The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Thank you to everyone else who has posted :smile:

I suspected as much but I needed other opinions :smile: (or facts)
my GCSEs didnt reflect my A level grades, but you don't have a lot of GCSEs, most people have 10-12...?
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Why on earth would you assume you'd get A*A*A* if you have GCSEs like that?

Even people with 9A*s would be pushing it to simply assume they would get A-level grades like that?

This is very true. I know people who got 11A*s at GCSE, and really struggled with A-Levels.

Even people with 9A*s would be pushing it to simply assume they would get A-level grades like that?

Because I'm predicted A*'s :smile:
Unless the teachers at my college are completly nutty :P
Original post by Garnettoi
Hi, everyone :smile:

Umm... I know there's probably, like, a million threads like this already on here but I would just like to know, well, whether not these GCSE's will affect my chances of being accepted to do Medicine in either Oxford or Cambridge

English Language: A
English Literature: A
Maths: B
Biology: A
Chemistry: A*
Physics: B
Electronics: B
ICT OCR Double Award: Merit
Fine Art and Designs: E

I'm only asking because I know these arn't the best GCSE grades in the world and I know people at my college who have gone to places like St. Augustines and got something like 9 A*'s which makes mine look crap really lol :s-smilie:

Assuming I'm getting 3 A*'s in my A Levels, that is

Thanks you very much in advance for those who post or contribute :smile:

not too low for medicine, just apply wisely. to places that don't place strong emphasis on gcses... doesn't matter where you get your medical degree
Reply 1385

check this user: The Ultimate Proof.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Claudine
my GCSEs didnt reflect my A level grades, but you don't have a lot of GCSEs, most people have 10-12...?

I'd forgetton RE GCSE (A) and ECDL (Although I'm not sure that is of any advantage or help whatsoever) which I passed :smile:
Original post by blahblah772
not too low for medicine, just apply wisely. to places that don't place strong emphasis on gcses... doesn't matter where you get your medical degree

I have:
English Language - A
English Literature - B
Maths - A
Science - A
Additional Science - A
French - A
ICT - A
PE - B
RE - B
RE - B (I did two different exams)
Home Economics - B
Child development - A*
Welsh - A*

These grades are considered too low for medicine so I don't really agree with your statement.
Original post by blahblah772

Thanks you :smile: I'll take your advice on board
Because I'm predicted A*'s :smile:
Unless the teachers at my college are completly nutty :P

... why are you predicted A*s on the back of those results? :lolwut:

Do they just predict everyone all A*s at your school/college?

I got ok-ish GCSEs, and now I'm doing A level I'm getting 100% UMS and A*s. GCSEs don't always reflect how cleaver you are, leave OP alone, if he's predicted A*s live with it.
Original post by Holby_fanatic
I have:
English Language - A
English Literature - B
Maths - A
Science - A
Additional Science - A
French - A
ICT - A
PE - B
RE - B
Home Economics - B
Child development - A*
Welsh - A*

These grades are considered too low for medicine so I don't really agree with your statement.

Your a hell of a lot smarter than me :smile:
I'd forgetton RE GCSE (A) and ECDL (Although I'm not sure that is of any advantage or help whatsoever) which I passed :smile:

I've got ECDL too, I'm sure it must help in some way :tongue:

Because I got decent AS results and above 90% in my january exams :smile:
I have:
English Language - A
English Literature - B
Maths - A
Science - A
Additional Science - A
French - A
ICT - A
PE - B
RE - B
Home Economics - B
Child development - A*
Welsh - A*

I had 2* and 8As and am starting in september.

southampton medical school: grade B in a minimum 7 subjects
sheffield medical school: at least 6 A grades
peninsula medical school: grade c in at least 7 subjects
nottingham: Grade A minimum in at least 6 subjects
manchester: Minimum of 7 passes. Grade A minimum required in 5 subjects (these subjects do not include Applied Business, Applied ICT or short courses)

I would go on but I can't be bothered, check em out here
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements
(edited 12 years ago)
Your a hell of a lot smarter than me :smile:

You're smart too, and you should never deny that. It's hard to get A's and A* grades.
And if you get into medicine I would be so pleased for you. I didn't even have the courage to apply for medicine with my grades, so I chose medicinal chemistry instead. Medical research is the way forward for me I think. :smile:
Original post by Claudine
I've got ECDL too, I'm sure it must help in some way :tongue:

I know some courses need it, but its handy to be computer literate :L
You're smart too, and you should never deny that. It's hard to get A's and A* grades.
And if you get into medicine I would be so pleased for you. I didn't even have the courage to apply for medicine with my grades, so I chose medicinal chemistry instead. Medical research is the way forward for me I think. :smile:

Thats really sad that you didnt have the courage to apply for medicine :frown: My grades weren't that great, but I just got into Imperial for medicine!
How is your application going anyway?

Hey, you never know, you may discover the cure for Cancer or something :smile:
Besides your multi-lingual, something I respect a lot. Was Welsh good to do?
You have five choices on UCAS. Apply anyway - it's not like you'll have lost anything if you don't get in. Personally, most people I know went to Oxford or Cambridge have hated it, but maybe that's because I'm from Northern Ireland and the English have a hard time understanding our sense of humour. I considered applying but ultimately decided against it because A-Levels were so stressful that I didn't want to put any extra pressure on myself. Most likely wouldn't have got in, anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending