The Student Room Group

Cardiff Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
that email scared me! i dont know how many applications they are still looking at or how many interviews they have yet to give? i tried calling but could not get through. does anyone have an idea?
Email!!!!!! I am not going to breath for the next few weeks. I'm glad they are keeping us up to date though!! Go Cardiff!!!
Reply 582
Does anyone know the last date they give out interviews is... this is my last chance and really need an interview!!
Original post by medman001
Bad luck...were you rejected without interview?

Yea, without interview.

I can't in the life of me think why they rejected me. 5As at AS level (Chem, bio, physics, computing and maths).

677.5 average for ukcat, all sections above 600. One of them being 820.

I'd say decent work experience, 2 seperate weeks, one at a hospital and one at heart research.

I'd say my non academics and sport are good. Silver DofE as well.

The only thing I'd put it down to is a B for GCSE English Language.
Reply 584
The last paragraph of that email made it sound like they had made the majority of decisions already. Hope that isn't the case haha! Its good that they keep us up to date with the process though :smile:
Reply 585
Im a graduate from cardiff uni, rejected via UCAS at 6pm today. good luck all still waiting!
Reply 586
Original post by TheGrinningSkull
Yea, without interview.

I can't in the life of me think why they rejected me. 5As at AS level (Chem, bio, physics, computing and maths).

I'd say decent work experience, 2 seperate weeks, one at a hospital and one at heart research.

It wouldn't have been because of the English Language grade. What were your other grades?
Reply 587
Yea, without interview.

maybe it's because you put all your emphasis on academia?
Yea, without interview.

The thing with medicine is an incredible amount of applicants are rejected without much good cause. There is such a vast quantity of applicants applying, that, it may have simply been a word put down that doesn't quite flow in the sentence, that ends up putting someone off your application.

There's a lot of different factors involved when an application is processed, and I think that being offered a place is partly down to chance.

EDIT: Just been rejected - I still stand by what I said!
(edited 12 years ago)
Just got a rejection unfortunately :frown: not too fussed cause I already have an offer so oh well...
If anyone wants to know, it was pre-interview, and my stats are 6A* 3A 1B, predicted A*AA and got ABBB for AS
Original post by Mn9
maybe it's because you put all your emphasis on academia?

Doubtful. Surely unis are not the mind of a female (joke)? "You're too good, we won't take you".

Maybe the poster below had a point.

Even my non academia is strong I believe.
Silver Dofe, many chess trohpies, lots of work experience, playing sports like tennis, basketball, football, snooker, swimming, karate (to name what I remember).
Or maybe they don't like the fact that I had a saturday job?
Not to mention Arabic school that I attended for 9 years every Saturday and Sunday. A few uk maths challenges, playing grade 6 piano and currently about to sit grade 5 theory.
And in the end, rejection without interview.

In the end if all it comes down to is the personal statement then I just feel gutted.
EDIT: Sorry if I sounded arrogant, I'm not usually and I'm just annoyed because this is my final rejection, I think it may have come down to the personal statement in the end.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 591
Doubtful. Surely unis are not the mind of a female (joke)? "You're too good, we won't take you".

Maybe the poster below had a point.

Even my non academia is strong I believe.
Silver Dofe, many chess trohpies, lots of work experience, playing sports like tennis, basketball, football, snooker, swimming, karate (to name what I remember).
Or maybe they don't like the fact that I had a saturday job?
Not to mention Arabic school that I attended for 9 years every Saturday and Sunday. A few uk maths challenges, playing grade 6 piano and currently about to sit grade 5 theory.
And in the end, rejection without interview.

In the end if all it comes down to is the personal statement then I just feel gutted.

Gotta love a bit of modesty.

Doesn't seem like you did any voluntary work? All the medical students I know in Cardiff volunteered for at least a year.
Original post by dragonfly647
The thing with medicine is an incredible amount of applicants are rejected without much good cause. There is such a vast quantity of applicants applying, that, it may have simply been a word put down that doesn't quite flow in the sentence, that ends up putting someone off your application.

There's a lot of different factors involved when an application is processed, and I think that being offered a place is partly down to chance.

EDIT: Just been rejected - I still stand by what I said!

I think I'd have to agree with what you've said there. It's a shame if the system were to rely on chance like this.

I'm so sorry to hear, I hope you get into what you want to do eventually. :smile:
Original post by mmeiger
Gotta love a bit of modesty.

Doesn't seem like you did any voluntary work? All the medical students I know in Cardiff volunteered for at least a year.

lol, no modesty when it comes to applying, although I usually don't do this :L

Hmm, well I do volunteer to help out in the school chess club, photography club, helped out for 6 months in dofe teaching first aid I guess as well as tech club.

But nothing like a care home or anything like that.

Does it seriously come down to that in the end? Shame. :frown:

Does Dofe volunteering count in any way? Like for gold and silver, those are pretty long. Because if not then I have a friend (gold dofe) who's had an interview and I'm pretty sure he hasn't volunteered for a care home or something of the like.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 594

Hmm, well I do volunteer to help out in the school chess club, photography club, helped out for 6 months in dofe teaching first aid I guess as well as tech club.

Does Dofe volunteering count in any way? Like for gold and silver, those are pretty long. Because if not then I have a friend (gold dofe) who's had an interview and I'm pretty sure he hasn't volunteered for a care home or something of the like.

The people I know volunteered in care homes/schools etc, but as mentioned before there is definitely an element of luck and who reviews your application. Teaching first aid sounds good, did you expand on that in your personal statement?
Reply 595

Cardiff love people who work/volunteer in care homes.
If you are thinking of reapplying I suggest you try and get some experience at one.
Yea, without interview.

I knoww that i applied to the 6 year course and not 5 year, but i also got rejected yday and have a feeling it may be something to do with my b in gcse english language. Because cardiff seem to put alot of emphasis on that, with the whole giving gcse points etc. But who knows! I know i did alot of volunteering and i got interviews from all my other uni's so just thought it could be english too!
Reply 597
oh god i'm super nervous now becoz of the email ><
Reply 598
Rejected yesterday!!! :frown:
GCSE's: 7A*s, 5A's
AS's: AAAA
A2 predicions: A*A*A
Also play piano to grade 7 standard, and have a distinction in music theory
A fair bit of experience, and i think i am a well-rounded person

So very gutted to be rejected :frown: its my fourth rejection, so i better start planning my gap year :frown: Good luck everyone else x
I think I'd have to agree with what you've said there. It's a shame if the system were to rely on chance like this.

I'm so sorry to hear, I hope you get into what you want to do eventually. :smile:

I'm fine because I have an offer for medicine at another uni! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending