The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi I'm a TSR poster, I'm going to disregard the OP and win the argument with a ****ty anecdote. FFS.
Original post by dnumberwang
Hi I'm a TSR poster, I'm going to disregard the OP and win the argument with a ****ty anecdote. FFS.

Woah what is happening in your sig? :eek:
er he seems to be equating not being able to spell or do maths with being stupid.....which is ridiculous because there is such a broad spectrum in things which you can demonstrate intelligence for example creative intelligence, analytical intelligence etc...
altho i do reckon that there is a question that if people arent able to do the work they shoudlnt be at uni....but thats a different issue, i think dyslexia is important as a term, because there's reasons for why people cant spell, and its important people can understand reasons why so they can try different approaches and so that it doesnt hinder what they are capable of.
This kid at school took too long to do exams so they just gave him extra time to write the exam and called it some kind if difficulty. I can't help thinking we label people retrospectively just to promote our over equal society. Maybe some people have a legitimate problem but one in ten is far too high. Also my mates brother got a free laptop which ****s me off.
Reply 144
I've had bad spelling and hand writing since I was young. I have never gone to get diagnosed and may possibly be classed as dyslexic. Some people are good at maths some aren't some are good at reading some aren't that's just life. It's also interesting to see that being bad at english is frowned upon yet being bad at maths is fine. We put a label on one party yet being bad at the other is fine?

I have a friend who while at university had a classmate use her dyslexia to get another chance on coursework. Since when is coursework in which you have unlimited time effected by dyslexia. There are tools which people use to help them like spell checkers or maybe a calculator for those bad at maths. I have a question if a large proportion of children are naturally bad at maths and have difficulty adding and subtracting should they get extra time in a maths exam?
Reply 145
Original post by kerily
This. I actually wish I hadn't bothered reading any of this thread; I actually have autism and know a variety of dyslexic people/dyspraxic people/people with dyscalculia/etc, none of which are milking the system. It must be lovely for totally able people who can sit there and mock those who are less fortunate, I'm sure, but it really takes the biscuit that they feel the urge to do so.

But what about those who also have problems say in their spelling and neatness of their hand writing yet don't get go on and get classed as dyslexic like myself (I used to be put in the special group in primary school :tongue:). I may have certain problems yet I'm questioning the authenticity of labelling of such people. Some people stuggle at certain things in life you get on with it try to improve etc.

It might even be a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy some get labelled with dyslexia and think it's fine to continue being bad at xyz and don't try and improve themselves. I've found my english skills have got better as I got older but to be honest I have never really sat down properly and gone through a word list of words I misspell often writing them out, writing them in sentences etc.
I think it's unfair to deny that some people have a genuine problem with dyslexia. The main issue I take with this is the underlying implication that people who are naturally unintelligent deserve our contempt - why should they? It's not their fault. Ideally, it shouldn't matter whether you have the dyslexic label or not, you should get what help you need. In my school, in S6, you can volunteer to give up one free period to go into a bottom maths set in S1-4 and help out. I have no idea whether the third-years I'm helping are dyslexic or not, but I know they need help with their maths, so I'm happy to help them.
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
Woah what is happening in your sig? :eek:

The muse fan is being destroyed :colone:
Reply 148
Original post by derangedyoshi
I think it's unfair to deny that some people have a genuine problem with dyslexia. The main issue I take with this is the underlying implication that people who are naturally unintelligent deserve our contempt - why should they? It's not their fault. Ideally, it shouldn't matter whether you have the dyslexic label or not, you should get what help you need. In my school, in S6, you can volunteer to give up one free period to go into a bottom maths set in S1-4 and help out. I have no idea whether the third-years I'm helping are dyslexic or not, but I know they need help with their maths, so I'm happy to help them.

I don't think people necessarily deny that some people are worse at some things. Yes those who are under achieving should get more help and those doing well pushed to do better. But should those who aren't good get unfair advantages to the normal student. At the end of the day you will be competing with the rest of the student population when getting a job and if you don't do well no ones going to give you a lift up the ladder (Unless you have contacts I guess :tongue:)
Reply 149
Original post by LowRider
But what about those who also have problems say in their spelling and neatness of their hand writing yet don't get go on and get classed as dyslexic like myself (I used to be put in the special group in primary school :tongue:). I may have certain problems yet I'm questioning the authenticity of labelling of such people. Some people stuggle at certain things in life you get on with it try to improve etc.

It might even be a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy some get labelled with dyslexia and think it's fine to continue being bad at xyz and don't try and improve themselves. I've found my english skills have got better as I got older but to be honest I have never really sat down properly and gone through a word list of words I misspell often writing them out, writing them in sentences etc.

Yeah, but if you just have problems with neatness and spelling which can fix themselves, you won't get a dyslexia diagnosis. Granted I've only been through the autism diagnosis process, but the fact remains that it takes so much damned effort to get a diagnosis of a learning difficulty, and you spend so much time with a psychiatrist/psychologist, that I would be stunned if anyone managed to get a false diagnosis - mainly because you can only even get time with these people if you fully believe you would benefit from a diagnosis, so they're not going to coerce some random child who's just a bit bad at spelling into going through the process.

Dyslexia isn't just about problems with spelling and neatness, anyway - it's also about problems with organisation, acquiring speech, acquiring written language, understanding phonemes, and having a concept of time. I would strongly suspect you have to tick more than just the 'bad spelling' and the 'not neat' box to actually be diagnosed.
Reply 150
Original post by kerily
Yeah, but if you just have problems with neatness and spelling which can fix themselves, you won't get a dyslexia diagnosis. Granted I've only been through the autism diagnosis process, but the fact remains that it takes so much damned effort to get a diagnosis of a learning difficulty, and you spend so much time with a psychiatrist/psychologist, that I would be stunned if anyone managed to get a false diagnosis - mainly because you can only even get time with these people if you fully believe you would benefit from a diagnosis, so they're not going to coerce some random child who's just a bit bad at spelling into going through the process.

Dyslexia isn't just about problems with spelling and neatness, anyway - it's also about problems with organisation, acquiring speech, acquiring written language, understanding phonemes, and having a concept of time. I would strongly suspect you have to tick more than just the 'bad spelling' and the 'not neat' box to actually be diagnosed.

Who's to say those who were diagnosed with dyslexia haven't improved in neatness and spelling as they got older as people normally do. Who said I was a bit bad at spelling I could flip this and say some dyslexics are just a bit bad at spelling also. I doubt every dyslexic person has all the above mentioned problems, seems more like a broad description pushing me more to think its a broad generalisation to cover a wide variety of people with the same name. We are not here to discuss other learning difficulties
Reply 151
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
An awful lot of people from my college who were "disslecksic", as they would say, seemed to just be complete dolts.

There was not a single person who claimed to be dyslexic who got even half decent grades. I don't doubt that a great deal of people are simply pretending to have something medically wrong with them in order to cover up their lack of ability and laziness.

my mates dyslexic and currently studying at Oxford, so there is someone for you
Sorry but i have a dyslexic friend, he is really clever getting A's and B's and is not stupid, quite the opposite really. sorry OP but no your thread is irrelevant.
Original post by LowRider
I don't think people necessarily deny that some people are worse at some things. Yes those who are under achieving should get more help and those doing well pushed to do better. But should those who aren't good get unfair advantages to the normal student. At the end of the day you will be competing with the rest of the student population when getting a job and if you don't do well no ones going to give you a lift up the ladder (Unless you have contacts I guess :tongue:)

I don't think they should get unfair advantages eg free laptops as some in this thread have mentioned. I do however think that, certainly in secondary schools, there should be revision classes, mentoring programmes and lots of extra help available to those who are struggling - and these should be available regardless of whether a person has been labelled "dyslexic".
Reply 154
I think dyslexia is a geniune problem, but some people just cant spell and read because they never learned, and just use dyslexia as an excuse :P

I'd rather have someone who would tell me they genuinely cant spell, or not any good with spelling

Original post by ah.meh
my mates dyslexic and currently studying at Oxford, so there is someone for you

Original post by saberahmed786
Sorry but i have a dyslexic friend, he is really clever getting A's and B's and is not stupid, quite the opposite really. sorry OP but no your thread is irrelevant.

when I was in high school at 13, I used to be really good at maths and physics and fail spelling tests in English... Just because they're good at one subject doesnt necessarily mean they should be able to spell. Afterall language is a different subject all together... He could be very intelligent and still fail at spelling doesnt necessarily mean he's dyslexic... not saying that he isnt.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dialetheism
I want to point out the following fact. English is a schizophrenic language in that there is a huge discrepancy between how words are written and how words are pronounced, and when facing a new written word, there is usually no rule to know how it should be pronounced. That can confuse the brain.

Some personal anecdotes. My first language is not English. I've been living in the UK for years though, and I can tell that the more fluent I've become in English, somehow the more 'dyslexic' I've become (especially when writing). I know two properly bilingual people who have no problem of any kind in my native language, but are classified as dyslexic when it comes to English. And they're both quite intelligent and cultivated.

I suspect that dyslexia has something to do with the English language, not the people. (How many non-english speaking dyslexics are there? Does anyone have any numbers/figures?)

I went to a public lecture on this at Reading University. Dyslexia barely exists in Germany (figures are far lower) as the connection between written and spoken is a lot easier. English, as you say, has too many ways of saying each written sound, and too many ways of writing each sound you say. E.g. the sound "ay" can be made using /ay/, /a_e/ (eg made), /ai/ and many more. Likewise, the written grapheme "ch" can be pronounced /ch/ (church), /c/ (choir), or /sh/ (chef).
Like you say, English is a particuarly bad language for it. I believe in Japanese and Chinese it is unheard of, because there is no correlation between written and spoken language.

A few facts about dyslexia though - it's not just being thick. In order to get a diagnosis of dyslexia, one must have a reading ability significantly below that expected for their age and intelligence. Therefore, if one was just thick, they'd be expected to just not read well, therefore cannot get a diagnosis. It's like trying to say someone is anorexic when they are of normal weight - it's a diagnosic feature. Dyslexia tests probably are easy to "fake" in order to get extra funding - but I doubt many children would be able to do this.

I agree with extra funding being unfair. A number of my friends got through school, got reasonable A levels and got in to uni, before being diagnosed. At which point, free laptop! My attitude is if they got to uni with no help, why do they suddenly need it now? Fair enough if they've had help all the way through school, but if it's only diagnosed at uni I think it's a bit different.
I think some of the controversy associated with dyslexia arises because we are hanging onto a false concept - that of a single attribute, 'intelligence', which covers a multitude of different abilities. In my opinion, it's perfectly possible to have strengths in some intellectual areas and weaknesses in others. If intelligence was a single entity, your abilities in one area (eg spelling) would invariably be strongly correlated with your abilities in others (eg spatial sense, spotting patterns, long-term memory etc) - as far as I'm aware this is not the case. Where people are not good at reading/writing tasks, this typically gets labelled a dyslexia.

I do get the impression that people would rather be labelled 'dyslexic' rather than 'thick', irrespective of how specific their problems are to reading/writing. But I don't think people's desire to be labelled with a certain diagnosis should affect whether we acknowledge the existence of that condition.

Some 'dyslexic' people are definitely highly intelligent in other respects. Some aren't. I know some very bright people who are crap at spelling and cock up reading long words, and I also know some utter morons who can spell perfectly.

Dyslexia is a huge category and some practitioners will apply the term to a huge proportion of the population, whereas others are very strict. It might be more useful to have a detailed summary of strengths and weaknesses for each student, but realistically that sort of nuanced approach causes confusion with institutions which just need a quick and easy label to apply.
Unfortunatly there are a small majority of people who milk the system, and just get a diagnosis for extra time or a laptop etc.
I've just finished a masters and am dyslexic and dyspraxic, i have never used it as an excuse have always tried my best worked really hard at uni and overcome many difficulties I had when I was younger. Being dyslexic isnt just about being bad at spelling/reading and being dyspraxic isnt just about being clumsy, just as being on the autistic spectrum isnt just poor social skills. It effects things like short term memory, organisation. Just because you get a diagnosis of a condition doesnt mean you automatically get extra help I didnt get any help at primary school. I dont see it being over diagnosed and im a teaching assistant and have worked in quite a few primary schools. If people are entitled to extra help they should get it just the same as if people need glasses they should get it or a hearing aid. I reccomend you watch Kara Tointons documentery dont call me stupid.
we live in an increasingly ****ed up, stupid society, so it's not really surprising that we produce increasingly ****ed up, stupid kids.
Surely the fraud thing is to do with the DSA system? You'll always get people milking it. My former housemate was dyslexic, but the only equipment he got was a dictation machine for use in lectures. Not a MacBook or anything like that. But obviously you'll get some fraudsters in the system, I'm sure of it.

Dyslexia is a real condition, no doubt. But there probably is a massive misdiagnosis problem, which tells me the tests need to more rigerous and not allow people to claim to have a "disability" when they don't. It's infuriating for people like me who DO have serious problems and have to be tarred with the same brush as fraudsters.

Latest