are good results :biggrin: If you go look at the Oxford current applicants page you can compare. Link Also btw, Oxford and many universities will look at your GCSE's in context to your school so don't be disheartened, did peers get the same as you?

"Regarding A levels, I am currently doing 5 (maths, further maths, economics, English lit and physics). I am predicted 5As at AS.I don't do history at a level - will that be a disadvantage? I am bEing advised by my teachers to drop a subjet after as, not because I am not capable but because apparently universities prefer extras such as extended project or yass, rather than the five subjects? Is that true? Which subject should I drop?"

I've never heard that Universities prefer extended projects or YASS more but I have heard that most Universities won't give preference to a person with 5 A2's because they know that not all people have the option to do 5. I only got the option to do 3 +General Studies V.V! Not sure which subject you should drop, the one least related to PPE I guess but there are all sorts of ways that subjects link.

"Regarding extra curricular, I have done d of e bronze and silver and am doing gold. I have done many debating competitions as well as being editor on the school newspaper and the school magazine. However I have virtually no music and no sport at all - will that be a disadvantage?"

That is really great and although they say they like you to be well rounded, Oxbridge really do focus much more on the academics of an applicant. (They told me this when I went to summer school there.)

All in all, I think you have a good chance of getting in and should definitely apply. Sorry, I didn't know how to multiquote you properly.. hope this is clear. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm not sure, but I received 2A*s and the rest Bs, but have received all As at AS and I'm predicted A*A*A*A* at A-level. I'm studying Government & Politics, French, History and English Literature. I've received 38 on my LNAT (my school held practice exams) but I'm not sure if my GCSEs will hold me back. Thanks.
Reply 794

Your grades are good, perhaps slightly above average GCSEs for PPE applicants. Your subjects are good for PPE - not having History isn't really a problem as you have English Lit for essay writing. Maths and Further Maths is great.

Oxford do not admit based on extra-curricular activities, except to the extent that they act as a signal for motivation to study your subject (as academic ability, and motivation, are the sole entrance criteria). Some people argue they can also have a positive effect due to signalling "time management", but it's unlikely to be much of a game changer! It is therefore no disadvantage that you have no music and sport. DofE is also irrelevant.

If I were you I would keep Maths, Further Maths, and English Lit. I would choose between Economics and Physics based on enjoyment and what you think you can get the best grade in. You also might want to consider that it may "look bad" to drop Economics. However, I dropped Politics AS after first year and I never got the impression they cared about that (although it still could have been a negative mark on my application for all I know!).
Original post by Payson.Keeler.
I'm not sure, but I received 2A*s and the rest Bs, but have received all As at AS and I'm predicted A*A*A*A* at A-level. I'm studying Government & Politics, French, History and English Literature. I've received 38 on my LNAT (my school held practice exams) but I'm not sure if my GCSEs will hold me back. Thanks.

Have you thought about Cambridge? They look more at AS levels as they require all your module marks, as you got all As I'm sure they'd look upon that more favourably. An Oxford admissions tutor told me themselves that they weight AS levels much less than GCSEs as many schools don't actually cash them in...
So I'd say consider Cambridge as I think you'd have a better chance there.... If not, go for it anyway. You're obviously very competent and they'll like how you've improved and fully embraced the AS course.
Original post by Jockie
I've applied to Oxford on a bit of a punt really! I had space for another uni and really liked the look of Oxford and thought 'Why not?' - I know this probably isn't the best way to choose Oxford, but I think that way, I'll be delighted if I do get an offer and if I don't, it won't be unexpected.

I'm studying Law, English Language and History currently and am predicted A*AA. I got AAABB last year (and dropped the BB subjects). I'm worried my GCSE grades might hold me back, as they're a little hit and miss, certainly compared to everyone else! I was pleased with them at the time, but I'm not so sure they'll be enough now: A*A*A*AAAABBC.

But, as I say, I've applied there on a bit of a whim (although I reckon if I do get an interview, it's best to leave that out :P), so I'm not expecting to get an offer.

Your GCSEs aren't bad, and your predicted grades are good so you never know, you may very well get an interview and if you own that you have a great chance. What subject? Does it require an admissions test?
Reply 797
Original post by mementomori
Your GCSEs aren't bad, and your predicted grades are good so you never know, you may very well get an interview and if you own that you have a great chance. What subject? Does it require an admissions test?

Thanks. :smile: I'm applying for Law and did the LNAT just over a month ago.
Original post by Jockie
Thanks. :smile: I'm applying for Law and did the LNAT just over a month ago.

Oh I see. Well if you did well in that then I'm sure you have a good chance. Good luck :smile:
Reply 799
I applied to study PPE at Oxford, at Lady Margaret's Hall, I got 2A*s, 3As, 5Bs at GCSE. 3As and a B at AS. And I am predicted 2A*s and an A at A2.
I also have a relatively strong PS and reference. What do you think my chances are of interview. Any response would be much appreciated!
:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending