The Student Room Group

What to wear to an interview?

I'm applying to study Architecture and have an interview at Oxford Brookes. The thing is, I don't know what to wear! I have a suit but I don't know if that's too smart.

At school we've been told to wear suits to job interviews and to Oxbridge interviews as well, but for other universities I'm not so sure. I know they want you to be "yourself" but I also know that some unis like you to be smart.

Help?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I had an interview last week and have another this week I am going to wear black trousers and a blouse with a smart jumper on top.

If your a guy (sorry dont know) then perhaps shirt with tie but without the jacket hence smart but not overly smart.
Reply 2
Jeez do none of you guys need to wear suits to school? I might just be being a super naive private school boy again! I'm 3 piece suit everday, including to interviews!

I would have thought that the smarter the better for interviews, thotop hat and cane would be goin a bit too far. lol
Reply 3
I have worn a dark navy suit, white shirt and plain blue tie and worn my glasses rather than contact lenses.
Reply 4
I'm a girl (should prolly indicate that in my profile :P) - I was planning on wearing a suit with a blouse. Though I dunno if I should just wear the suit with a smart jumper?
Reply 5
Ideally you want to wear something like:

http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/66/65886/tux.jpg

Can't go wrong with the top hat either.

Good Luck.
Reply 6
I think the impression most people want to give is business like, but still young/ not a middle aged banker etc.
So, as a bloke, i wore the following ... smart shoes, suit trousers, a light blue shirt, and a plain black pull over. I didnt take the jacket, and instead wore a trench coat that i bought in oxfam, and a scarf that looks like its a prop from harry potter (its red/yellow grifendor style). I think the scarf counterbalanced the preppyness!
Reply 7
I went with my friend to a uni interview last week and some people were wearing suits, and others were at the other extreme with jeans, trainers and a normal top. The people who were wearing more formal clothing looked serious about their application and like they were actually at a university interview, whereas the people who turned up in jeans looked like they had tried to get to the shopping centre but ended up at the uni by mistake.

For my interviews I'm wearing a skirt and a smart jumper/top and jacket.
Charlie W
Jeez do none of you guys need to wear suits to school? I might just be being a super naive private school boy again! I'm 3 piece suit everday, including to interviews!

I would have thought that the smarter the better for interviews, thotop hat and cane would be goin a bit too far. lol

Hee hee, definitely super naive private schoolboy! :-)

We were advised in my college to dress smartly but let your own personality get through as well...basically don't try to be something you're not!
Black suit, same as I wear to school. I was comfortable in it, which is the main thing. Also it saved the hassle of debating what to wear!
Reply 10
For my interviews I wore black trousers and a jumper/vest-top and light blue shrug, and that seemed to be what everyone else was wearing. Good luck!
Just remember the outside is more important, the chance of you taking of your coat is sometime not needed, I focus on my coat and brought a £70 light lime green coat, I try downloading my outfit to you.
I bought new clother, chocolate trou, cream top and black boots and a new bag; hand bag.

You need to catch they eye and remember be honest. well not too honest.
Well my interview is tomorrow, wish me luck.

I going for a architecture Technology at De Montfort at Leis any one else?

I write back once I had it, but I got another one at Hiddersfield University next wed.
Reply 12
latex catsuit has a good impression on older tutors
I haven't worn a suit to a single interview, but I've tried not to look too scruffy... tucked my shirt in etc.

I really think that if these academics are the kind of people who'll judge me on what I wear, I don't want to be with them.
Reply 14
I had an interview at Manchester the other day and wore some chino style trousers and a black v-neck jumper. Very casual, the sort of clothes you go down the pub in. Everyone seemed to be dressed rather casually - the few people in suits looked somewhat out of place. Got an offer as well, so it can't have been too awful!:biggrin:
Reply 15
Charlie W
Yes, super naive. We wear what we like to college.
Lol to my eng lit interview at Warwick yesterday I wore dark jeans, a cute floral blouse, a black v-neck top and black converse. Fitted in perfectly with the other applicants, and even looked smarter than some. Felt really comfortable, more so than I would have done wearing a suit, which I think is important.
Reply 17
I'm planning on dressing smartly, but with casual touches, so I'm not overdressed.
ive worn black trousers and smart jumper to one interview only to find the other people there waiting to be interviewed were in jeans,etc..

recently I had an interview and I wore jeans, converse, white shirt, pink scarf round my neck (pretty one!) and a black jacket and they didnt mind heck they offered me a place on the course lol :p: they just want u to be u not to dress as something ur not and feel uncomfortable
Reply 19
Go for smart, comfortable! i really don't think it matters that much, but I wouldn't go for the mini skirt and stilettos look.

Latest

Trending

Trending