The Student Room Group

Suggest me a good book to read

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
most fiction is entirely ****. read non-fiction. stop living in your head and make yourself better.
Reply 981
Original post by jamie.p
most fiction is entirely ****. read non-fiction. stop living in your head and make yourself better.

Reading fiction and non-fiction is not mutually exclusive - both serve different and over-lapping purposes.

I take it you don't watch (fictional) Films and TV shows?
Reply 982
Original post by Paper Moon
The Hunger Games! I just finished reading the first book and it is amazing! Touching, thought-provoking, deep, and yes, very action packed and thrilling.

Every step of the way I questioned my own humanity and morals... I came to love the characters.

Amazing books, I second this reccomendation :biggrin: The characters are brilliant.
Original post by Paper Moon
The Hunger Games! I just finished reading the first book and it is amazing! Touching, thought-provoking, deep, and yes, very action packed and thrilling.

Every step of the way I questioned my own humanity and morals... I came to love the characters.

aahhh loved that series!!
it was really scary at times and really gives you a new point of view, but the plot is AMAZING too
hopefully the film theyre gonna make wont ruin it...

and dont know if these are too babyish, but i also loved the chronicles of ancient darkness, mortal engines, and the power of five...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 984
Original post by Aliiiceh
Three of my favourite authors! I have so many of Jodi Picoult's books and I just keep re-reading them, I always cry through My Sister's Keeper.

And I agree, The Godfather book is so much better than the film! So glad I read it before watching the film!

Have you read Digital Fortress by Dan Brown? I actually preferred it to The Da Vinci Code.

the one annoying thing about TSR - i dont get emails to let me know i was quoted :tongue:

Digital Fortress is on my books to read list as soon as my exams are finished next friday.:smile: i've actually made a list of books i must read and movies i must see:smile:

one day when i get my own home...i'm converting a room in to my own library :tongue: j.picoult will have her own dedicated shelf :biggrin:
A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khalid Hosseini (must read)
The Kite Runner - Khalid Hosseini
To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult
The Pact - Jodi Picoult
Veronika Decides To Die - Paulo Coelho
Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden

Fine...I may have gotten a little too excited :tongue:

Also, do consider reading the Harry Potter series and The Chronicles of Narnia if you haven't already! :cool:
Reply 986
Original post by sumsam
the one annoying thing about TSR - i dont get emails to let me know i was quoted :tongue:

Digital Fortress is on my books to read list as soon as my exams are finished next friday.:smile: i've actually made a list of books i must read and movies i must see:smile:

one day when i get my own home...i'm converting a room in to my own library :tongue: j.picoult will have her own dedicated shelf :biggrin:

I don't either :P

Haha I've said exactly the same thing about a library when I have my own place! My current bookcase has a shelf just for Jodi Picoult :biggrin:
Reply 987
One Day by David Nicholls

It's an amazing book!
Reply 988
try carl hiassen or christopher brookmyre or janet evanovich, good crime novels which also have the ability to make you lol :smile:
Reply 989
Sandra Brown - Ricochet.
Reply 990
The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.

It's not too long or heavy going, just a nice coming of age novel... and it's being made into a film with Emma Watson in!
Reply 992
Dean Koontz. It's not always crime, but it is awesome :smile:
Reply 993
Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk
Neuromancer - William Gibson
The Great Gatsby - F. S. Fitzgerald

Probably my three most favourite books at the moment. :smile:
not crime, but robyn young has just done a trilogy based on the crusades, although there is a lot of crime in it. and my fav is magician by raymond e. feist. not dissimilar to lord of the rings, but far better
Im looking for inspiration,something deep, something that I will learn from. Last Book I read was The Secret by Rhonda Byron. Can be fiction, philosophical,anything really,anything you felt inspired by, that deeply touched you.
i really dont know any books like that but if you get the chance, watch the film dead poets society if you havent already...amazing watch, definitely was a turning point in my life after watching it but i guess it depends who you are:h: seriously tho, watch it:biggrin:
Crime and Punishment :smile:
Reply 998
Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray

It's about the nature of art and sin.
Biff and Chip - The Magic Key

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending