The Student Room Group

Cardiff Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by dee1334
Got an offer in my email box today saying they've invited me for interview! Woohoo! :smile: It's next friday morning (friday the 13th.........eeek!) so I'm feeling pretty excited! :smile:

congrats! :smile:
Reply 381
Original post by Pop?
Yep me! Lets hope we hear soon... :wink:

& me....
Original post by C-J-J
Got an invite to interview today for the 13th of Jan :smile: .

Me too!!! See you there :biggrin:
Reply 383
Original post by Kidneyjean
-

Did you have 3 interviewers and did all of the interviewers have a copy of your personal statement?
Reply 384
Original post by nexl
Did you have 3 interviewers and did all of the interviewers have a copy of your personal statement?

Yep. But one of them was very focused on it, while the other two asked more "personality" questions.
Hi all, I have an interview on the 10th and very nervous. Do you have any tips you can give me for the interview? I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has already received an offer.

Thanks
Reply 386
Original post by A.Fitzgerald
Hi all, I have an interview on the 10th and very nervous. Do you have any tips you can give me for the interview? I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has already received an offer.

Thanks

Just make sure you know your personal statement inside out and back to front. And don't panic if you think you mess up. I completely misunderstood the first question, answered it completely wrong and was convinced afterwards that I wouldn't get in. And then I got an offer :biggrin:. It's easier said than done, but just try to stay calm. The interviewers were lovely and genuinely interested in what I had to say :smile:. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 387
Oh also, has anyone that's received an offer in December heard anything more yet? Like, the conditions of offer? :smile:
Reply 388
Original post by LS1994
Oh also, has anyone that's received an offer in December heard anything more yet? Like, the conditions of offer? :smile:

no i havent heard since the letter
Reply 389
Original post by LS1994

Conditions will be AAA to include Biology and Chemistry.
Assuming you took those two, I haven't heard of anyone getting an offer without them.
Reply 390
hey guys (:
i'm an international student and anyone konws abt intl interviews?
and do they reject immediately if can't meet the stadard? or reject only around march?

thanks lots!!!! so nervous and eager now!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 391
Elwyn
-

Hi Elwyn, I have an interview next week and I was wondering if you could answer a few questions about Cardiff? :smile:

In systems based teaching, how long are the modules and do you learn about each system more than once during medical school?

How do exams work, do you have exams after every module, or at the end of the year?

How good is the area around the university, in terms of living costs and safety?

Thanks.
Reply 392
Original post by nexl
Hi Elwyn, I have an interview next week and I was wondering if you could answer a few questions about Cardiff? :smile:

I'm only in first year, but I'll answer as best I can.

In systems based teaching, how long are the modules and do you learn about each system more than once during medical school?
This is quite a difficult one to answer, in first year we have lectures on the system, sometimes one or two or up to four or five a week. Each will be a different aspect of each system, for example the CV module ranges from lectures on ECGs to Peripheral Vascular Beds.

How do exams work, do you have exams after every module, or at the end of the year?
As far as exams that count go, the Anatomy one is in March and the rest in June. Not too sure about other years but I know they've moved finals from year 5 to the end of year 4/beginning of year 5.

How good is the area around the university, in terms of living costs and safety?
I've lived no more than 30 minutes from Cardiff all my life, and anyone who knows the city will tell you it's one of the safest and cheapest cities in the UK. Plus there's plenty to do.

Feel free to PM me with any more questions or for interview help.
Reply 393
Original post by Elwyn
-

Thanks for your reply. I have a few more questions:

About systems based teaching, when you finish one module, such as the CV, do you ever learn more about the same system again during the later years, or are you expected to just remember it?

I saw from the website that there is a "problem centred approach", does this mean that there is PBL teaching?

I noticed from one of your earlier posts that they would be interested in my reasons for liking the city. I've never been to Cardiff before, and my main reason for choosing this medical school was the dissection, so I was wondering if you could tell me some of the main benefits of living in Cardiff?

Thank you so much for your help! :smile:
Reply 394
Original post by nexl
Thanks for your reply. I have a few more questions:

[*]About systems based teaching, when you finish one module, such as the CV, do you ever learn more about the same system again during the later years, or are you expected to just remember it?
I assume you do more work on the modules in later years, obviously when you cover diseases of the system, such as an MI. However a lot of the knowledge will need to be remembered, this will be the same for all Medical Schools though.
[*]I saw from the website that there is a "problem centred approach", does this mean that there is PBL teaching?
The first few years contain very little PBL and you are very much spoon-fed, which makes the transition from school easier, however in later years there is more PBL type learning. Although having said that, the new Dean is making big changes, and from 2013 entry the course will change a lot, there may not even be dissection in it. To find out more look for the C21 project on the Cardiff website, there isn't much info about it at the moment but more will be made available soon.
[*]I noticed from one of your earlier posts that they would be interested in my reasons for liking the city. I've never been to Cardiff before, and my main reason for choosing this medical school was the dissection, so I was wondering if you could tell me some of the main benefits of living in Cardiff?
Aside from the safety which I've already covered.
If your into sport, there's the millenium stadium.
If your into entertainment, there's the millenium centre, motorpoint arena and several theatres.
There's many clubs ensuring a vibrant nightlife every night of the week.
Plenty of shops, including the new Saint Davids 2 shoppping centre.
I'm bound to have left something out but I assure you, you won't be dissapointed.
Just got an interview invite for next monday. Totally stressed out now, got uni exams, Alevel exams, and now an interivew to prep for. Arghhhhhh
Original post by strawberrys
Just got an interview invite for next monday. Totally stressed out now, got uni exams, Alevel exams, and now an interivew to prep for. Arghhhhhh

You have an interview: yay!!!!!
Original post by dragonfly647
You have an interview: yay!!!!!

sorry my post sounded really negative. I am excited about it :smile: just got quite a bit of work to do
Original post by strawberrys

Did you get an email or were you phoned about one? I got a call today that asked if I could go for an interview, but I can't because of another interview, so they said that they'll just email me another date but I just wondered if you got the interview over the phone?

But yay interview! :biggrin:
Original post by Quackers93
Did you get an email or were you phoned about one? I got a call today that asked if I could go for an interview, but I can't because of another interview, so they said that they'll just email me another date but I just wondered if you got the interview over the phone?

But yay interview! :biggrin:

Nope, I got an email. When was yours for? was it for monday?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending