The Student Room Group

Most underrated and overrated actors/actresses

Scroll to see replies

I think John Travolta is underrated. People see him as a bland Hollywood type, but his performance in Face/Off was very very good.
Original post by BaBaFiCo

Original post by BaBaFiCo
I think John Travolta is underrated. People see him as a bland Hollywood type, but his performance in Face/Off was very very good.

And Swordfish. He was really good in that.

I was going to say Liam Neeson as well. That man is a god.
underrated leighton meester (great at every scene), Helena bonham carter (not really unknown but how has she not won an oscar??) michael sheen ralph fiennes cillian murphy (wind tht shakes the barley)
Overrated blake lively, ok in the town but very overrated. Matthew mc conaughey, angelina jolie, brad pitt, jennifer aniston, julia roberts, sarah jessica parker, tom cruise, zac efron,
Reply 143
Original post by mikeylawson
Well more underappreciated I think. not in the US but over here he seems to be forgotten quite a bit. Inside Man is an absolute masterpiece but no one really remembers it.

Really? I find him overrated, if anything. He only seems to have one facial expression and his acting is often very wooden.
Reply 144
Original post by Uneschka
Really? I find him overrated, if anything. He only seems to have one facial expression and his acting is often very wooden.

He's the most wooden actor out there IMO. Funny though, Children of Men is one of my favourite films and it happens to have both him and Michael Caine in it :rolleyes:
Keira Knightley is overrated in my opinion. Underrated actors and actresses include Jim Broadbent, Imelda Staunton, Carey Mulligan.

Eric Cantona is not a bad actor, having seen the play he was in last year in Paris.
Reply 146
Original post by gazzab
He's the most wooden actor out there IMO. Funny though, Children of Men is one of my favourite films and it happens to have both him and Michael Caine in it :rolleyes:

He's up there with Keanu Reeves (who I have a soft spot for). I have to say I like Michael Caine, admittedly today he basically plays himself over and over again, but I loved him in 60s films like Alfie or Woman Times Seven.
Reply 147
Although he is very highly regarded, I would say Christian Bale is hugely underrated.

Denzel Washington is obviously enormously underrated.

Taylor Lautner is overrated in my opinion. Good looking guy, and he seems pretty down to earth, but the trailer for "Abduction"... My god

I really like Nicholas Cage, but he's had a few... moments ("howda geh burr'd? howda geh burr'd!??HOWDA GEH BURR'D HOWDA GEH BURR'D!!!?!?!")
Reply 148
I don't think either Christian Bale or Denzel Washington are underrated... everyone knows they're awesome :biggrin:

He's up there with Keanu Reeves (who I have a soft spot for). I have to say I like Michael Caine, admittedly today he basically plays himself over and over again, but I loved him in 60s films like Alfie or Woman Times Seven.

Yeah I do like Michael Caine, but as you say he doesn't seem to vary in character. I'm kinda indifferent to Keanu Reeves, I think he's a good actor but he's neither underrated nor overrated really.
Reply 149
Original post by gazzab

Yeah I do like Michael Caine, but as you say he doesn't seem to vary in character. I'm kinda indifferent to Keanu Reeves, I think he's a good actor but he's neither underrated nor overrated really.

Keanu Reeves is a pretty terrible actor imo, but somehow I find him very interesting as a person.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is also a bit underrated, but I'm guessing that's going to change with Inception and now 50/50. He's amazing.
Reply 150
Keanu Reeves is a pretty terrible actor imo, but somehow I find him very interesting as a person.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is also a bit underrated, but I'm guessing that's going to change with Inception and now 50/50. He's amazing.

I watched Inception for the first time the other night and recognised him, but I can't put my finger on what other films I've seen him in. I'm thinking some cheesy teen comedy or something, I dunno, but he was decent as was the film.

Inception's overrated though haha
Reply 151
Original post by gazzab
I watched Inception for the first time the other night and recognised him, but I can't put my finger on what other films I've seen him in. I'm thinking some cheesy teen comedy or something, I dunno, but he was decent as was the film.

Inception's overrated though haha

His role in Inception didn't require much acting, he can do much more than that. He has actually starred in a cheesy teen comedy (10 Things I hate about you, lol), but he's done other stuff too, (500) Days of Summer is probably best known.

Spoiler

Reply 152
Brick is very good, but I think Mysterious Skin is JGL's best performance. Disturbing and shocking film and he was amazing in it.
Reply 153
Original post by Sam_D
Brick is very good, but I think Mysterious Skin is JGL's best performance. Disturbing and shocking film and he was amazing in it.

I've been meaning to watch it, but I'm a bit scared tbh. How disturbing is it?

Have you seen Manic? He's great in that one too.
Reply 154
Original post by my9rides
Yeah same, I was going to say him before I thought of Will Ferrell. I mean, he's OK, but I really don't think he should be as highly regarded as he is. I just think he is a bit bland. Having said that, Entourage is epic.

Original post by chipskylark
I really don't like Mark Wahlberg :ashamed2:

Edit: wooow all the negativity, each to their own.

you women never seen the fighter?
Reply 155
Original post by mikeylawson
And Swordfish. He was really good in that.

I was going to say Liam Neeson as well. That man is a god.

Don't forget Pulp Fiction, one of the greatest films ever made :cool:
I'm gonna throw Brad Dourif into the underrated mix here, apologies if he's already been mentioned. Also Hugo Weaving, outstanding actor. Yes, yes I know, they do have LotR in common :tongue:.

Oh and of course, my main man Keanu! (Who sadly, was not in Lord of the Rings.)
Reply 157
Yeah the LOTR thing, I watched the trilogy the other day (I've had a lot of time on my hands) and it actually hit me how perfectly put together that film is. I couldn't find any flaw other than the cheesy slow-mo shots, which I'm guessing was a directorial decision. All of the actors deserve serious props, so I'll add Elijah Wood to my list. As cringeworthy as certain scenes were, the guy did a stellar job.
Strangely enough, my views on underrated and overrated actors can be summed up in the Pirates of the Caribbean films.

Overrated: Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley. I cannot bear either of them, in any film I've ever seen them in. Except Bend It Like Beckham, she's quite good in that.

Underrated: Johnny Depp. Okay, I know he's like, one of the most famous actors ever, but seriously - he's just SO good, I'm not sure he'll ever be fully appreciated :tongue:
Reply 159
Original post by LoveErinxo
Strangely enough, my views on underrated and overrated actors can be summed up in the Pirates of the Caribbean films.

Overrated: Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley. I cannot bear either of them, in any film I've ever seen them in. Except Bend It Like Beckham, she's quite good in that.

Domino? :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest