The Student Room Group

Imperial Postgraduate Applications 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cyco
There's a lot of funding floating around, and it varies from supervisor to supervisor. As my supervisor is also part of the STFC (government science agency) he managed to get half of my funding from there, with the other half coming through college itself. A high majority of people who want to do a PhD are able to get funding. Let your prospective supervisor know you're interested as soon as possible, and they may be able to snag some funding for you earlier in the year.

That said, funding for straight PhDs is decreasing, and more is being put into DTCs/CDTs.
They are 4 year courses that involve getting you an MRes (or equivalent) and then you do your PhD. The thing is, all 4 years are funded as if you were a PhD student (£300pw), including the masters. I know a couple of people who did BSc->MSc->MRes->PhD as it's the only way they could get funding do to their PhDs...... These MRes courses involve lectures still, so it puts some people off.

Thanks for the wise words, I will do that.

I know DTP's are increasing across the country, but it is so difficult to get onto one. I have been trying and have not had success. Too competitive, sought-after and my profile not strong enough (I have a first and research lab work experience :s-smilie:). So, I've decided to go the MRes then PhD route. Taught MSc's won't suite me.

I know the MRes I signed up for, has a grant writing element, but everything else is research lab-based (2 x 5.5 month projects). Assessments is only for the grant writing exercise (pass/fail - doesn't add to overall aggregate mark) and the two projects (50% each). I think that's the breakdown. Obviously, there'll be graduate skills training (journal clubs, technical workshops, seminars, etc.) but no formal modules to attend and complete. Which is why I went for it.

I think it will be easier to get a PhD, as an existing student and hopefully take full advantage of the networking possibilities. Well that's what I hope. :biggrin:.

What you've said sounds encouraging and I'm starting to feel I made the right choice.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 581
Original post by VENIVIDIVICI
:cool: my fellow Imperialite :smile:...I can see where this is going. Happy days!

Haha, maybe...:smile:
Reply 582
Cyco,

What a great post, thank you so much for taking the time to write it.
It has helped me to see things from a new, clearer perspective and I've got to tell you it sounds like my kind of place...

Cheers!
Reply 583
1/11 will Start the admissions?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by virtsou
1/11 will Start the admissions?

:confused:
:wink: Well done you. Many congratulations :biggrin:.

Its funny that for most masters courses, Imperial stipulates a minimum of a 2.1, but most people that I've spoken to that have offers for this autumn, the conditions were to get a first. Just shows how competitive it is to get into ICL.

I wonder how many people with 2.1's got offers.

What's your course?

Cheers! And sorry for the late reply.

I'm not sure how many of the courses require a first.. Maybe they're quite flexible if you don't get one.

I've applied for the Advanced Computing MSc.

I just hope I can handle the course. Don't really know what it's going to be like until you start it. :s
(edited 11 years ago)
:biggrin:. We should!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Covenant Chris
Cheers! And sorry for the late reply.

I'm not sure how many of the courses require a first.. Maybe they're quite flexible if you don't get one.

I've applied for the Advanced Computing MSc.

I just hope I can handle the course. Don't really know what it's going to be like until you start it. :s

:cool:. I think we all kinda nervous about starting our courses...I hear the motto at Imperial is: Work hard, Play hard...We are going to have to knuckle-down when it matters and chill whenever we get a chance :wink:.
Haha...you rite :rolleyes:
Guys/Gals,

When are you all planning on paying your tuition fees? And how are you paying (instalments, one-off payment, scholarship/bursary, credit card, debit card, cash in a briefcase :eek:, etc)?

I know it has to be paid by the 1 Sept (that's what was on my invoice anyway).

Thx
Original post by skyliner
Haha, maybe...:smile:

Did you have a good weekend mate? Any news?
Good luck with the scholarship. Not long to wait.

I'll pay closer to the end of August using savings & credit card.

How much is your tuition fees for your course?
Its a problem for me as well. My fees are £2500 (£6K) cheaper than yours, but I will be commuting from Stansted to ICL. Now you can imagine how much that will cost, as it will be train fee + tube/oyster fees.

I was thinking of getting a 3-4 month season ticket for the train at a time and also seeing what type of travel card (monthly or longer) and put that on a student 18+ oyster card. I don't want to buy a train and season ticket for a whole year (unless its much cheaper than buying a 3 to 4 monthly ticket at a time throughout the year). Not sure.
LOL, don't be jealous...I just worked out how much it will cost for my rail fares (£3600 for a year) + travelling from Tottenham Hale (ZONE 3) in the NE of London to SK. Its bound to cost about £1000 for annual travel card (with 18+ student oyster card) for that, so I'm looking at a total travelling costs of £4600 for the year. I'll have a look at prices on TFL. Cos I'll be travelling during peak time, I won't be able to take advantage of off-peak rates etc.

In terms of where I'll be based, it all depends on the projects, so won't know until after I start.
(edited 11 years ago)
Thx dude :biggrin:. I believe, as long as I'm in full-time education and studying in London at a recognised institution, I would be able to apply for a 18+ student oyster. I have to wait til the 1 Sept to put in an application (that's what it says on the TfL oyster site).

Doing this MRes better pay off, as its gonna cost a hell of a lot of money :redface:.
:crossedf:
That is proper bad isn't it! I know the feeling...:angry:. Hopefully this will help, but as we know there's no guarantees in life...we'll just have to wait and see. In the meantime, let's do our best and get out with good grades in our master's.

I was hoping to do a PhD after this, but it all depends on what else is happening in my personal life and my relationship. As things stand, I may not continue with this MRes come Sept. If I do, I may decide to just get a research assistant job or something. I've been applying for PhD's just with my u/g degree, but its soooo competitive out there, that I've decided maybe this MRes will help.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 597
Did you have a good weekend mate? Any news?

Hey I am back home mate, how are you?
Yes, I have decided to accept my offer at Imperial which I am very excited about!:smile:
I will write you a private message as soon as I get the chance to let you know more...
Original post by skyliner
Hey I am back home mate, how are you?
Yes, I have decided to accept my offer at Imperial which I am very excited about!:smile:
I will write you a private message as soon as I get the chance to let you know more...

Glad you back, I'm sure you'll be missing your mother's cooking :colone:.

Can't wait to hear the details...many congratulations mate :congrats:...you are now going to where you want to be :biggrin:.
Personal issues which is and will continue to severely affect my finances going forward. That is why I tried to get a scholarship, but failed. I'm in two minds at the moment. If I don't do this course - or any other- now, I probably won't be able to do it in the future (this is my last -chance saloon moment).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending