The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Katie Heskins
Do you think students should be allowed to apply to both Oxford and Cambridge?

Why aren't they allowed?

Why do you think?
Reply 2
Katie Heskins
Do you think students should be allowed to apply to both Oxford and Cambridge?

Why aren't they allowed?

If people were allowed to apply for both there would be twice the set amount of interviews and would overwhelm the colleges. So to make it easier for the colleges on Oxbridge capable students they limit them to 1 university 1 college. Imagine if you applied to 6 colleges in your ucas forms, times all the Oxbridge applicants twice.
Reply 3
Tek
Why do you think?

Is that a typo, or are you being cutting?
Reply 4
It would potentially double the application numbers to each one, since everyone applying to one would also apply to the other just in case, as a back up. This would really mess things up for the applications managers, since no two other unis are in such close competition.
Reply 5
I can see why it would be impossible to interview 22 000 students, but I think there would be a huge benefit. Harvard and Yale manage. Though I'm not sure they have a superior or even equivalent admissions procedure.
you could always get good at organ and apply to both.

MB
Reply 7
fishpaste
I can see why it would be impossible to interview 22 000 students, but I think there would be a huge benefit. Harvard and Yale manage. Though I'm not sure they have a superior or even equivalent admissions procedure.

Harvard and Yale don't interview (well not in remotely the same way at least).
Reply 8
The main reason why (I think) that rule exists is so that each university can hold face against the other. Because of the traditional competitiveness between the two universities, I think they have some sort of pact through which each is able to encourage its own set of applicants without competing against the other. The rule therefore sets Oxbridge out as 'slightly different' than every other university in the country, which is actually really snobbish. There has to be one rule for them and one rule for everyone else. You have to be either an Oxonian or a Cantabrian, and nothing in between. Which is a bit stupid.
I was under the impression that organ scholars can apply to both?
Joey_Johns
I was under the impression that organ scholars can apply to both?

Yes, they can.
hildabeast
Yes, they can.

Hmm. Weird...
savvy10
Is that not what he just said?

indeed it was.

MB
Reply 13
fishpaste

It would also bugger up the way they allocated offers - with the current system they more or less expect people to take up their Oxbridge offer, whereas if people applied to both, they would have no way of knowing and wouldn't be able to make the right number of offers for them to fill all their places.
Reply 14
Helenia
It would also bugger up the way they allocated offers - with the current system they more or less expect people to take up their Oxbridge offer, whereas if people applied to both, they would have no way of knowing and wouldn't be able to make the right number of offers for them to fill all their places.

Good thinking batwoman. Nice to see the word "bugger" in use - being from Devon I say it a lot here in Cam and don't realise that some people find it offensive and not just an expression.
blissy
Good thinking batwoman. Nice to see the word "bugger" in use - being from Devon I say it a lot here in Cam and don't realise that some people find it offensive and not just an expression.

"Bugger" is the greatest word in the English language:smile:

Apart from possibly "bamboozle"...
Reply 16
kildare
Harvard and Yale don't interview (well not in remotely the same way at least).

I know. But they still are clearly picking incredible students. Though I understand they can't be as confident that they're picking 'the best' applicants, because they'll never find out if they don't.
Reply 17
Helenia

But this is something that Harvard/Yale do. In fact, it's something which many unis in the UK have to deal with. How are Nottingham to know how many of their successful applicants will choose them over Warwick, or London, or Bath etc? They have 5 or 6 MAJOR competitors to deal with.
fishpaste
But this is something that Harvard/Yale do. In fact, it's something which many unis in the UK have to deal with. How are Nottingham to know how many of their successful applicants will choose them over Warwick, or London, or Bath etc? They have 5 or 6 MAJOR competitors to deal with.

A particular college might only accept a few people for a certain subject. It is not that unlikely that they would all decline or all accept the offers. At universities such as Nottingham where there is no collegiate system it will even out accross the whole university so its easier to predict how many will accept their offers.
Reply 19
Harry Potter
A particular college might only accept a few people for a certain subject. It is not that unlikely that they would all decline or all accept the offers. At universities such as Nottingham where there is no collegiate system it will even out accross the whole university so its easier to predict how many will accept their offers.

Hm, good point which I didn't think about. Although it must be getting on for this level of uncertainty for subjects like medicine or architecture in Notts/Bristol etc.

Having thought more about it, I know the US has that early action system, where you agree to tie yourself down to one uni and not apply to anything other leading institutions in order to increase your chances. Sounds even worse than our limits. So I guess I will have to admit it's a necessary thing.

Latest

Trending

Trending