The Student Room Group

Cardiff Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beth.19
Basically I applied saying I was retaking, but now I'm not, so instead of my offer of 36 points at IB I have 35. Figured I'll wait until results time (ib) to inform them of my grade and just keep my fingers crossed I guess. I should mention this is for the foundation course, so there are 16 places and I think they make about 28 offers? I'm not sure how good my chances are but I'm sure as hell gonna give it a go.

ah i see. not gonna lie, i don't know much about the foundation course! but yes, give it a go, and good luck :smile:
Original post by Godfrey Peters
I won't be going on the waiting list so it doesn't affect me but it seems unfair to give preference to people who get offers and then fail to get the grades. It isn't all about academics but performance at 15-20 interview is not a good guide to who will be the best doctor. Some applicants get coached by their schools on how to write their PS and do interviews which gives them an advantage. Grades are a fairer measure of ability.

Not when your school is in its first year of IB and a quarter of the students fail. My school had no idea - i was graded full marks for tok then it got moderated to a c. I'm not blaming my school entirely for the low grades we all received, but it sure as hell made a massive difference that they didn't know what they were doing.
Reply 802
Recently recieved an offer from cardiff!!! but, when I think about june exams, i feel really scared!!! maybe, staying away from student room and actually doing some revision might help!:colondollar:
Reply 803
One question: on track it says, the offer is subject to you obtaining 3 GCE Advanced levels- AAA. Does this mean just year 13 results or year 12 and 13 added up together? CAN SOMEONE PLEASE CONFIRM THIS???
Reply 804
Original post by george08
One question: on track it says, the offer is subject to you obtaining 3 GCE Advanced levels- AAA. Does this mean just year 13 results or year 12 and 13 added up together? CAN SOMEONE PLEASE CONFIRM THIS???

I don't know what you mean.

It means you have to get 3 A grades at A2 (to include chemistry and biology I should imagine).
Reply 805
So, does year 12 results count towards the A2 grade?
Reply 806
So, does year 12 results count towards the A2 grade?

Yes of course, your A2 grade is decided by all your AS and A2 modules.
Reply 807
Original post by Elwyn
Yes of course, your A2 grade is decided by all your AS and A2 modules.

Thanks Dude!!!:smile:
Reply 808
How's everyone's revision for June exams going?
Reply 809

I've been camping out in the library everyday this week. Didn't manage to get much revision done today, but I've become motivated to revise thanks to the offer from Cardiff. Luckily my first exam isn't until the middle of June, so I've got two months to revise. What about yourself?
Reply 810

No where :frown: I only broke up today but despite having an offer from Cardiff I really have no motivation!! Ah well hopefully (fingers crossed) it will hit me soon and I'll start doing something!!!
Reply 811

its pretty grim tbh. I am trying to motivate myself but the smallest thing will distract me for hours because its so much more interesting than revising.. :/ Im on about 2/3 hours a day and i know that isnt good enough but im trying to boost it up lol.
Reply 812
Good luck to all of you revising! Brings back great memories....haha. I guess it's harder to revise knowing you have to do well to get into Cardiff, whereas last year I was revising knowing that it didn't matter too much if I did amazing or not.
Reply 813
Original post by MillsB
No where :frown: I only broke up today but despite having an offer from Cardiff I really have no motivation!! Ah well hopefully (fingers crossed) it will hit me soon and I'll start doing something!!!

Tell me about it! When I didn't receive any offers, I was like "I don't have any motivation, but if I do get any, I'll be so motivated!"......
BUT NO....my stupid brain has not been motivated enough, even with an offer from an amazing uni like Cardiff:frown: I keep saying to myself "i really need to do some revision" but I just can't :frown: Let's all motivate each other!!!!!
Is there a Cardiff uni offer holders Facebook page? I can't find one! I will make one if there isn't one, but I wanted to check its not me being incompetent in not finding it :P
Reply 815
Original post by 1overcosc
Is there a Cardiff uni offer holders Facebook page? I can't find one! I will make one if there isn't one, but I wanted to check its not me being incompetent in not finding it :P

please make one
Reply 816

Original post by os93
please make one

Yes Please do! I was thinking this the other day but couldn't find one
Original post by MillsB
Yes Please do! I was thinking this the other day but couldn't find one

It's been made! Cardiff University Medicine Offer Holders 2012 :biggrin: See you guys on Facebook :P
Reply 818
It's been made! Cardiff University Medicine Offer Holders 2012 :biggrin: See you guys on Facebook :P

Can you post the link! :smile:
Original post by KR1993
Can you post the link! :smile:

Haha yeah that's a good idea :P

http://www.facebook.com/groups/224328434342049/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending