The Student Room Group

University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 700
Original post by Superwoman
I'm transferring from my uni so I'm filling out the UCAS application form but I'm stuck! I put down the name of the uni but I have no idea what to select as the qualification and where do I state which course I'm doing and the modules?? thanks!
Select 'other' and then enter the details as appropriate.
Reply 701
Unfortunately I applied too late for a 2nd year transfer, so I'm wondering: is it realistic to transfer on your 3rd year?

I plan to contact universities soon about this but I'd like to know if anyone here has managed to. Thanks :smile:
Reply 702
Original post by Ruin.
Unfortunately I applied too late for a 2nd year transfer, so I'm wondering: is it realistic to transfer on your 3rd year?

I plan to contact universities soon about this but I'd like to know if anyone here has managed to. Thanks :smile:

Yeah, it might happen, but you should see how your degree will look like (50-50) and if it is better to repeat Year 2 in your other Uni :smile:
Reply 703
Original post by Ruin.

A lot of unis want you to do most of your degree with them. There's also less chance of the modules matching what you would have taken. It's possible, but unlikely.
I have a question :smile: I firmed Queen Mary this year and had Brunel as my insurance choice, unfortunately I didn't get the grades for Queen Mary by I did for Brunel, so now I'm attending Brunel. However, I live extremely far away but would rather live at home than move into halls, Queen Mary is only about 15 minutes from where I live whereas Brunel is about 90 minutes. Is it possible for my to pass my first year at Brunel and request a transfer to Queen Mary at the end of the year? Brunel is currently number 41 in the league tables and Queen Mary is 42 if that makes a difference. Thanks :smile:
Reply 705
Original post by ellwilts2012
I have a question :smile: I firmed Queen Mary this year and had Brunel as my insurance choice, unfortunately I didn't get the grades for Queen Mary by I did for Brunel, so now I'm attending Brunel. However, I live extremely far away but would rather live at home than move into halls, Queen Mary is only about 15 minutes from where I live whereas Brunel is about 90 minutes. Is it possible for my to pass my first year at Brunel and request a transfer to Queen Mary at the end of the year? Brunel is currently number 41 in the league tables and Queen Mary is 42 if that makes a difference. Thanks :smile:

Well, it is always possible to transfer to another Uni, you better ask Queen Mary if they will allow you, because there might not be a module match :smile:
Reply 706
This is a bit of a strange question but..

I did 1 year of a chemistry degree from 2006-2007. I asked a uni recently about starting the second year and they said the fees would be £9k per year, is that right or should it be £3k?
Reply 707
Original post by rich001
This is a bit of a strange question but..

I did 1 year of a chemistry degree from 2006-2007. I asked a uni recently about starting the second year and they said the fees would be £9k per year, is that right or should it be £3k?

Yes, because you dropped out of the course you have to pay 9k, unfortunately =/
What time of year is best to enquire about a transfer? When is it too late to set the whole thing in motion?
Reply 709
Original post by bestofyou
What time of year is best to enquire about a transfer? When is it too late to set the whole thing in motion?

Start asking the Unis asap and you can tell you personal tutor, whenever you want.
It's never late, some Unis accept applications until July for 2nd year transfers, but others may not accept after Ucas deadline for applications, you have to ask!
Reply 710
I’m currently doing English Literature at a less than desirable university, I won’t say which because I don’t want to offend anyone. I came here from America and didn’t really know that where I was attending was so poorly ranked. I completed my high school education in the u.s, so I didn’t do British a levels but I did the u.s equivalent getting AAA. What would my chances be of transferring to a lets say top twenty university in the second year?. I have duel nationality so I don’t have any visa issues.
Reply 711
Original post by JD-19
I’m currently doing English Literature at a less than desirable university, I won’t say which because I don’t want to offend anyone. I came here from America and didn’t really know that where I was attending was so poorly ranked. I completed my high school education in the u.s, so I didn’t do British a levels but I did the u.s equivalent getting AAA. What would my chances be of transferring to a lets say top twenty university in the second year?. I have duel nationality so I don’t have any visa issues.

Nobody can tell you, because it depends on the uni you go to and how compatible their first year is with the one you've completed. If it's a much lower ranked uni you're currently attending your chances won't be good, but even if it's higher ranked the work you do needs to be similar to the work you should have done.

You'll need to contact some unis that you want to transfer to and see what they say.
Reply 712
Original post by Juno
Nobody can tell you, because it depends on the uni you go to and how compatible their first year is with the one you've completed. If it's a much lower ranked uni you're currently attending your chances won't be good, but even if it's higher ranked the work you do needs to be similar to the work you should have done.

You'll need to contact some unis that you want to transfer to and see what they say.

I've sent some emails with my info. I have the grades for the entry requirements at the uni's i want to go to.. perhaps I will have to repeat year one, if they decide I cant do year two with them. Thank you for the reply :smile:.

