The Student Room Group

Cardiff Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
Have any of you guys worked out what grade you need in these summer exams to get an A overall in your subjects???
Have any of you graduates got any ideas for funding? I've been offered a place but have only just out that I can't get funding for an undergraduate course as I'm a graduate. I can't believe that the dream could end so quickly, purely down to money!
Reply 762
Got a waiting list letter today. I have 2 other offers but Cardiff was my favourite, it's pretty ridiculous that I would have to reject my other offers to be put on the waiting list here but still it does make me think. Does anyone know if it would be possible to find out chances of clearing the list?
Reply 763
Original post by mmeiger
Got a waiting list letter today. I have 2 other offers but Cardiff was my favourite, it's pretty ridiculous that I would have to reject my other offers to be put on the waiting list here but still it does make me think. Does anyone know if it would be possible to find out chances of clearing the list?

Hiya,
I had the same letter, I have one offer as well, but I did really want to go to cardiff, so it's a bit confusing. So you'd defo have to decline the other offers and then put the waiting list option as your first choice?
Bit ridiculous isn't it.... :O
Reply 764
Original post by mmeiger

Quite a lot of people get in from the waiting list, around 20 people I know did this year. But I'm not sure how many waiting list offers they gave out.
Original post by studentdoc
It is at the bottom of league tables due to 'student satisfaction', which has mainly been criticized by Glamorgan students who come to join the course in the second year. They don't feel they have enough support because they have come from a course where the number of students was around 30 or less, to a course where the student numbers are nearer 300. As you can see, this is quite a difference, and they aren't going to be getting as much attention as they are used to.
Another factor you have to consider is that much of the league tables are constructed from surveys taken out years ago, on students who have probably qualified by now. They complained about the lack of support they had as well as the lack of feedback. I can tell you that I hear the word feedback literally every day and they are now officially obsessed with feedback, so that isn't an issue any more.
They do try their best to improve from year to year, and changes are made to the course yearly based on previous years' feedback. Cardiff's had such 'bad press' over the whole bottom of the league tables thing that they are working hard to try and turn it around.
The same as Elwyn, there's no reason I can think of that Cardiff is at the bottom of the league tables, I can tell you it isn't justified at all :smile:

Cardiff Uni as a whole does poorly in student satisfaction surveys (not just the med school). They are trying to deal with late feedback and poor student support but have been slower than other places to address this. A lot of lecturers see their research as much more important than the students. I read somewhere that Cardiff Med School has the highest failure rates in the country at the end of year one which suggests there's a problem.
Reply 766
got my last response from the other unis. looks like i'll be going to cardiff (soooo excited!!!).
i got my offer in december and have heard nothing about this post offer open day. anyone know anything about it????
Reply 767
Original post by george08
Have any of you guys worked out what grade you need in these summer exams to get an A overall in your subjects???

bit of a funny question to ask but coincidentally i have.
2 C's (62/100)in the last modules of maths
a mid B (82/120) in chem
and an A* (126/140) in bio (thats unrealistic so resitting unit one)

over the last few weeks i have become strangely obsessed with calculating UMS!!! can't wait till August, all the stress will be gone :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Godfrey Peters
Cardiff Uni as a whole does poorly in student satisfaction surveys (not just the med school). They are trying to deal with late feedback and poor student support but have been slower than other places to address this. A lot of lecturers see their research as much more important than the students. I read somewhere that Cardiff Med School has the highest failure rates in the country at the end of year one which suggests there's a problem.

Nonono, failure rates for year one USED to be high - because they used to have exams every two weeks and people couldnt cope with the pressure. This isnt the case anymore, we have one big exam in march and then summer exams. The assumption was that they could get rid of anyone who wouldnt succeed in completing the course early on, but this has changed since about 3/4 years. Moral of the story, don't take everything you read at face value :smile:
Reply 769
Original post by Rubixcube
Hiya,
I had the same letter, I have one offer as well, but I did really want to go to cardiff, so it's a bit confusing. So you'd defo have to decline the other offers and then put the waiting list option as your first choice?
Bit ridiculous isn't it.... :O

Original post by mmeiger

I'm not 100% sure but 2 years ago my cousin was put on the waiting list for Cardiff, for her it was her only option as she had all rejections. However they didn't tell her until 4 days after results came out that she started off as 20 something on the waiting list and ended as number 8. They do give out quite a few places but wouldn't tell her before hand where on the list she was.

All I'm trying to say if you both have other offers, which is something many would love to have, you may not want to throw them away on the chance you may get an offer from Cardiff. I agree that Cardiff is AMAZING but medicine is medicine and I'm sure where ever you go you'll have a great time (you did apply there in the 1st place!) and ultimately you will qualify as a doctor :smile:

Sorry if any of this is incorrect, I'm just saying what I know :smile:
Reply 770
Offer came through on track...conditional offer but I have my grades already. I've been told to send off copies of my certificates, does anyone know whether I can just e-mail to them or do I have to copy them and send them through the post? Thanks.
Original post by Harryh811
Offer came through on track...conditional offer but I have my grades already. I've been told to send off copies of my certificates, does anyone know whether I can just e-mail to them or do I have to copy them and send them through the post? Thanks.

I'm in the same position as you. I think you can post if you like, however if you've received your student number and password then you can sign in and upload your documents. This is what i did last night to avoid relying on the post and to save time
Reply 772
Original post by mom_blondie
I'm in the same position as you. I think you can post if you like, however if you've received your student number and password then you can sign in and upload your documents. This is what i did last night to avoid relying on the post and to save time

I just received the e-mail this morning but not much info was given beforehand with regards to sending the documents but yeah I think that's the official way of doing it, does it include ALL the qualifications I've got? (including GCSE's)
Reply 773
Original post by Harryh811
I just received the e-mail this morning but not much info was given beforehand with regards to sending the documents but yeah I think that's the official way of doing it, does it include ALL the qualifications I've got? (including GCSE's)

I think you just have to send your A level certificates, well that's what I'm doing.
I've uploaded all certificates claimed on my application form, just to cover my backside:smile:
Hi im wondering if someone can help me,
Im currently on a gap year ,already have my A-levels results, i was interviewed by cardiff but was rejected. Yesterday however i was sent a letter asking if i would like to be placed on a waiting list. Im just wondering how the waiting list works? Who contacts who on results day? If i was lucky enough to recieve an offer what time does it usually happen? I know im asking a lot of questions but this is my last hope so i would be so grateful if anyone could give me some info. thanks :smile:
Original post by laurenlouise
Hi im wondering if someone can help me,
Im currently on a gap year ,already have my A-levels results, i was interviewed by cardiff but was rejected. Yesterday however i was sent a letter asking if i would like to be placed on a waiting list. Im just wondering how the waiting list works? Who contacts who on results day? If i was lucky enough to recieve an offer what time does it usually happen? I know im asking a lot of questions but this is my last hope so i would be so grateful if anyone could give me some info. thanks :smile:

basically you are ranked on a list, and if people with offers miss their grades, youre offered a place. they will contact you after the results.. it could be as early as a few days after.. could be as late as a few days before term starts! i don't know how many people are on the list, but there is an intake of around 40ish each year so there's actually quite a good chance of getting in. good luck :smile:
Aww right thank you very much, so when should I look at other courses through clearing because if I don't get in through the waiting list I think I'm still going to go to uni then apply post grad? Sorry to be a pain :smile:
Original post by cokeke2

i got my offer in december and have heard nothing about this post offer open day. anyone know anything about it????

>>>
Original post by Someone123123
It's in the e-mail they sent offer people (or did you get an offer in December?). It's May 1-4th, 8-11th, with an AM and PM session on each day (you only need to go to one) apart from 3rd which has no PM session.

Quite weird you Decemberers haven't been told about it. I'll just paste that portion of the email for the benefit of people like you..

Cardiff
This day will comprise of a talk about Admissions, a talk about the new curriculum, a tour of the Cochrane Building our £18million state-of-the-art teaching centre, as well as Clinical Skills demonstrations. The day will finish with a nonstop bus tour into the City Centre, and Tal Y Bont Residences. The bus will then return you to Heath Park Campus.

In order to book a place at these events you must respond to this email ([email protected]) confirming that you would like to attend. Your name will then be added to our register. Please also confirm whether you intend to bring 1 guest.

We will do our best to accommodate your request if you would like to attend on a specific date. However, due to a limited number of visitors allowed on each date, bookings will be on a first come first served basis. The date you have been allocated will be confirmed via email at the beginning of April 2012.

If you are unable to or if you simply do not wish to attend the above events this will not affect your offer or your place in any way.

Candidates accepting an offer from this university, whose correspondence address is different from their home address, should inform UCAS and ourselves as soon as a change of address takes place. Any further communication will be sent to the correspondence address held on the relevant systems.

An official confirmation letter and offer pack with further information will be sent out to you in the next few days.

:smile:
Original post by studentdoc
basically you are ranked on a list, and if people with offers miss their grades, youre offered a place. they will contact you after the results.. it could be as early as a few days after.. could be as late as a few days before term starts! i don't know how many people are on the list, but there is an intake of around 40ish each year so there's actually quite a good chance of getting in. good luck :smile:

Are you sure its as many as 40? MillB's post (above) says her cousin started at 20 something and got to 8th on the list two years ago. That suggests they took fewer than 20 from the waiting list that year.:confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending