Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in for personalised advice on applying to uni New here? Join for free to post

University Transfer FAQ

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patrick okeeffe)
    Hi

Hi I'm a mature student on a music degree course and I have successfully finished the first year. I have been offered a place at another university after passing an audition. At the time of the interview/audition the course leader told me that I would be accepted onto the second year of his course provided that I complete the first year successfully. I also needed to go through the UCAS system but this would be a formality. All this was done before clearing. Unfortunately my academic referee from my first course went on holiday without doing my reference, so I had to get another tutor to do i by which time clearing had kicked in.

Worried, I contacted UCAS and they assured me that provided I complete the UCAS process and notify the admissions office of the new college there would be no problem. This I duly did. The course leader of the new course sent an email to myself and the admissions office confirming my place on the course.

Yesterday I received an email from the admissions department saying
    " unfortunately Starting in year 1 would not show academic progresssion which is the requirement for The Tier 4 visa,Therefore we cannot admit this student to year 1.

Ive emailed back as this is completely baffling to me. I've no idea what tier 4 visa means and I understood I would be going into year 2.

If this constitutes a rejection, where do I stand as I've told my old course I'm leaving and I'd be heart broken not to get onto this new course?
    Tier 4 visa is an issue for international students - in order to fulfil visa requirements you have to keep moving through a course - you can't re-start without re-applying for a new visa.

In your case it sounds like your application ended up on the wrong desk at your new uni. Give them a ring ASAP, explain that you're applying for yr 2 entry and were told that the UCAS form was a formality as long as you passed yr 1 at your current uni (and that your application was delayed waiting for a reference from your current uni).

Ask them what they want you to do in order to fulfil the formalities via UCAS. They'll probably just ask you to re-refer yourself through clearing

Don't worry - it's a busy time of year and it sounds like a geniune mistake. Phone up and take names and you should be fine
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello Guys, I am just here saying that my transfer has being sorted and I am paying the current fee of £3365.

Thanks for the advice on this thread
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.
    Im looking in to tranferring my 3rd year, wondered if anyone has any advice. I travel to my current uni every day, which is a pain, and there is a university that offers my same course where I live. Especially with current cost of living and outgoings (rent with partner and have a 1 year old) it would help me out to cut my travel. I did originally apply to hometown uni but was not accepted (have no A levels, started uni at 25 with nvq's (personal training q's) in my subject, Sports Science). Hence having to choose a different university, as they accepted me...even though they have higher entry req and a better course? Wierd..
    Anyways I am taking a 1st through to 3rd year so was hoping this would negate the previous entry requirement problem. Any thoughts or help?
    • 79 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10Trix)
    Hi guys.
    Im looking in to tranferring my 3rd year, wondered if anyone has any advice. I travel to my current uni every day, which is a pain, and there is a university that offers my same course where I live. Especially with current cost of living and outgoings (rent with partner and have a 1 year old) it would help me out to cut my travel. I did originally apply to hometown uni but was not accepted (have no A levels, started uni at 25 with nvq's (personal training q's) in my subject, Sports Science). Hence having to choose a different university, as they accepted me...even though they have higher entry req and a better course? Wierd..
    Anyways I am taking a 1st through to 3rd year so was hoping this would negate the previous entry requirement problem. Any thoughts or help?
    Many unis won't let you transfer into 3rd year anyway, as they like you to do most of their undergrad with them. So that may be a problem. Then for transfers you're usually looking at meeting the normal entry requirements anyway.

Contact the uni and ask, but don't get your hopes up too much.
    • 84 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by triumphanttri)
    Hi,
    I was supposed to go Leicester to do law (llb) but did'nt get the grades (AAA) so I am going to start my first year in september elsewhere.
    I was wondering whether I would be able to transfer after my first year and would I have to get a first class or would a 2:1 be okay?
    Furthermore would they concentrate much on my a-levels.?

Please answer as I would love to graduate in leicester
    You will need to contact them and ask the above :yes:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Would I be able to transfer if I get a first in my first year for english lit? will my a levels be looked upon a lot?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trottoir)
    Would I be able to transfer if I get a first in my first year for english lit? will my a levels be looked upon a lot?
    Yh, start contacting with Unis
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a mature student (23 years old) studying Philosophy and Psychology with the Open University and I want to transfer to a brick university in my second year but I don't have Alevels or GCSE's.
    Could I still transfer with 120 credits from OU or is that impossible without Alevels?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexkol)
    Yh, start contacting with Unis
    i havent started yet, but im just wondering if getting a first can override bad a levels.
    • 84 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trottoir)
    i havent started yet, but im just wondering if getting a first can override bad a levels.
    It can do, but often won't. Obviously the better you do the better your case for acceptance though.
    • 84 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkiee)
    Hello Guys, I am just here saying that my transfer has being sorted and I am paying the current fee of £3365.

Thanks for the advice on this thread
    Awesome

(Original post by ELM89)
    Hi, I'm a mature student (23 years old) studying Philosophy and Psychology with the Open University and I want to transfer to a brick university in my second year but I don't have Alevels or GCSE's.
    Could I still transfer with 120 credits from OU or is that impossible without Alevels?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
    It certainly isn't impossible but this is something you will have to discuss directly with universities as policy will differ quite a lot.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    @Paddy_power ok will do, thanks.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm transfering but I've already enrolled with my previous uni. Will this be a problem??
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ai91)
    I'm transfering but I've already enrolled with my previous uni. Will this be a problem??
    Contact them asap and fill a withdrawal form !
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been at university for two years, in my second year I had extenuating circumstances that caused me to fail. My university are allowing me to retake year 2 of my course (for free), however I still want to transfer.

I want to repeat the second year of the degree at a different university.

Would I still pay the old lower tuition fees, or the new higher fees?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can you transfer from a foundation course to first year of another uni? and would the uni look at A level grades?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samlike25)
    Can you transfer from a foundation course to first year of another uni? and would the uni look at A level grades?
    Of course you can transfer
    Well it depends on the Uni...Some Unis want you to have passed their 1st year entry requirements, but you have to contact the specific Unis u r interested in for more secure information...Good luck
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BreakStuff)
    I've been at university for two years, in my second year I had extenuating circumstances that caused me to fail. My university are allowing me to retake year 2 of my course (for free), however I still want to transfer.

I want to repeat the second year of the degree at a different university.

Would I still pay the old lower tuition fees, or the new higher fees?
    That's for the uni to decide. I have heard of cases where the unis have insisted on the new rate even for students transferring in from courses where they are paying the old rate.

I must say that if your current uni is letting you retake the year and is not charging you, that is not something to cast aside without good reason.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I posted a while ago about my options with regards to fees when transferring uni, and was hoping someone could offer me some more advice.

I am intending to be returning to study from a medical leave of absence in Septemeber 2013. I also did not like my course so would be wanting to change this. I have spoken to staff within my current university (Sheffield) who have said that if I returned in September 2013, and changed my course I would be on the old fees.
    Now I have investigated the course I want to study (English) but the course at Sheffield just doesn't really appeal to me. I have, however, found English courses at other universities which do appeal to me much more.

My question is, if I were to transfer for September 2013 entry into English at an alternative university, would I be liable for the 9k tuition fee, or the old ones?

Thank you
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crowsy)
    I posted a while ago about my options with regards to fees when transferring uni, and was hoping someone could offer me some more advice.

I am intending to be returning to study from a medical leave of absence in Septemeber 2013. I also did not like my course so would be wanting to change this. I have spoken to staff within my current university (Sheffield) who have said that if I returned in September 2013, and changed my course I would be on the old fees.
    Now I have investigated the course I want to study (English) but the course at Sheffield just doesn't really appeal to me. I have, however, found English courses at other universities which do appeal to me much more.

My question is, if I were to transfer for September 2013 entry into English at an alternative university, would I be liable for the 9k tuition fee, or the old ones?

Thank you
    You should be considered as a returning/transfering student, so you should pay 3k, but better ask the specific University...you have plenty of time to do so

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 30, 2014
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.