EDIT

I got a reply from queens...

''Thank you for your email enquiring about transferring to the BA Honours degree in English at Queen’s University Belfast. We should be grateful if you would provide us with full details of all your academic qualifications to date, including copy certificates/official transcripts. Please also confirm your full name and provide us with a postal address.

We look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.''

Guess its not an outright no which is somewhat promising. Intrigued as to why they asked for transcripts so early, I thought theoretically its quite awhile until I can secure a place for the second year, guess they just want to make sure I'm eligible for admission as u.s high school grades are murky unless you do advanced pathways.
Hi there

For a variety of reasons Im not really enjoying my time in my current university and my plan for the second year is to transfer on to a similar course being offered

But their is one possible stubling block however, Im currently on a joint honors course and the course I wish to transfer too is a single honors, It would be ideal for me to be able to transfer straight on to the second year, but honestly I would not mind starting at the first year should I need too.

How would I best be able to explain to the admissions deptartment of the university I wish to transfer too regarding this scenario.

According to their website, They do consider transfer students for courses
Thanks for reading
Reply 714
Original post by DC-Complexity
Hi there

For a variety of reasons Im not really enjoying my time in my current university and my plan for the second year is to transfer on to a similar course being offered

But their is one possible stubling block however, Im currently on a joint honors course and the course I wish to transfer too is a single honors, It would be ideal for me to be able to transfer straight on to the second year, but honestly I would not mind starting at the first year should I need too.

How would I best be able to explain to the admissions deptartment of the university I wish to transfer too regarding this scenario.

Thanks for reading
It's rather early days to be deciding against your current uni - a lot changes after Christmas, in my experience, and it's also worth remembering that the first year of many courses can be a bit dreary while everyone is brought up to the same level. However, if you really want to investigate the possibility of transferring next year, there's nothing to stop you from contacting the admissions tutor for the course and uni you are interested in and sounding them out. There may be issues of compatibility between your current course and theirs, and if you have any module choices in this first year it's as well to know if one choice rather than another would put you in a better position. Starting all over again is a possibility of course, but it would be in your interests anyway to ensure that you achieve a good pass this year, if you are going to see it out.
Can someone tell me how exactly I apply through UCAS for a transfer? It's been a while since I've used it! Do I need to get references and everything again?
Thanks
Original post by danielharris627
Can someone tell me how exactly I apply through UCAS for a transfer? It's been a while since I've used it! Do I need to get references and everything again?
Thanks

Hi,

You need to make an account and sign up.
Input all your qualificiations.
Input your chosen university/degree choices choices, you can choose upto 5. You then put point of entry 2 or whatever to determine what year you wish to go into.
You will then need to input a personal statement.
You will then need to put in details of a referree, your application then gets sent to them to fill in.
You are informed when they have filled in your reference, you then pay for your application and it gets sent off.

Unless a university has given you an informal offer first though I would highly suggest contacting your chosen universities. I had much greater success with receiving offers when I had contacted the uni first and gone for interview.
Original post by DC-Complexity
Hi there

Thanks for reading

It IS possible to transfer to single honours but this will depend on your chosen university. I transferred from a joint honours in my first year to a second year at a differnt uni in single honours.

I would begin by sending an email to the admissions department of your chosen university. Give them 2 weeks to respond. If they haven't responded then I would give them a ring and see what they suggest.

If possible ask for the course leaders contact details to get more information about the course. This is how I managed to get on my course as I popped in and had an informal interview with the course leader and got my offer the next day.

No one can tell you how you feel, but be aware that often 'the grass is always greener' comes into approach when transferring universities. If I would you I would find the information you need now, but don't set your heart on a decision until after christmas.
Original post by snufkin_
Hi,

You need to make an account and sign up.
Input all your qualificiations.
Input your chosen university/degree choices choices, you can choose upto 5. You then put point of entry 2 or whatever to determine what year you wish to go into.
You will then need to input a personal statement.
You will then need to put in details of a referree, your application then gets sent to them to fill in.
You are informed when they have filled in your reference, you then pay for your application and it gets sent off.

Unless a university has given you an informal offer first though I would highly suggest contacting your chosen universities. I had much greater success with receiving offers when I had contacted the uni first and gone for interview.

Thank you. Who would you recommend I put as my reference? My personal tutor, or my school? Baring in mind I finished school over 2years ago.
Original post by danielharris627
Thank you. Who would you recommend I put as my reference? My personal tutor, or my school? Baring in mind I finished school over 2years ago.

Personal tutor, always.

I didn't have a personal tutor at my first university so used a seminar tutor I got along well with. I just mentioned it to him during one seminar and he said he would do one. However, if it's anything like mine be prepared to wait a while for a reference once you apply for one so I would ask in plenty of time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending