The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JordieC

Original post by JordieC
Hi, I'm looking to study chemistry at oxford, but I'm not sure if these GCSEs are good enough:
Chemistry - A*
Biology - A*
Physics - A*
Maths 1 - A*
Maths 2 - A*
English 1 - B
English 2 - B
French - A
German - C
History - A*
D.T. - B

Can someone let me know if these are good enough, thanks

Well I'm not sure I'm not sure, the only people I've heard that have got in for chemistry at Oxford have all got at least 7 A*s, even then 8 or more would probably be ideal. I would encourage you to apply though. :smile: :smile: good luck!!
Original post by TobiasWalker
Well I'm not sure I'm not sure, the only people I've heard that have got in for chemistry at Oxford have all got at least 7 A*s, even then 8 or more would probably be ideal. I would encourage you to apply though. :smile: :smile: good luck!!

I was thinking of doing Chemistry.
I have 10A*s, 2As, a few random qualifications and an AS in French (got an A).

I'm doing Maths., Further Maths., Biology, Chemistry and History Pre-U.

What are the lowest grades I could get in the four (excl. History Pre-U) but still stand a chance of getting in? (Referring to AS levels here by the way)

It's not that I'm aiming low, I'd ideally like 3As for AS (Further Maths. is done next year, and History's a 2-year course) but if I didn't get 3 As, what's the next-lowest I could get?

I know it also depends on your PS and interview etc. (if you get one) but still. :smile:

Thanks. :smile:
Original post by loopy786
I was thinking of doing Chemistry.
I have 10A*s, 2As, a few random qualifications and an AS in French (got an A).

I'm doing Maths., Further Maths., Biology, Chemistry and History Pre-U.

What are the lowest grades I could get in the four (excl. History Pre-U) but still stand a chance of getting in? (Referring to AS levels here by the way)

It's not that I'm aiming low, I'd ideally like 3As for AS (Further Maths. is done next year, and History's a 2-year course) but if I didn't get 3 As, what's the next-lowest I could get?

I know it also depends on your PS and interview etc. (if you get one) but still. :smile:

Thanks. :smile:

You need to be predicted and achieve A*AA at A level, with the A* in any science or maths subject. So you really need AABB as an absolute minimum if you can persuade the school to predict an A in one of the B subjects and a relatively high UMS in at least one subject.

EDIT: Didn't notice you already have French, AABBish then.
Original post by Norbertnorbert
You need to be predicted and achieve A*AA at A level, with the A* in any science or maths subject. So you really need AABB as an absolute minimum if you can persuade the school to predict an A in one of the B subjects and a relatively high UMS in at least one subject.

EDIT: Didn't notice you already have French, AABBish then.

Okay, thanks. :smile:
I think I can get all As at AS level, but I was just worried about what would happen if I got a B in Biology because I have a feeling I failed the practical.
Reply 1184
Is there a minimum amount of A*s that you need in GCSE to be eligible for an interview at Oxford for PPE ? I am in Upper Sixth and I am planning on apply to Oxford next fall ... My GCSEs aren't stellar (5A*) but I got 4 high As in AS (above 90% in every single module) - Is that something which Oxford will take into account ?
Original post by J.Darren
Is there a minimum amount of A*s that you need in GCSE to be eligible for an interview at Oxford for PPE ? I am in Upper Sixth and I am planning on apply to Oxford next fall ... My GCSEs aren't stellar (5A*) but I got 4 high As in AS (above 90% in every single module) - Is that something which Oxford will take into account ?

I'm afraid I don't know whether there is a minimum number of A*s needed for an interview, but I doubt it. They look at your whole application, including AS levels, TSA score, GCSEs and your personal statement before deciding who to interview. Plus, even if there was, I would imagine 5A* would be enough.

As far as the high As go, Oxford will not know they are high As unless you tell them. They only see the grade letter on your application. However, I was in a similiar situtation to you and when I asked at the open day, they said you should put your UMS scores down in either your personal statement or your teacher's reference if you think they are good. He said they would then take them into consideration. Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 1186
Original post by TobiasWalker

I know someone currently doing great studying Chemistry at Oxford who got 3 A* at GCSE (several A grades though) but both English were B grades, like the poster asking about this. Did a good interview and got great A levels in excess of offer so the GCSEs are long forgotten now.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Lizzy12

Original post by Lizzy12
I know someone currently doing great studying Chemistry at Oxford who got 3 A* at GCSE (several A grades though) but both English were B grades, like the poster asking about this. Did a good interview and got great A levels in excess of offer so the GCSEs are long forgotten now.

well maybe, but i'm not so certain lizzy, i mean you can get in like that but i think you need to be very talented in other ways. it also depends what school you come from i.e. good school they expect good grades etc. also the pressre is now on as everyone has 7 a*s or more so i think they expect it. i don't think people should just set their hearts on one establishment, there's so many out there, you know? it's very rare for someone to get in on poor gcse grades so people can apply but there's always risk..
Are the types of GCSE taken into consideration? For example: two candidates, both with a same %A* at GCSE - one of which has more 'traditional' subjects such as History, Latin, German and French along with compulsory subjects and the other more 'vocational' (although not BTECs or equivalent qualifications) such Drama, Religious Studies, Graphics and ICT.

Is this considered? :holmes:

Spoiler

I'm an American looking forward to applying someday for a Modern Language degree. My problem is being evaluated for my foreign language skills. German is what I'm studying and I was homeschooled so I never took a proper class, everything was self-taught. My question is - would taking/passing a Goethe Institute Exam be equivalent to the grade that is set for the foreign language requirement that Oxford sets?

The website states: "Candidates would usually be expected to have the language or languages to A-level, Advanced Higher, Higher Level in the IB or another academic equivalent."
Hello, and thank you for actually reading this! :smile:
I want to apply for PPE at Oxford, and then do a Masters in International Economics, and Investment Banking.

Most have said I have nothing to worry about, but I can't help doing just that after seeing how much better prepared a lot of people are on TSR :/

GCSE:
5 A*
5 A
1 B
1 As IT a year early = B
Extenuating circumstances: Subjects self-taught in six months. One of the A's, Physics, was in three. The school was an epic failure. Only reason As IT was a B was lack of time to complete coursework, I aced the exam however. Another of the A's should have been A*, the school didn't submit my coursework.

A Levels (All predicted A/A*)

Economics
Government and Politics
History
Psychology

EPQ

Classical Spanish Literature - predicted A/A*

Extra curriculars

Have my own charity set up, raising money for healthcare/education projects in the Favela of Rocinha, in Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

Will be going to teach English in said location for three months after completing A levels.

Debate team

Work Experience

Santander Bank
Went to Brussels to do some work with one of my area's MEPs
Summer work experience at the Rothschild Bank in London

Other Skills

Fluent in English and Spanish, Catalan and Portuguese = Nearly fluent
My Greek is also good, I read classical Greek literature in it's original format.
My German is basic, but I am currently learning that and Arabic.

Other Things

I come from a low Socio-Economic background. My mother does not work as she has no GCSE's, my dad died. I attended a rubbish comprehensive for most of my high school years, before moving to the local Grammar - which is also rather rubbish.

Judging by my background, will Oxford not want me? - I am extremely worried about this, as I have no upper-class background/ contacts/ networking etc.! :frown:
Reply 1191
Original post by Sierra/Cesca

Judging by my background, will Oxford not want me? - I am extremely worried about this, as I have no upper-class background/ contacts/ networking etc.! :frown:

:facepalm:
You might want to ensure that you sell yourself, but you don't sound obnoxious or arrogant. There is a fine balance between the two and, grades permitting, you might need several drafts to get it balanced. Other than that, I see no reason why they wouldn't invite you for an interview. Being from a 'low socio-economic background' will work in your favour, if anything, because they are under pressure to accept more students from such a background.
Reply 1193
Sounds fancy Oxford-ish enough to me.
Original post by Infallible
You might want to ensure that you sell yourself, but you don't sound obnoxious or arrogant. There is a fine balance between the two and, grades permitting, you might need several drafts to get it balanced. Other than that, I see no reason why they wouldn't invite you for an interview. Being from a 'low socio-economic background' will work in your favour, if anything, because they are under pressure to accept more students from such a background.

Thank you :smile: This goes some way towards easing my worries!

Although I am sad I have been 'minused' in only my third post on this website :frown:
Original post by A-haaa
Sounds fancy Oxford-ish enough to me.

Fancy!? The child of immigrant parents, one of which is dead, and the other without even a basic education!? I fail to see how this is 'fancy'!

However, thank you for your reassurance that I am a suitable candidate. No matter how sarcastically you may have meant it, it is appreciated :smile:
You have nothing to worry about
Yup, I got in with slightly worse grades and a poor background so I don't see why you can't, providing you shine during your interview.
Thank you :smile: This goes some way towards easing my worries!

Although I am sad I have been 'minused' in only my third post on this website :frown:

You have been negged because you are yet another person who thinks the Guardian portrayal of the Oxford admissions process is 100% accurate.

Seriously the idea that they only want posh people is absolute rubbish, they want the best ad don't give two hoots where you come from.

If you want to apply I say go for it, however you should be aware that most people who get in for PPE have maths at least to AS and having seen some the work that a friend of mine doing PPE has to do I'd guess you would need it (it was literally a page of equations.
Fancy!? The child of immigrant parents, one of which is dead, and the other without even a basic education!? I fail to see how this is 'fancy'!

However, thank you for your reassurance that I am a suitable candidate. No matter how sarcastically you may have meant it, it is appreciated :smile:

"Although a background in Mathematics is not formally required for admission, PPE applicants should have sufficient interest in, and aptitude for, mathematics to cope with the mathematical elements of the course. Mathematics is a particular advantage for the Economics component of the course, as well as for the first year logic course in philosophy, and for understanding theories and data in politics.

Last year around 90% of the applicants who were offered places for PPE had studied Maths to at least AS-level, or equivalent. You may like to consider taking Maths to AS-level, or an equivalent qualification such as IB Standard Level, even if you do not pursue it further. It is useful to have learnt the basics of differentiation before starting your university course in PPE."

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/philosophy_politics_and_economics/philosophy_politic_1.html

Pretty stuffed without at least AS maths. Also, if you're fluent in Spanish, why are you not taking it at A-level?
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending