The Student Room Group

Why do Americans think the 9/11 victims are heroes?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
because in the usa one american life is worth dozens of foreign ones...they hardly even report foreign news or talk about deaths caused by us troops or whatever. i know many people will disagree with this and will neg me but this is what i have found talking and living with many americans, and visiting the usa quite a few times
Reply 41
Original post by sorafdfs

A person who follows the Abrahamic religions should not fear but embrace death. Unless your faith is wavering then you know you'll soon be in the presence of God Almighty :s-smilie:

what makes you tihnk i am a follower of religion haha... just because i highlighted a religious matter

a quote from a prophet of that religion you just mentioned

one innocent murder... in the eys of god is like the whole of humanity been murdered
one innocent life saved... in the eyes of god is like the whole humanity has been saved

so if God shows such importance of one life, I belife if someone was religious, it would be obligatory on him to value life highly
Reply 42
No one cares about religious people because they go to heaven. If you're religious you should be happy they died because now they're in paradise with God :smile:

In trying to post something clever you came across as a complete moron. :facepalm:
Reply 43
Original post by ser00
because in the usa one american life is worth dozens of foreign ones...they hardly even report foreign news or talk about deaths caused by us troops or whatever. i know many people will disagree with this and will neg me but this is what i have found talking and living with many americans, and visiting the usa quite a few times

I think most western countries are the same on the reporting front. A nation will mourn deaths of its own citizens before others. It isn't anything to do with an american life being worth more than another, it is simply priorities. The US cannot protect every single person on the planet, especially when many of those people would kill americans given half the chance.

Just FYI, there is a memorial garden in Manhattan dedicated to all the english people that died in 9/11.
Reply 44
Enshrine there memory to stifle debates about the event of 9/11 and the subsequent actions taken by the US govt in revenge

Question 9/11 or the Afghan war and you are "insulting" 9/11 heroes
Reply 45
Original post by Le_Bow
Put aside the emergency workers who were killed trying to save lives, who are the others who died labelled as brave?

Since when did being killed equal bravery?

Is it just the Americans being Americans and throwing the word "hero" around?

I understand you saying the word gets thrown around a lot, but I guess the reason it applies here is that the people experienced a fear and terror that most people never do in their whole lives. I spose you could say that makes them brave.
Original post by Le_Bow
Put aside the emergency workers who were killed trying to save lives, who are the others who died labelled as brave?

Sometimes the Americans are overly cheesy, but not about 9/11. It was a mass tragedy. Period. I never noticed that they had overly-used the term heroes?

It wasnt just the emergency workers who tried to save people, many office managers worked hard to protect their staff in the towers on the way out, in some cases putting the lives of strangers ahead of their own.

The crew and passengers aboard United 93 could certainly be labelled heroes because they fought back against the terrorists and saved many lives that would have been lost had the plane reached the White House/US Capitol (it is unknown to this day which Al Queda had chosen I think).
Reply 47
Original post by Cicerao
In trying to post something clever you came across as a complete moron. :facepalm:

Poor misguided soul!
Flight 93.
Well youre forgetting the people in flight 93, the emergency servicemen who died, and the many people who were under no obligation to try and rescue people from the rubble in the aftermath, but did so anyway and are now suffering from incredibly aggressive illnesses. I think they count as heroes.
What a stupid, ****ing insensitive thread. Those people died a horrible death, what the **** does it matter to you what they call them? And the timing of it makes you twice the prick. Have some respect for the dead amd go try to do something useful you worthless piece of ****.
Reply 51
Original post by TheProdigy2k9
They can call them what they want, innocent people dying.

Just because they were innocent and died doesn't automatically make them heroes or brave. In their last moments some of the people might have cowered in the corner instead of helping others.

They were innocent yes, they didn't deserve to die, well that goes without saying. However none of that makes them automatically brave or heroes.

Original post by Aj12
Never heard anyone call them heroes

I have, in conversation with numerous Americans. But generally it is in their culture to over use these words.

Original post by Chav Princess
This.

What a non-story. The OP probably knows they are rarely, if ever, referred to as 'heroes' but is making it up to stir tensions

:rolleyes: It isn't a non story and I'm not trying to stir things up, it is a genuine question.

I never said the Americans do it all the time, but they have been known to do this.

Original post by Luis_Garcia
What a stupid, ****ing insensitive thread. Those people died a horrible death, what the **** does it matter to you what they call them? And the timing of it makes you twice the prick. Have some respect for the dead amd go try to do something useful you worthless piece of ****.

:rolleyes: Oh bravo, bravo for showing some real class yourself.

Look idiot, it is a genuine query and a genuine question. I'm not denying the people died a horrible death and I'm certainly not playing that down or condoning it.

And actually I do plenty of useful things.

Geez what a tool.

Original post by Banburyhammer
Well youre forgetting the people in flight 93, the emergency servicemen who died, and the many people who were under no obligation to try and rescue people from the rubble in the aftermath, but did so anyway and are now suffering from incredibly aggressive illnesses. I think they count as heroes.

Yeah I did say excluding those people ya know.....
Reply 52
Original post by TheProdigy2k9
They can call them what they want, innocent people dying.

Does that mean all the civilians in Iraq, Afghanistan and Vietnam were all heroes? What with America killing them all.
I do think heroes is a bit much but if thats the phrase they want to use then go ahead.
Original post by Le_Bow
Just because they were innocent and died doesn't automatically make them heroes or brave. In their last moments some of the people might have cowered in the corner instead of helping others.

They were innocent yes, they didn't deserve to die, well that goes without saying. However none of that makes them automatically brave or heroes.

I have, in conversation with numerous Americans. But generally it is in their culture to over use these words.

:rolleyes: It isn't a non story and I'm not trying to stir things up, it is a genuine question.

I never said the Americans do it all the time, but they have been known to do this.

:rolleyes: Oh bravo, bravo for showing some real class yourself.

Look idiot, it is a genuine query and a genuine question. I'm not denying the people died a horrible death and I'm certainly not playing that down or condoning it.

And actually I do plenty of useful things.

Geez what a tool.

Yeah I did say excluding those people ya know.....

Oh piss off. Don't make out that you're initiating a worthwile and interesting debate here. You're just looking to cause trouble and try to dishonour the dead, and to be honest it's a pretty patgetic excuse that you've used.

Show some ****ing class yourself and if you are gonna be a massive cock and disrespect the dead, at least choose to do it at a time when people won't be so sensitive about it. There could be people on here who's friends and loved ones died that day and you don't even have the decency to let them grieve in peace.

Dickhead.
I think 9/11 produced many heroes. As stated, of course the firefighters, as well as policeofficers, paramedics, and other emergency support. But then you have dozens, if not hundreds, of situations where people were brave by helping fellow human beings. We only heard the accounts of those people who survived, but I am sure there were many situations where hero or brave acts were made by those who did not survive. Also, for those souls who jumped out of the burning buildings. They were not cowards, but very brave for making such an unimaginable decision. I know some people are going to say that bravery doesn't equate to being a hero, but you can't argue with flight 93. On that flight the passengers fought back with the terrorists, and their actions meant that many more people didn't die where the plane was intending to hit, probably in Washington DC. Now, they are heroes to the extreme. Hundreds of more people could have died if not for them. But to be honest, I don't think people should start splitting hairs with the term used. 'Hero' is obviously used because it is a term that helps Americans grieve. And personally, using that term or similar terms helps be grieve too. Not that I lost anyone, but it is still an event that upset people all over the globe. The 3,000 people who died mustn't be forgotten.
Reply 56
Original post by Luis_Garcia
Oh piss off. Don't make out that you're initiating a worthwile and interesting debate here. You're just looking to cause trouble and try to dishonour the dead, and to be honest it's a pretty patgetic excuse that you've used.

:rolleyes: I'm not trying to dishonour the dead at all. There's nothing that suggests I am dishonouring them, I am simply asking why they are automatically given the title of "brave" by some.

It's a fair question and it shouldn't be out of bounds to ask even though it was inevitable that idiots like you would kick up a fuss.

There's no need to fuss, it's simply a question, a topic for debate. Not for trolling purposes and not especially made to insult the dead.

Here's an idea, if you don't like it, stay out of the thread.

There's a good chap.

Show some ****ing class yourself and if you are gonna be a massive cock and disrespect the dead, at least choose to do it at a time when people won't be so sensitive about it. There could be people on here who's friends and loved ones died that day and you don't even have the decency to let them grieve in peace.

Lol you tell me show some ****ing class but you tell me to piss off and call me a cock whilst over reacting to a simple question.
Plus you make numerous errors like suggesting I am disrespecting the dead, when I'm not.

Anyway when your quite finished throwing your toys out of the pram, go whine somewhere else

Dickhead.

Hypocrite :wink:
Original post by read_iqra
i think its just how America wants to honour them really

but one point needed to be made..
Since 9/11, America has killed around 1.3 million civilians in Iraq alone
and never have i seen that fact displayed in the news..
i rather not imagine the figure for deaths in other countries they invaded.. :/

I would like to see your evidence for this. Most of the deaths in Iraq are as the result of car bombs etc and fighting between the various 'tribes'. A large number of people have certainly died as a result of all the fighting BUT to claim" that America has killed around 1.3 million civilians" is simply wrong.
Reply 58
Original post by steve2005
I would like to see your evidence for this. Most of the deaths in Iraq are as the result of car bombs etc and fighting between the various 'tribes'. A large number of people have certainly died as a result of all the fighting BUT to claim" that America has killed around 1.3 million civilians" is simply wrong.

It's not even close to that number. The survey that put it at over a million was deeply flawed.
Reply 59
A person who follows the Abrahamic religions should not fear but embrace death. Unless your faith is wavering then you know you'll soon be in the presence of God Almighty :s-smilie:

this is not a question of faith nor is it of fear of death

this is a discussion on importance of a life. a life is a life no matter what race or religion and you cant excuse a death of certain people by saying they followed a certain religion.

murder is wrong no matter in which form

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending