The Student Room Group

Do i need further maths for engineering?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You don't need it but it'll help you a LOT. Take it if you can.
I don't think it's absolutely necessary, but for places like Cambridge and Imperial it will definitely help.
Some schools/colleges don't offer it so no uni will demand it but it would be really useful and is highly recommended to do at least an AS-level. You should probably do it if you have the chance.
Reply 4
Im doing physics as well so would be looking at 15 hours of it a week, im just concerned this would be too much
Original post by 101101

Is it necessary? No. Will it help you make a competitive application? Yes. Will it help you when you start studying engineering? Yes, especially the extra pure maths.
Reply 6
Do it if you can.
Original post by 101101
Im doing physics as well so would be looking at 15 hours of it a week, im just concerned this would be too much

You'll be doing a lot more maths than that when you are on an engineering course.
Reply 8
Good point, is further maths ALOT more difficult than normal maths?
Reply 9
??
Reply 10
Original post by 101101

Some of it was tricky for me to understand, other parts were very straightforward.
For you it might well be different.
Reply 11
You will struggle less during the first year of your degree if you do have it...
Reply 12
Original post by 101101

Depends, really. Assuming you've just done GCSE's, what grade did you get in Maths? It's not a fantastic indicator but it's as good as it gets for now :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by wibletg
Depends, really. Assuming you've just done GCSE's, what grade did you get in Maths? It's not a fantastic indicator but it's as good as it gets for now :smile:

I got an A in year 10, 1 mark from A* :frown:
Reply 14
Probably help you get into uni, however bear in mind that where I work (predominantly an engineering company, see sig) the majority of the engineers have at best a fair GCSE maths knowledge.
Reply 15
Original post by 101101
I got an A in year 10, 1 mark from A* :frown:

That's quite good. I didn't sit the GCSE in year 10 but when I sat the end of year exam I got the equivalent of an A (it was a past paper). So you got roughly what I got and I ended up with an A* further maths ( of course i'm not saying you'll definitely get an A* in further maths because you got an A now :tongue: but you have seem to have a knack for maths so i'd say go for it). I should add though you don't need further maths but it helps with your application - especially if your aiming for the top engineering unis.
Reply 16
Original post by Fat-Love
That's quite good. I didn't sit the GCSE in year 10 but when I sat the end of year exam I got the equivalent of an A (it was a past paper). So you got roughly what I got and I ended up with an A* further maths ( of course i'm not saying you'll definitely get an A* in further maths because you got an A now :tongue: but you have seem to have a knack for maths so i'd say go for it). I should add though you don't need further maths but it helps with your application - especially if your aiming for the top engineering unis.

A*.. well done! Thanks for the insight, i suppose its better to have the shock of it at college when theres the support of the teachers, instead of at uni when there will be just someone talking at you.

Thanks for the help :smile:
guys im in a bit of a situation, and I would love to receive some advice. I have just finished my AS exams(maths, physics, chemistry and biology), I mite be applying for engineering - so I thought picking up further maths nxt year would be a great idea. then I realised that at the time of my application, I wouldn't have achieved a grade on it, since I have just started it. this made me rethink, is it really worth it?- how would it help my application - since I picked it up late, would it be one of my conditional offer? I would love to get advice from anyone who has been in a similar situation, or who know how this works.
Original post by precious maro
guys im in a bit of a situation, and I would love to receive some advice. I have just finished my AS exams(maths, physics, chemistry and biology), I mite be applying for engineering - so I thought picking up further maths nxt year would be a great idea. then I realised that at the time of my application, I wouldn't have achieved a grade on it, since I have just started it. this made me rethink, is it really worth it?- how would it help my application - since I picked it up late, would it be one of my conditional offer? I would love to get advice from anyone who has been in a similar situation, or who know how this works.

I took up AS further maths at the beginning of the second year. It doesn't count for any of my conditional offers but I cant begin to explain how much it helped at my oxford interview!
It might not be required but id deffinately take it as it will come in useful.

Quick Reply

Latest